DanMa

stuck on rainbow screen

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 am

Hello,

i have a raspberry pi 4b with 4 GB RAM.

I have a Samsung Micro SD Card installed with 64 GB.

I formatted it with the application h2format, Downloaded the NOOBS (Offline and network install) and extracted this to the Fat32 formatted SD Card.

I plugged in the SD Card (Keyboard, Mouse, Mini HDMI<->TV ) and i installed the Raspbian over it.

Now after some tests and doings i want to reinstall everything newly so i formatted the SD Card again and so on (same steps as before).

My problem is, that my raspberry pi stucks now on the rainbow screen.

If i check the SDCard content (on a WINDOWS 10 PC) i can see that the SD Card has only one partition (named RECOVERY) with a size of 2,20 GB.
I get also a message that another partition has to be formatted.

I read a lot. Many peoples describes this issue with a fix to change some settings in a config.txt file under a boot folder.
But in the RECOVERY partition is no /boot folder.

Has anyone a idea what i could do?

Greetings

Daniel

DougieLawson

Re: stuck on rainbow screen

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 am

Forget NOOBS.

Get plain Raspbian from: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Get Etcher from: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Use Etcher to overwrite your SDCard with plain Raspbian (you don't even need to unzip the compressed Raspbian download as Etcher does that for you).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:31 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 am
Forget NOOBS.

Get plain Raspbian from: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Get Etcher from: https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Use Etcher to overwrite your SDCard with plain Raspbian (you don't even need to unzip the compressed Raspbian download as Etcher does that for you).

+ 100% NoobS is past its use by date for the unaware.
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:31 am
+ 100% NoobS is past its use by date for the unaware.
I still haven't worked out why the RPF/RP(T) folks haven't grasped PINN as a complete replacement for NOOBS for the folks that need the multiboot (and the one's who can't fathom using Etcher and Raspbian).

PINN has some distinct advantages including the ability to update PINN itself for new hardware.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

HawaiianPi

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:39 am

NOOBS requires FAT16 or FAT32 formatted cards, and the default format for cards larger than 32GB is exFAT (which is not compatible with NOOBS). You can use the Fat32format GUI utility to format drives up to 2TB with the FAT32 filesystem.

Like others above have posted, I don't bother with NOOBS. I use the Raspbian images installed with Etcher. It's simpler because you don't have to worry about the card's format, or even extract the image from the .zip download. Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your SD card and write.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

DanMa

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:08 am

Thanks to all.

I want to use NOOBS because with NOOBS i get a complete fresh installation where i can setup my things like language and everthing else before installation and have not to change after. But since its not working anymore with NOOBS i use your suggested installation process by putting Raspbian directly on the SDCARD with etcher. It works. I changed now my keyboard language and so on..

@HawaiianPi i have formatted it as FAT32 as mentioned in my initial post. I used for that the application h2format because as you correctly said is Windows not allowing it to format drives with a size of 64 GB as FAT32.

Would only be interesting why NOOBS is not working anymore..

DougieLawson

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:35 am

NOOBS won't boot if your SDCard has the wrong formatting for the NOOBS partition.

If you want NOOBS there's a version of PINN you can write to an SDCard using Etcher.
https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... ME_PINN.md

PINN is a million times better than NOOBS because of all the added functions.

Return to “Troubleshooting”