Luutifa

Power components overheating, Pi crashing

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

I got my Pi a few weeks ago, and I was very happy to get using it right away with my mobile charger, ofc a little of Ethernet&USB problems with only a 700mA power.

Then I finally got my Pi accessories from another webshop.

It had a power supply, Goobay regulated "Rotary Switch" 1.5A.
I have followed the instructions and set it to 5v.

However, when using this, sometimes the voltage regulator an/or capacitor (I'm not sure which) in the bottom left corner get REALLY hot, a pain to touch, really. Once even a faint smell came out of it. Also the Pi has crashed a few times (Screen goes blank,then immediately boots back up)

With my 700mA Samsung cellphone charger I haven't experienced such things. (The reg does heat up, but not to any crazy temps)

I don't have any measurement equipment of any sort for this.

So I'm blaming the power supply, and I emailed the provider of the supply already, but I just want to ask that, is there any chance that my Pi is faulty? I don't want to end up in a situation where I really need my Pi (Like the Assembly Summer 2013, where I'm gonna take this), and have it break. Or expect it to last for decades, but then it breaks just after the warranty (Don't we have 1yr?) is over.

Also how much this might have taken away from the lifetime of my Pi? :?

OH! I do have one more question, is it bad if the Pi can boot from only having a powered USB hub plugged in? (obviously it doesn't work well like that) (And I don't mean being powered from an USB hub, I mean getting power just by having a hub plugged in.)

Thanks in advance!

PS. I'm posting this from my Pi, w/ the cellphone charger. Absolutely love it! It kinda feels like it has a soul, unlike those powerful fancy modern PCs.

obcd

Re: Power components overheating, Pi crashing

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:26 pm

not sure what power adapter you are using. Some of the older ones are totally unregulated, so it might as well provide 6V instead of 5V. That would explain why things heat up on the Pi board. You really should buy some cheap AVO meter and check the output voltage of the supply. It's also usefull to check the condition of batteries, so it's handy to have it around. It's hard to tell what damage has happend, but if things start to smell funny, it's usually not very good.

Return to “Troubleshooting”