Duckey

No display (HDMI) signal after update

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Today I set up a new monitor on my SSD driven 3B+. After fighting the built in overscan on the monitor, and setting the resolution to perfection, I decided to do an update & upgrade. I noted a reminder to do a reboot to replace a running file. I can't remember which one it was, but it was near the end of the upgrade process.

When the upgrade had finished, I did the reboot. Now the monitor reports no signal. I know that the Pi is running, because this is a NAS and I can see and access the shared drive over my network. Unfortunately this is the only part of the NAS that is shared, and I can't seem to be able to use Putty to ssh in. I have the IP address of the Pi (at least the shared drive's IP), but the connection times out.

Any help to undo the changes that the upgrade made? Do I treat this as if no video was displayed on initial startup? Fighting my way into the case and SSD was not on my scheduled list of things to do today.

Duckey

Re: No display (HDMI) signal after update

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 pm

I put Buster on an SD card and booted from it. No problems there, HDMI output is spot on. Next I edited the config.txt on the SSD and told it to go to HDMI safe mode. I did a shutdown and then with the SD card removed, tried to boot from the existing SSD partition. Still no HDMI output from the Pi, but as before the PI is running and the Network Attached Storage drive is remotely accessible. I routinely access this machine locally, so loss of this access is a real pain.

Since this machine has been running for about 8 months without a problem, I guess that my problem lies somewhere in the last upgrade and the files it altered. Of my original post, it still begs the question, is there a way to "undo" an update/upgrade? DuckDuckGo search has poor results for working methods of doing this. One would need to be able to know every file that was altered, and try to figure out which one is responsible.

Since I cannot see anything that this machine is doing, I HATE to shut it down by holding in the power button. Although I own a few Pi's, I'm not enough of a Linux geek to figure this one out.

Is this an example of the mixed versions overlapping in the update/upgrade process? Is this a case of Buster files updating a Stretch distribution?

epyonxl

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:29 pm

Having a similar issue. Search results led me here but I've yet to come up with a better reason why it stops posting.

max11

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Same problem here:
Raspbian Stretch - i did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade ...
the configuration in config.txt is not used. I have hdmi_group=1, hdmi_mode=4 ..... ... but it doesn't show this configuration.
I have some stupid configuration which i can see via VNC ... but if i change it want to change it to hdmi_mode=4 it only offers DMT mode.......
I will undo the update via restore to previous version :(

Edit:
With the command tvservice i checked CEA and DMT modes.
I entered the correct values (HDMI_group=1, hdmi_mode=4 ..(in PINN and in Raspbian) ...

Before the update there were wrong values in Pinn and Raspbian ... but they didn't harm the boot process ....Raspbian always startet without problems

Duckey

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:50 am

I succeeded in rolling back the upgrade/update as described in this post:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... c74efc5763

The rollback fixed my problem. No more updates on this system until a Buster complete upgrade.

gandrew00

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Duckey wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:45 pm
Today I set up a new monitor on my SSD driven 3B+. After fighting the built in overscan on the monitor, and setting the resolution to perfection, I decided to do an update & upgrade. I noted a reminder to do a reboot to replace a running file. I can't remember which one it was, but it was near the end of the upgrade process.

When the upgrade had finished, I did the reboot. Now the monitor reports no signal. I know that the Pi is running, because this is a NAS and I can see and access the shared drive over my network. Unfortunately this is the only part of the NAS that is shared, and I can't seem to be able to use Putty to ssh in. I have the IP address of the Pi (at least the shared drive's IP), but the connection times out.

Any help to undo the changes that the upgrade made? Do I treat this as if no video was displayed on initial startup? Fighting my way into the case and SSD was not on my scheduled list of things to do today.
Same problem i am having

Funkboje

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 am

I boot my Raspberry Pi 3B from an USB-Stick. After an upgrade of Raspbian today, I reboot my Raspberry.
From this time on, I have no HDMI signal anymore.
The same problem.
---------------------------------------
Ulrich

Projekt Admin:
OPEN SOURCE Projekt: solaranzeige.de

dailymute

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:35 am

say what now?

ive been having issues with hdmi on pi 3 b.

having gone through everything i can find of threads im starting to loose faith in the hardware being healthy.

i had the splash screen first time i booted it, and could set it up, but after that - nothing.

do you recon a distro rollback would be sensible(this would also change the firmware?) and if it works just try a dist-upgrade ?

good work on fixing your issue!

edit: didnt make a difference.

Return to “Troubleshooting”