rkfortner15

SD card trouble

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:45 pm

I have a MicroSD card and it has been working real good until now. I accidentally unplugged my Pi 3 model b and now the SD card isn't formatting with the SD formatter, or erasing, and on my Mac,disk utility is no help either. In fact, none of my devices are recognizing it anymore. And it no longer works with the Pi. This is important because I need this SD card formatted. How do I fix it?
Thanks for all your help.

pcmanbob

Re: SD card trouble

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi.

I sounds like pulling the power to the pi has corrupted you SD card, it may have gone read only , not being a mac owner/user I can't say how the mac would report this.

I have had success reformatting a corrupt SD card using a digital camera , as they tend not to check the SD card before formatting and just over write what's ever there, but if you SD card has actually gone read only due to damage/failure then nothing is going to format it and replacement is the only option.

You could also try just writing a new img to the SD card using etcher, if etcher can see the SD card to write to it.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Try formatting it in a digital camera or phone.

Or make another Raspbian card for your Pi and see if it can detect the problem card (in a USB reader). If so, try erasing or overwriting it with dd. If you zero-fill the first 4K of the card you should be able to format it (that wipes the partition table and pre-data area of the card).

If you get a read-only error, the card is dead and needs to be replaced.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

rkfortner15

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 pm

I already tried all of those things. Replacement is the last place i'd want to go.

pcmanbob

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:33 pm

If you have tried all the above suggestions then it sounds like your SD card has gone read only,
So replacement is your only option.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:19 am

rkfortner15 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:24 pm
I already tried all of those things. Replacement is the last place i'd want to go.
Why is that? What is so terrible about replacing a micro SD card?

If your card is dead (undetectable or read-only locked) then that's the only place you have to go. Unless your 3B is actually a 3B+ or you have set the USB boot OTP bit on your 3B, in which case you can boot from a USB drive instead of an SD card.

If your card is still under warranty you can try to claim it, but be warned, if the manufacturer can read data off the card and discover that it was used as an OS drive on an SBC your warranty will likely be void.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”