HankB

[Pi4B] hdmi_blanking=1 does not power down idle monitor

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Hi all,
I'm driving a DVI monitor via micro-HDMI -> HDMI -> DVI adapter. I've added "hdmi_blanking=1" to /boot/config.txt but the monitor remains powered up when the screen blanks. With Raspbian/Stretch on older Pis (2B, 3B, 3B+) this worked to put the monitor into low power mode when the Pi blanked the screen. (Of course the older devices used a single HDMI->DVI cable, if that matters.)

Is thre a way to get this working on the Pi4B?

Thanks!

andrum99

Re: [Pi4B] hdmi_blanking=1 does not power down idle monitor

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:58 pm

The hdmi_blanking=1 option has not yet been implemented on the Pi 4. You will have to wait a bit for the software to be written. The reason for this is that most of the display software to support the Pi 4 is new, because the hardware is so different, and not all features have been implemented yet.
Last edited by andrum99 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HankB

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 am

Thanks for the reply. Given a choice between getting the Pi4 now or waiting for every last little bit to be completed I'm happy to have it now and be patient for little bits like this.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:01 am

HankB wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:50 am
Thanks for the reply. Given a choice between getting the Pi4 now or waiting for every last little bit to be completed I'm happy to have it now and be patient for little bits like this.
Thanks. You would be surprised how many people think we should delay launches until their particular feature is implemented. USB boot is one, quite a bit of stick sent our way - "Released before ready" etc, simply because USB isn't done yet. They seem completely oblivious to the fact that their use case isn't the only use case. The fact that full USB boot wasn't available on any Pi models until the Pi3B+ anyway seem to pass them by!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Troubleshooting”