skyeg3

Black Screen Total Newb

Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:31 am

Brand Brand new to this. Just tried putting everything together and I get nothing...

I bought a Pi Zero W. Plugged in keyboard to pi. Plugged mouse into keyboard. Put NOOBS card in. Plugged in screen and power to screen. Plugged in power but the screen just said no signal and is now black. I have a solid green light on the pi. I thought it would just boot up on the screen? Help. Thanks.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Black Screen Total Newb

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 am

skyeg3 wrote:
Brand Brand new to this. Just tried putting everything together and I get nothing...

I bought a Pi Zero W. Plugged in keyboard to pi. Plugged mouse into keyboard. Put NOOBS card in. Plugged in screen and power to screen. Plugged in power but the screen just said no signal and is now black. I have a solid green light on the pi. I thought it would just boot up on the screen? Help. Thanks.
Boot Problems, 7 years worth of knowledge:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

skyeg3

Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:57 am

Thanks man

PhatFil

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:08 am

skyeg3 wrote:

If a NOOBS card supplied with the kit you have no idea how old it is. While it may seem like an attractive bundle buy to a newcomer to Pi its often a stumbling block.

If you really need NOOBS download it and use balena-etcher to rewrite your sd card with the latest version.

However your probably much better off just downloading the raspbian Buster image and using that. (smaller quicker to d/load.. AND WAY LESS HASSLE imho)
etcher is foolproof point it at the zip file downloaded and the sd card and click start ;)

Raspbian is the O/S that has the most use and user support as well as tested working s/w and systems for you to use and learn. Certainly the best option to start with, and you can always download NOOBS to another sd card to see whats on offer later too.

skyeg3

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks FatPhil.

I ended up erasing the card using SD card formatter on my mac, then dropping in the NOOBS files but still same result. I think the issue may be the screen I'm using that I bought off amazon. One Amazon reviewer did say he had trouble with the pi as well but he had a fix for it. My next plan of attack it to boot up the pi headless. That will be a way easier way for me to deal with these things anyway as I lack dexterity in my hands. Question: I've been using my mac to rewrite these SD cards as my pc doesn't have a slot. Will that cause issues if I'm adding code to the SD card files on the mac then trying to communicate with the pi using PuTTY on pc? Thanks.

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:06 pm

What screen are you using (got a link)?

The only issue I'm aware of on Mac OS is how it automatically replaces straight quotes with curly quotes, and that breaks any Linux configuration files with quotes in the parameters (like wpa_supplicant.conf, which is used with headless boot for WiFi connections). You can disable that in configuration settings, but it's been a long time since I've messed with a Mac, so I can't tell you exactly how to do it (sorry).

Another option for the Pi Zero is to use USB Gadget Mode, which makes the Pi Zero act as a USB Ethernet adapter and allows you the SSH in over USB with no external network connection.

This is an older guide, but is mostly still relevant and one of the easier ones to follow.
https://blog.gbaman.info/?p=791

Or, you could try the Raspbian Lite image I have pre-configured for USB Gadget mode (SSH over USB with no network connection).
Click to download 2019-04-08-raspbian-stretch-lite_Pi0USB.zip
SHA-256: 6ca1bbd5ddc469e52414079d7759c6e22854d55aa3da0f0b5e2943de3c49eb92

It's the default Raspbian Stretch Lite image with Pi0(W) USB Ethernet Gadget mode pre-configured (config.txt/cmdline.txt files modified and empty "ssh" file added with no other changes). Just write it you your SD card with Etcher and don't modify anything.
  • Put the card in your Pi0 or Pi0W
  • Connect a normal micro USB data cable to the USB data port of the Pi0 (the one closest to HDMI)
  • Do not connect anything to the power port (the one closest to the outer edge)
  • Connect the other end of the micro USB cable to your main PC and the Pi0 should start to boot
  • Note that the first boot can take awhile, so give it a minute or two before you try to SSH in
It should boot up in USB Ethernet Gadget mode, and you can SSH into: pi@raspberrypi.local (or pi@raspberrypi)

Up-to-date versions of Windows 10 support mDNS hostname resolving, but older versions will need an mDSN service installed. Download and install Apple's Bonjour Print Services to get Zeroconf (mDNS) on older versions of Windows. For a cleaner install (minus extra Apple nonsense you don't need) extract BonjourPSSetup.exe to a folder and just install Bonjour64.msi (or Bonjour.msi for 32-bit).

If it doesn't work, check Device Manager to see what driver (if any) was installed.

If you don't see this USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget driver,
then something is wrong with your Windows system and you can try this driver (all the details match the driver installed by my Win10 system). Other hardware - Acer USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget

If you DO see that driver but it has a problem, right click on it and uninstall it, then click on scan for hardware changes in the Action menu. If that doesn't fix it you can try the driver linked above.

This image was tested and confirmed working with a Pi0W and a Pi0v1.3 with a USB WiFi dongle on my Windows 10 notebook.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

skyeg3

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:58 pm

Link for the screen:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076G ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm waiting to get my card reader from amazon then I can work on these things a little easier without going back and forth on the mac to pc. Thanks for the instruction Hawaiian Pi.

HawaiianPi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:33 pm

To boot your Pi0W headless, you can either use USB Gadget mode as I suggested above, or you can configure a card for headless boot.

For headless boot with wireless networking and SSH enabled:
  1. Download the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
  2. Download the Etcher software from https://www.balena.io/etcher/
  3. Use Etcher to write the Raspbian image to your SD card.
    • You don't need to extract the image or format the card prior to writing.
    • Just run Etcher, choose the Raspbian .zip you downloaded, pick your SD card and write.
    • If you have trouble, verify the SHA256 checksum of the download.
    • Writing an image to your card will erase everything previously on it!
  4. Remove and reinsert the SD card so that your Windows or Mac PC can see the small FAT32 partition on the card (labelled "boot").
    • If you get a message telling you the card must be formatted, cancel it.
  5. On that small FAT32 partition, create a file with the name ssh (or ssh.txt). It can be empty, the contents don't matter.
  6. To connect to a wireless network, create another file on the card called wpa_supplicant.conf, which has the following inside:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
    update_config=1
    country=GB

network={
         ssid="Your network name/SSID"
         psk="Your WPA/WPA2 passphrase"
         key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
    }
    • Edit country=, ssid= and psk= with your information and save the file.
    • Use the 2 letter country abbreviation in CAPS (without this you will have no WiFi).
    • Use a pure text editor, not a word processor, to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
  7. Make sure that both files are in the main directory of the small FAT32 partition, not in any folder.
  8. Safely eject the card from your PC and use it to boot the Pi.
Wait for the Pi0W to boot (first boot is slow and can take a minute or two, depending on the the SD card), then you should be able to SSH into pi@raspberrypi.local (or pi@raspberrypi). This assumes you don't have other Raspberry Pi computers on your network with the same default hostname (if you do, then you'll have to find the IP address of your Pi0W in your router's client list or with a network scanner app).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

skyeg3

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:37 am

Dam I really thought I did everything right but its not connecting on PuTTY.
error.JPG
error.JPG (16.49 KiB) Viewed 526 times
I tried putting in raspberrypi as well as raspberrypi.local for host name on PuTTY to no avail. Its been plugged in for about 10 minutes now.

Hmmm I'll try looking through the boot drive again for mistakes but I really thought I did it all right...

Thx so much for the help. Really really appreciate the thoughtful responses.
Attachments
error.JPG
error.JPG (16.49 KiB) Viewed 526 times

skyeg3

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:15 am

This is the boot file I have and the .conf file. When I run this on the pi zero W the green light blinks 2 or 3 times and stops. The first time I ran it the light blinked for a minute or so... but still not able to connect via PuTTY.
j.JPG
j.JPG (120.17 KiB) Viewed 517 times

skyeg3

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:53 am

I've connected! Using the steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXXeIyLJvlI The wpa_supplicant.conf text file had some differences in the code...

Michiel O.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:20 am

HawaiianPi wrote: The only issue I'm aware of on Mac OS is how it automatically replaces straight quotes with curly quotes
Where does this happen? The past 8 years I've worked with OS X and macOS and I've never seen this. But on Windows, MS Word does indeed automatically convert double quotes to curly quotes.
"You can't actually make computers run faster, you can only make them do less." - RiderOfGiraffes

Return to “Troubleshooting”