retrkdr

RPi3B+ not booting after update/upgrade

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:19 pm

I have been using my RPi3B+ with an SSD for several months now with no issues. Today I decided it was time to update so I did.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade ( everything appeared just fine)
exit

From Raspbian opening screen, clicked on shutdown, then reboot. Raspbian screen did not come back. I have tried interrupting power and that does not bring it back either. The Red LED is lit continuously and the Green LED blinks rapidly 3 times, is off for about the same duration and blinks again 3x.. I have updated the Pi + SSD previously with no issues. The Pi is hooked up to my TV through HDMI and TV says" no source."

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

pcmanbob

Re: RPi3B+ not booting after update/upgrade

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:34 pm

From the pi not booting sticky

* 3 flashes: start.elf not found.

May be reading it would provide some suggestions.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

RonR

Re: RPi3B+ not booting after update/upgrade

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 pm

I'm assuming you've been booting to the SSD without an SD inserted.

If all else fails, you can try the following:

1. Use Etcher is write a fresh Raspbian image to an SD card and boot it. You can use Raspbian Lite if you're comfortable using SSH (don't forget to put an 'ssh' file in the boot partition).

2. Run usb-boot. Answer 'No' to 'Use SD card to boot the USB device (recommended)?' Answer 'No' to 'Replicate BOOT/ROOT contents from /dev/mmcblk0 to /dev/sdX?'. This will simply reset /boot/cmdline.txt and /etc/fstab on the SSD to the appropriate contents.

3. When usb-boot is finished, shutdown (halt), remove power, and remove the SD card.

4. Apply power and see if the SSD boots properly.

If the SSD still won't boot, you can try the following:

1. Remove power, re-insert the SD card created above, and apply power.

2. Run usb-boot again. Answer 'Yes' to 'Use SD card to boot the USB device (recommended)?' Answer 'No' to 'Replicate BOOT/ROOT contents from /dev/mmcblk0 to /dev/sdX?'.

3. When usb-boot is finished, leave the SD card inserted and reboot.

If the SSD still won't boot, it appears something catastrophic went wrong during your update.

Return to “Troubleshooting”