ikk

Is the raspberry pi 4 still prone to gpio shorting?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm

Hey,

Is the raspberry pi 4 still susceptible to getting killed if the gpio pins are shorted? Or has this issue been fixed?

(P.s. not sure if this is the correct category to post this)

Thanks

pcmanbob

Re: Is the raspberry pi 4 still prone to gpio shorting?

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:58 pm

I see no reason to suspect that the pi4 will not be susceptible to exactly the same damage as any previous pi.

Shorting 3.3V to ground
Shorting gpio pin to ground
Applying 5V to gpio pin

Will all result in damage to your pi and it's ultimate failure.
Last edited by pcmanbob on Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

LTolledo

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:11 pm

One thing for sure

The RPi4B (or any other RPi model for that matter) will not short its own GPIO....

it has to be done by "outside forces"....and the usual culprit is "human action"....
(well based on fish bone analysis, it mostly points down to "human factor" any which way you look at it...)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Imperf3kt

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:15 pm

ikk wrote:
Hey,

Is the raspberry pi 4 still susceptible to getting killed if the gpio pins are shorted? Or has this issue been fixed?

Thanks
This is an issue?
Ive shorted 5v to ground on a Pi3b for an extended time, I've shorted 3v3 to ground on a Pi3A+ (and every other pin was off by one because I attached something incorrectly), I've connected a GPIO set as an input, to something trying to use it as an output, and vice versa...

Not one of these actions has killed any of my Pi's yet.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

davidcoton

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:25 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Ive shorted 5v to ground on a Pi3b for an extended time, I've shorted 3v3 to ground on a Pi3A+ (and every other pin was off by one because I attached something incorrectly), I've connected a GPIO set as an input, to something trying to use it as an output, and vice versa...

Maybe (where do you get your luck from? Obviously a good batch :lol: )

Just don't accidentally short 3V3 to 5V (GPIO header pins 1&2 :shock: ), especially on a Pi3B+.
And don't accidentally connect a GPIO set as output to something that expects it to be an input (that's why series protection resistors of around 1K are recommended on GPIO inputs, in case they accidentally become outputs).
And don't put 5V (or higher voltage) anywhere near a GPIO.

All these things can (AKA will) damage and possibly destroy a Pi.
Signature retired

joan

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:19 pm

From personal experience the risks of shorting a high output GPIO to ground or a low output GPIO to 3V3 seem overstated. It has never caused any problems that I am aware of (all the Pis I have bought are still functioning).

hippy

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Others have reported rendering their Pi unbootable, otherwise inoperable, or seriously over-heating, having done a variety of those things.

You may have perhaps been lucky, though it could be that the evidence of any damage done has simply not materialised yet.

Shorting 3v3 to ground or to 5V, seem the most damaging with recent Pi's, potentially damaging the PMIC, preventing the Pi from booting. Shorting 5V to GPIO damaging the SoC, leading to over-heating.

pfletch101

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:03 pm

hippy wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:56 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Others have reported rendering their Pi unbootable, otherwise inoperable, or seriously over-heating, having done a variety of those things.

You may have perhaps been lucky, though it could be that the evidence of any damage done has simply not materialised yet.

Shorting 3v3 to ground or to 5V, seem the most damaging with recent Pi's, potentially damaging the PMIC, preventing the Pi from booting. Shorting 5V to GPIO damaging the SoC, leading to over-heating.
There seems to be some reason to believe that the 3B+ is more likely to respond badly to this sort of mishandling than earlier models, though it would probably not be wise to adopt a cavalier attitude to it on the latter.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:08 pm

ikk wrote:
Hey,

Thanks
No, or at least, it will be much MUCH less susceptible. (The problem on the 3B+ is shorting 3.3 to 5v)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ikk

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:08 pm
ikk wrote:
Hey,

Thanks
No, or at least, it will be much MUCH less susceptible. (The problem on the 3B+ is shorting 3.3 to 5v)
Alright thanks a lot! Got super confused by the replies above as some state that it is susceptible and some state otherwise. I’m glad i got a word from an engineer!

Return to “Troubleshooting”