tongri

after upgrade, unable to reboot

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:20 am

I have a rpi 3 B+ , and boot from an usb ssd for the last few months. Now after an 'apt upgrade' and rebooting the system doesn't reboot any more. I installed stretch on other usb sticks and also a usb HD but all with the same result. It installs OK, but doesn't reboot! I have tried with all the USB ports, still get the same issue. I also tried "sparkylinux" and "ubuntu mate" but those two, after installation and upgrade, booted ok! So it looks like it is just with Raspbian Stretch. Anybody had the same problem and was able to fix it? Or any knowledgeable user that could help, thank you.

uncraftablecreeper

Re: after upgrade, unable to reboot

Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:30 am

since stretch is replaced by buster its recommended to upgrade
THE PI IS A LIE :D

tongri

Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion uncraftablecreeper. However I have tried to install buster (standard, lite and noobs) from various usb devices, but I can not even boot any of them, just a blank screen. That is why I was trying to upgrade stretch. The strange thing is that the issues are only with raspbian, both ubuntu mate and sparkylinux boot and upgrade without any problem :-(

gkaiseril

Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:56 pm

Buster has a known issue with the USB boot not ready at this time. This means it is not working but is being worked on. So Buster might not be the best choice at this time.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Buster USB boot works perfectly on a 3B, 3B+, 3A+ and later model 2Bs.

The thing that kills it is
1. /boot/cmdline.txt having the wrong root= identifier.
2. /etc/fstab having the wrong PARTUUID values for /boot & / filesystems.

Check by booting from an SDCard and using the blkid command to check those things. Mount the USB filesystems and fix them.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

tongri

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 am

Thanks Douglas, I looked at this, but both /boot/cmdline identify and the /etc/fstab PARTUUID look OK:

sudo blkid:
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="boot" UUID="1193-F799" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="4152ab32-01"
/dev/sdb2: LABEL="rootfs" UUID="4bab068f-f791-48a4-8f8f-b4cf60c080a2" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="4152ab32-02"

fstab:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
PARTUUID=4152ab32-01 /boot vfat defaults 0 2
PARTUUID=4152ab32-02 / ext4 defaults,noatime 0 1

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:16 am

I just tried Stretch Lite on my 3B+ with a USB SSD and had no trouble (already tested Buster, so I know that works).

I wrote the last Raspbian Stretch Lite to a USB SSD with Etcher, booted up my 3B+ and ran sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y, followed by a reboot. System booted back up without a problem. Then I used raspi-config to set up my location stuff (country, timezone, etc) and was able to reboot again.

Whatever is happening to you doesn't seem to be a problem with Raspbian. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

RonR

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 am

tongri wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:20 am
I have a rpi 3 B+ , and boot from an usb ssd for the last few months. Now after an 'apt upgrade' and rebooting the system doesn't reboot any more.
When you were successfully booting the 3B+ from the USB SSD for the last few months, was the microSD card slot empty? If so, was the microSD slot empty when you did the upgrade and is the microSD slot still empty?

apemberton

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:55 am

I have had a similar problem of not being able to boot two of my Rp1 V1's after upgrading to Buster.

I had successfully upgraded three Pi V1's on Friday 19th and Saturday 20th. However upgrading on Sunday 22nd went fine until I rebooted as required. None of the updates have been trouble free and quite a number of '.postinst' files had to be removed, in particular owfs and bacula apps. All seems to be working now.

After investigation of the non-bootable Pi's, using another Debian system, I found that the /boot sector (/dev/mmcblk0p1) was missing file 'bootcode.bin'. Rsync-ing bootcode.bin file from one of the working Rpi V1's to the non-working sdhc seems to have allowed the unbootable systems to reboot. Due to other work, I have not been able to verify if the updates are fully successful but I am getting data from them now.

So it is missing 'bootcode.bin' that seems to have been my problem.

tongri

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:58 am

Hi RonR,

I do not remembered if I ever had a microSD while installing or upgrading in the past. However for the last 20 or so times I have tried to install and then upgraded the microSD slot was empty!

tongri

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:47 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:16 am
I just tried Stretch Lite on my 3B+ with a USB SSD and had no trouble (already tested Buster, so I know that works).

I wrote the last Raspbian Stretch Lite to a USB SSD with Etcher, booted up my 3B+ and ran sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y, followed by a reboot. System booted back up without a problem. Then I used raspi-config to set up my location stuff (country, timezone, etc) and was able to reboot again.

Whatever is happening to you doesn't seem to be a problem with Raspbian. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have only been successful in the last few weeks to install and upgrade ubuntu mate and sparkylinux 4.19. I couldn't install and then upgrade any of the raspbian (lite, noobs, lastest buster, etc...) OS. Today I tried to install the last sparkylinux 5 from an usb stick and then an usb HDD but only got a black screen :-( So it looks more like the issue is with some of the latest upgrades files or setup and my raspberry pi 3 b+

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 pm

Is it not booting, or not displaying video?

I just tried the Desktop version of Stretch, and after an update/upgrade cycle my monitor went into standby mode while rebooting and will not wake up. So it seems like a problem with HDMI or the video driver. I am still able to SSH into the system, so it is booting.

EDIT:
Resolution settings no longer work as well. I am able to establish a VNC remote desktop session, but only at the low default resolution. Resolution settings in config.txt are ignored.

EDIT #2:
Seems like we're not the only one with this problem.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=245554

HawaiianPi

Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 pm

Definitely a problem for USB booted systems only. I just tried it with a 16GB micro SD card and had no trouble after the update/upgrade.

Curiously, I was then able to clone the SD card to my USB-SSD with the SD card Copier utility, and it worked! So it's a problem with the upgrade process itself, rather than the updated packages (or so it seems).

tongri

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:28 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:03 pm
Definitely a problem for USB booted systems only. I just tried it with a 16GB micro SD card and had no trouble after the update/upgrade.

Curiously, I was then able to clone the SD card to my USB-SSD with the SD card Copier utility, and it worked! So it's a problem with the upgrade process itself, rather than the updated packages (or so it seems).
I did the same, installed Stretch on a 16GB SD card, then updated/upgraded. All was OK. Like you I then copied the SD card to an USB-HDD, and also an USB-SSD, and both worked fine. Rebooted a few times, no problem. I hope that when I need to do an update/upgrade it would still be working!!!

Also I tried the same step but with Buster, that didn't work. When booting from the usb devices I still get only a blank screen.

tongri

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:41 pm

This worked for me after upgrade of Stretch and also with Buster:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 8&t=245554

The problem was with HDMI after the kernel update :)

I just installed Buster on a usb HDD and by adding "hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080" to the config.txt
I also installed Stretch on an usb SSD which also gave me a black screen, then added the above line in config.txt and it also worked :D :D :D

Thanks to cormack for finding the solution.

Return to “Troubleshooting”