TimoMF

Raspberry Pi 4 as floor display in elevator with LibreOffice Impress stops

Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:39 am

Hello dear Raspberry Pi community,

we already have a Raspberry Pi 3 as floors display in an elevator run. There is the Raspbian Jessie Lite on it. It is realized with a 2 page Impress presentation in a continuous loop.

Now more elevators are to follow with the Raspberry Pi 4b. Unfortunately, Impress stops there after some time.

I attach the sample file from Impress for testing for you. Also other veins and scripts, which have nothing to do with the problem but show you what I have in mind.
The error already occurs when the system is freshly set up and no changes have been made to install only LibreOffice after.
Screenshoot.png
Screenshoot.png (71.45 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
The two terminals have been to the temperastur control.

I tested this so far on the 'Raspbian Buster with desktop' 2019-07-10 with LibreOffice 6.1.5.
Also with the 'Raspbian Buster Lite' with GUI installed and LibreOffice 6.1.5 the error occurs.
On the Lite I also tried an upgrade to the bullseye. LibreOffice 6.3.0 RC2 is already on it. there, too, is the same error.

Is my Raspberry Pi 4b with 4GB defective or is it due to Raspbian or the firmware?

If it's a heat problem I've already clocked the Pi down to 1000Mhz. Which also brought no improvement.

Greeting Meyer-Franke
Attachments
Display-Daten.rar
Example Files
(38.75 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

TimoMF

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 as floor display in elevator with LibreOffice Impress stops

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:02 am

In the meantime I set up ArchLinux with LXDE.
In yesterday's version of ArchLinux, as Stabiele LibreOffice scon has been the 6.2.6.
Unfortunately, there is also the problem that the Impress presentation remains standing. But everything else is still running.

Can you please test if your Raspberry Pi 4 runs through the presentation over a longer period of time.
In the first post there is a RAR where the sample file is in the folder Impress.

In the elevators, it is supposed to run daily from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Greeting Timo

espneon

Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:27 pm

Good afternoon, I have seen this issue on the Raspian "buster" lite image on a RaspberryPi3 (I keep it really light, add a gui-xwindows, etc). I am using version 6.1.5.2. My temp is 44 degrees and everything is running normally when impress stops the slideshow at a random slide. If I press the arrow keys it will continue again until is randomly stops and at a slide again. I checked logs and couldn't find anything listed at the time it stopped but know it occurs after approximately an hour.

Are you using any installing any specific packages for kiosk like function (I use unclutter for other programs)? I tried both the command line and running it from the impress application itself and they both exhibit the same quirk of stopping and not progressing after some time. I'll be testing some more settings to see if there is something specific to the impress application itself and will update you if I find anything.

TimoMF

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:29 am

Thanks a lot for checking it out.

It's the same with me too. A couple of times I can restart the presentation with a mouse click or a keystroke. It also happens, however, that Impress hangs completely away.

Let's see if it's fixed, maybe by Raspbian.

Greeting Timo

Appeh

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Did you folks manage to fix this? It seems to still be a problem on the latest noob build ( 2019-09-30 - version 3.2.1 ) with LibreOffice 6.1.5.2. I have tried multiple kinds of presentation files: potx, pptx and made a test one in Impress itself ( otp? ). The looping slideshow just stopped at a random slide. When I check with top I notice 100% CPU for loffice. When I click the slide to advance, CPU usage goes down and the slideshow works for another 40-60 minutes, then pauses again.

bushtor

Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:09 am

I have exactly the same problem. Any news on this issue?

Are you sure that it is a LO problem or can it be RPi..?

How can we best 'apply some gentle pressure' to escalate this a bit?

I assume that many would be interested in using the RPi to show Impress files in autorepeat mode...

regards

Tor

TimoMF

Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:53 am

Unfortunately, I have not found a correct solution yet.
I myself Export the pages as PNG and let them display with the PQIV.

The problem also exists with the Raspberry Pi 3 with Buster.
That's why I'm typing on the OS or LO as a problem.

With stretch it should still work on the Pi3. just not with Buster. Since Stretch does not work on the Pi4, I just do the workaround described above.

I also hope that the error is eliminated.

Pressure can probably not rather exercise on the Foundation, but hope that read our thread here and take care of the matter.

Greeting Timo

Jay5181

Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:48 am

We too are experiencing this issue with impress on a pi4 it will randomly stop on a slide and wait for a click and once clicked it will carry on. this was for a reception area display TV showing information about the site etc. only 24 slides mostly text. The client wants the slide show for ease of use and has tried saving the files to png and doing it that way but he thinks this is to complicated for his staff and wants the slide show. Are we best to downgrade from a pi 4 to a 3 or does impress do the same there?? If so suggestions to make this work would be useful.

TimoMF

Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:06 pm

The mistake does not seem to be the Pi4 but Buster.
Under Jessie and Stretch it should work.
Jessie I tested myself and stretch a user here in the thread.

when switching to the Pi3 also change to stretch, as with Buster also with the Pi3 the error should exist.

Greeting Timo

Steve Foley

Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:27 pm

I had a similar issue (random pauses in Libreoffice Impress) trying to set up an unattended continuous display. I ended up exporting the powerpoint presentation to a video (default is mp4 format) and setting up the Pi 4 to loop the video using VLC.

It's only slightly more complicated for the user, but runs without problem. I also found a $39 media server on amazon that will essentially do the same thing (repeat a video on powerup)

Nunof

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:26 am

I hope this thread necromancy isn't too annoying, but I wanted to share in case others run into this in the future.

I too am having issues on Raspbian with Impress slide shows randomly stopping instead of continuously looping. I have however been able to get it working with the fairly recently released PI 4 version of Ubuntu.

Specifically I installed Ubuntu 64 bit server. Installed the xubuntu desktop with sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop and then installed Libre Office from the repositories. After that I copied over the same presentation that was failing under Raspbian and it ran flawlessly. I've had the slide show loop continuously for over 48 hours on more than one occasion. Only stoppping when I wanted to use my Pi 4 for something else.

I hope this is helpful to others.

paniqueado

Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:57 am

I got a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for a similar project. And slideshow on TV, but I have the same issue.
So, there is no fix for this in Raspbian? The best will be to install ubuntu?

Regards!

Added: The workaround that I found for now is using xdotool to press spacebar every 30 minutes.

Nunof

Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am

paniqueado wrote:
I got a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ for a similar project. And slideshow on TV, but I have the same issue.

Regards!

Added: The workaround that I found for now is using xdotool to press spacebar every 30 minutes.
So far installing Ubuntu is the only way I've managed to get it working, but I'm very much a nooby when it comes to Linux.

I am curious about your xdotool workaround. I had seen it mentioned before, but hadn't tried it because it seemed like it would be annoying to have spaces being input if you were trying to do something else on the Pi. Can it be set up to only do the spaces if the slideshow is running in the foreground or do you have to remember to turn it off anytime you're doing something else.

Main reason I ask is that the people who will be interacting with they system I'm setting up are not computer savvy at all and would likely struggle with it.

Cheers!

TimoMF

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:04 pm

paniqueado wrote:
How did you instill the xdotool into crontab?
Somehow it didn't work out for me.

by SSH, this works

DISPLAY=:0 xdotool key space

only not in crontab

Greeting Timo

MiamiRedFish3

Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:05 pm

Hi, I faced the same issue and posted this bug to libreoffice, but no reply yet or any acknowledgement...

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=131294

Another user also apparently submitted a bug to libreoffice. But I don't see any traction yet.
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/sho ... ?id=128715

Hope they will rectify it soon. Thanks.

paniqueado

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:16 pm

Nunof wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:27 am
paniqueado wrote:

Regards!

So far installing Ubuntu is the only way I've managed to get it working, but I'm very much a nooby when it comes to Linux.

I am curious about your xdotool workaround. I had seen it mentioned before, but hadn't tried it because it seemed like it would be annoying to have spaces being input if you were trying to do something else on the Pi. Can it be set up to only do the spaces if the slideshow is running in the foreground or do you have to remember to turn it off anytime you're doing something else.

Main reason I ask is that the people who will be interacting with they system I'm setting up are not computer savvy at all and would likely struggle with it.

Cheers!
You need to shut it down every time, but is not a big deal. It is running in a terminal window all the time, and if you need to turn it off just close it and re open it when needed again.

paniqueado

Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:19 pm

TimoMF wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:04 pm
paniqueado wrote:
How did you instill the xdotool into crontab?
Somehow it didn't work out for me.

by SSH, this works

DISPLAY=:0 xdotool key space

only not in crontab

Greeting Timo
I just did a basic script running in a terminal and that is it. Just need to keep that terminal window open running the script. Let look for the script and I will copy it here.

TimoMF

Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 am

paniqueado wrote: I just did a basic script running in a terminal and that is it. Just need to keep that terminal window open running the script. Let look for the script and I will copy it here.

Did you find the script?
I would be very interested in the solution.

Greeting Timo

MiamiRedFish3

Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:19 pm

Unsure if xdotool tool will work? Because when the libreoffice slideshow gets to this state i.e. not moving anymore, even if you hit the up/down arrow keys, the slideshow will respond for maybe 1 or 2 slides and completely disappear after. This to me indicates more of a memory issue or the java jvm combination with libreoffice on Buster ...

TimoMF

Wed May 13, 2020 6:00 am

The update recently brought no improvement.

Now update 1:6.1.5-3+rpi1+deb10u6+rpt1 has arrived.
Let's see if that solves the problem.
They seem to be at work.

I have now integrated xdotool. It helps at least so that he gets out much later.
But then Impress also hangs. Which was unfortunately predictable.

That you could always get Impress to continue with a push of a button
for a while until he got stuck.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# Bei der Verzeichniss Angabe das / am Anfang und Ende nicht vergessen
verzeichniss_impress=/home/pi/Display-Daten/Impress/
verzeichniss_sh=/home/pi/Display-Daten/SH/
# Ausfüren wird gleich auf 1 gesetzt damit sofort die Impress-Datei gestartet wird
ausfueren=1

while true
do
	# Starten der Datei. Es geht nach Dateinamen Beispiel: 05-2016-12-31
	if [ $ausfueren -eq 1 ];
	then
		rm $verzeichniss_impress.~lock.*
		sleep 20s
		start_odp=$(ls -r1 $verzeichniss_impress*.odp | head -n1)
		soffice --show --norestore $start_odp 2>/dev/null &
		ausfueren=0
	fi

# Hier ist die Pause bis zur nächsten Prüfung einzutragen.
	sleep 5m

# Es wird geprüft ob LibreOffice 'soffice.bin' gestartet ist.
	if pidof soffice.bin >/dev/null;
	then
		# xdotool macht fürt eine Leerteste aus damit es weiterläuft.
		WID=$(xdotool search --onlyvisible --class soffice|head -1)
		xdotool windowactivate ${WID}
		xdotool key space
		# Wenn LibreOffice gestartet ist wird geprüft ob eine neuere Datei vorhanden ist.
		aktuell_odp=$(ls -r1 $verzeichniss_impress*.odp | head -n1)
		if [ "$start_odp" != "$aktuell_odp" ]; then
			pkill soffice
			ausfueren=1
		fi
	else
		# Wenn LibreOffice nicht gestartet ist soll es neu starten.
		ausfueren=1
	fi	
done
Greeting Timo

TimoMF

Wed May 13, 2020 11:23 am

Unfortunately, the error persists.

If it gets stuck, a core is 100% full and the ram is not full.

Greetings Timo

Return to “Troubleshooting”