Grant12311

Extreame screen tearing on Raspberry Pi 4

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:15 am

Hi. My brand new Raspberry Pi 4 (which I ordered as part of a desktop kit from Canakit) experiences extreame screen tearing all over the screen in all aspects of use (using raspbian full installed via NOOBS btw). I have tried using different HDMI cables, different TV hdmi ports, even different displays. I've reinstalled the OS several times and messed with various different resolutions and framerate options (including 30 and 60 herts). The problem is quite extreme and bothersome. It can be seen most prominently when moving around desktop windows or watching video playback. I also tested whatever the kodi distribution is in NOOBS. It also experienced tearing in menus but seemly a lot less in video playback (though I might have mearly been missing it at those times. Odd since its unmistakable in raspbian. Moving a window from the right to the left quickly can quite literally leave parts of the window behind for an instant. But, it's definitely in kodi's menus so I assume it's screen-wide again). Please help!

Artanis

Re: Extreame screen tearing on Raspberry Pi 4

Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Same issue here - running a simple web app in chromium full screen mode, and screen tearing while scrolling text and list items are terrible!

burny02

Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:42 am

Any progress on this? Having the same issue here

ovandriyanov

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:14 pm

Same problem here. Makes the thing completely unusable for me.

axcraig

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:03 pm

I have the same issue too. Horizontal tearing in the middle of the screen when scrolling in Chromium or dragging windows.

RichardRussell

Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:44 pm

This seems to be a significant flaw of the Raspberry Pi 4. To try to quantify what is going on I have produced a couple of 'waterfall' plots of Vsync timing. The horizontal timebase in each case is 100 milliseconds across the width of the plot, so a 'perfect' 60 Hz refresh would result in 6 vertical lines and a 50 Hz refresh would result in 5 vertical lines. Sloping lines indicate that the display refresh rate is not precisely locked to the 1000 Hz system timer.

The first is from a relatively fast desktop PC; the nominal display refresh rate is 60 Hz:
waterfall1.png
waterfall1.png (9.63 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
The refreshes are very regular, but are running slightly slow compared with the system timer. The second is from my Raspberry Pi 4; the nominal refresh rate is 50 Hz (since it is feeding a domestic TV via HDMI):
waterfall2.png
waterfall2.png (7.27 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
There is a lot more scatter, but instead of the five vertical lines that should result from a 50 Hz refresh the refreshes are clustered in ten columns, so some of the time there is a display refresh happening approximately half way through a frame! Tearing, roughly half way down the screen, is exactly what one would expect as a result.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:16 pm

Yes, we are aware. We just haven't yet figured out a way of fixing it.

And yes, we are aware of syncing updates to vsync.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jacob51697

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:02 pm

jamesh wrote: Yes, we are aware. We just haven't yet figured out a way of fixing it.

And yes, we are aware of syncing updates to vsync.
hello any update on this one? thanks

Tazman

Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 pm

Your updates are, unfortunately, lacking in both frequency and detail, much like the hdmi quality of the rpi4.
But, seriously, the usability of your new flagship product is greatly impacted by this issue. Your push for the rpi4 being a pc replacement, even for casual users, falls short on this count alone.
Please feel free to keep us updated, really, feel free!!!

Imperf3kt

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 pm

Tazman wrote:
Your push for the rpi4 being a pc replacement, even for casual users, falls short on this count alone.
Antagonising the Raspberry Pi foundation doesn't help.
As for your claim, it is nonsense.
My Pi4 works as a better PC than my ten year old AMD phenom 2, which cost me almost $2000 when I built it (compared to the $35Pi...) so I'd say that yes, it does work as a regular PC replacement very well.
It doesn't play my x86 games and it has its limitations, but every other PC I've ever owned had limits too and I can't run Mac software on them or Android for that matter. It all comes down to what you do with it
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:53 pm

Tazman wrote:
Your updates are, unfortunately, lacking in both frequency and detail, much like the hdmi quality of the rpi4.
But, seriously, the usability of your new flagship product is greatly impacted by this issue. Your push for the rpi4 being a pc replacement, even for casual users, falls short on this count alone.
Please feel free to keep us updated, really, feel free!!!
If we had anything to update you with, we would have updated you with it.

We currently do not know how to fix it, and are actually quite busy in some other areas.

If you know how to fix it, you can create pull request with the fix on our github repo. We'd certainly welcome help on this one.

Just as as aside, I have fairly new Samsung HD Smart TV. Yesterday, whilst playing back Altered Carbon on Netflix, it was tearing in a very odd fashion.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ejolson

Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:57 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:18 pm
Tazman wrote:
Your push for the rpi4 being a pc replacement, even for casual users, falls short on this count alone.
Antagonising the Raspberry Pi foundation doesn't help.
As for your claim, it is nonsense.
My Pi4 works as a better PC than my ten year old AMD phenom 2, which cost me almost $2000 when I built it (compared to the $35Pi...) so I'd say that yes, it does work as a regular PC replacement very well.
It doesn't play my x86 games and it has its limitations, but every other PC I've ever owned had limits too and I can't run Mac software on them or Android for that matter. It all comes down to what you do with it
Have you tried installing Linux on that old AMD Phenom PC? I'm using what is likely a similar Athlon64 X2 and it works great with Linux. As I didn't have the requisite micro HDMI cable when setting my 4B up, I can't comment on the screen tearing. However, I think most of my usage would be unaffected.

Still, it would be nice if video played back without tearing.

Imperf3kt

Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:05 am

No I haven't tried Linux on it, been meaning to try debian with rpi desktop, but I'll be honest - I can't stand Linux. I only use it on a Pi because it's the only supported OS.

However, this is not really the place to discuss the matter. I only mentioned it as an example of the Pi4b being used as a desktop replacement, which it dies rather well for 80% of my needs.

davidcoton

Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
it dies rather well
I do hope that is a misprunt :lol:
Signature retired

Imperf3kt

Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:35 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
it dies rather well
I do hope that is a misprunt :lol:
Most likely a misprint.
My mobile has an "auto incorrect" function where it changes words I type into what it thinks I meant...

semmyroundel

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:08 am

Hi all, I had posted a thread called "video choppy" but I now believe it to be screen tearing, I just didn't have the correct terminology to hand.
Interestingly, I don't have it extreme and it's only noticeable when either:
1. I scroll up or down quickly with the mouse wheel on a page, especially if it has a lot of photos on it.
2. Playing back video (streaming) .
Despite the fact that You Tube buffers differently to streaming other services, and that I changed to 100mbps Cat6 ethernet cable from wifi, I've concluded that the problem lies with settings/code or hardware limitations of the RPi4.
What may be of interest to some, I don't know, is the problems I had getting the puter to boot in the first place. It turned out that I had an inferior micro HDMI to HDMI cable, and once I'd switched to a high speed cable, I could see past the first two boot screens, the puter was booting ok but I just couldn't see it.

Now I mention this because it might be relevant as although I do suffer from screen tearing it's not terrifically bad as that diagram that was posted would indicate, or indeed, the descriptions that some have given.
Maybe some help would be gained by a short/high speed cable as I benefitted from.
Just an idea guys, in the meantime, I'll see what comes up on this thread.

zlurp

Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:30 am

I've been having the same issue. Massive screen tearing when dragging windows, watching video and, well, everything. I can't use my Pi for longer than 30 minutes as the motion is giving me a huge headache. Are these things faulty? If so I can return mine as it isn't fit for purpose.

jamesh

Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:42 am

zlurp wrote:
I've been having the same issue. Massive screen tearing when dragging windows, watching video and, well, everything. I can't use my Pi for longer than 30 minutes as the motion is giving me a huge headache. Are these things faulty? If so I can return mine as it isn't fit for purpose.
Not faulty, just the way it is until we find out why it's doing it and figure out how to mitigate it. I hardly notice it, but I don't watch any video.

Imperf3kt

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am

I find it hard to watch a video while dragging the window around the screen...
Leave the video in one spot or make it full screen and you'll barely notice the tearing, negating the pain it causes.

zlurp

Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:23 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:42 am
zlurp wrote:
Not faulty, just the way it is until we find out why it's doing it and figure out how to mitigate it. I hardly notice it, but I don't watch any video.

Good to hear it's being worked on. Scrolling web pages is so bad (for me) that I'll wait until there's a fix until I try using the Pi again. :)

semmyroundel

Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:30 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:12 am
I find it hard to watch a video while dragging the window around the screen...
Leave the video in one spot or make it full screen and you'll barely notice the tearing, negating the pain it causes.
Hi, that depends on what you term "barely notice", minimum it's subjective.
In fact when streaming, possibly because when the screen size is smaller, I find less noticeable than when I go full screen

perkunas

Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm

For my projects, i needed the video, and the Pi 4 simply doesn't work. The tearing is bad enough, but then it starts to skip frames, this not only effects the video, but audio. Maybe they needed to wait a little longer, to release the PI 4, It's unusable until a fix is found.

jamesh

Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:28 pm

perkunas wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:33 pm
For my projects, i needed the video, and the Pi 4 simply doesn't work. The tearing is bad enough, but then it starts to skip frames, this not only effects the video, but audio. Maybe they needed to wait a little longer, to release the PI 4, It's unusable until a fix is found.
Odd, lots of people using video playback with no problems, so almost certainly something to do with the specific format you are using, or some setup issue. Certainly not unusable as you claim.

sonicmouse

Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:05 pm

Playing mp4 encoded with h264, super compressed, very minimal bitrate. Screen tearing is super bad when a lot of action is going on in the scene.

Play the same video on the PI 3B+ and no issues, just a little laggy in parts.

It's a bummer! I need a higher-octane board, and the PI4 was it, but the tearing is a total show-stopper. Moving back to the Tinkerboard S which handles video just fine and has the balls to run tasks efficiently.

I really hope a fix comes out for this, because the PI4 is *right there*.

Ryarg

Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:32 pm

I fixed screen tearing for watching full screen video by first disabling the default compositor via raspi-config, then I installed compton, you can configure compton using a compton.conf file by adding it to the .config folder in your home directory. https://packages.debian.org/buster/compton

I've also read that just disabling the built in compositor works and compton isn't required, try this first, if there's no improvement try compton.

I'm also using compton on Manjaro KDE for the Pi 4 and it works - https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Picom

Return to “Troubleshooting”