blitzjay

Screen rotation issues

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:21 pm

Good Afternoon all,

I have recently got my hands on an RPi4 to replace my zero for different purposes. My zero was plugged in to a 1080p dell monitor rotated into portrait mode. Now using lcd_rotate & display_rotate on the zero works fine, however when i try it with the 4 the display DOES rotate but holds onto the 1920x1080 resolution. This makes half my display off the side of the monitor.

I hope you understand my problem! Any tips would be great.

Thanks

timur-m

Re: Screen rotation issues

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I am having the same issue with some older RPi's after upgrading to Buster: screen rotate 90º (display_rotate=1) isn't working anymore with both GL drivers.

display_rotate=1 does still work correctly with the legacy driver. However, I need to use either one of the GL drivers for rendering purposes.

With vc4-kms-v3d enabled, kernel and gui will just ignore display_rotate=1 and operate in regular, unrotated landscape mode.

With vc4-fkms-v3d enabled, kernel will boot correctly in portrait mode, but the gui then tries to render in landscape mode (like what blitzjay is describing above).

Please be so kind and fix the handling of display_rotate=1 in Buster.
Thanks.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 pm

What happens when you rotate it with the screen configuration utility?

timur-m

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:32 am

Thank you for your reply. I have no screen configuration utility on my system. Maybe because I upgraded in place, not fresh? I wish I knew the file name of this tool. Anyway, I searched for "screen configuration utility" and found this: https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... t/video.md

Towards the bottom it says clearly:
If using the VC4 FKMS V3D driver (this is the default on the Raspberry Pi 4), then 90 and 270 degree rotations are not supported. The Screen Configuration utility provides display rotations for this driver.
So in my /boot/config.txt I removed "display_rotate=1" and switched to vc4-kms-v3d. Then I added "@xrandr -o right" to my /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart. This appears to work fine now. Only disadvantage: the booting up process happens sideways. Hmm :-/

One remaining issue on Buster for me is this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... &p=1502792

timur-m

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:37 am

Found a serious issue with screen rotation on Buster:
For video playback, cvlc completely ignores the rotation set by xrandr.

A tall video on a tall screen is rendered sideways.

Code: Select all

-----------
|         |
|         |
|         |
|xxxxxxxxx|
|xxxxxxxxx|
|         |
|         |
|         |
-----------
What should be on top, is on the left. What should be the bottom, is on the right. 70% of screen blank.

Sort_of_Nacho

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:53 am

I ran into the same issues trying to use display_rotate in the config.txt

On my instance over in mainmenu->preferences->screen configuration I was able to set display rotation.

I found it via this page https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md

Return to “Troubleshooting”