nullNOVA

Raspberry Pi does not reboot with powered external HDD attached

Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I have recently set up a Plex Media Server on a new Raspberry Pi 4 (4 Gb).

This is powered using it's own official power supply, the Pi is connected via USB to a powered USB hub which has a 1TB WD MyPassport HDD attached.

Here is the Powered USB hub:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Here is the external HDD:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-WDBYNN0010B ... way&sr=8-3

The issue is, when I do a

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
of the Pi, the Pi does not reach the Debian Desktop.

If I unplug the HDD physically, it boots just fine and if I plug the HDD in after it's booted it runs perfectly well.

I don't think this is an issue with myfstab set up as the HDD mounts automatically and can be read from perfectly once connected, the Pi just doesn't reboot.

fstab:

proc            /proc           proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/mmcblk0p6  /boot           vfat    defaults          0       2
/dev/mmcblk0p7  /               ext4    defaults,noatime  0       1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that
UUID=FC86-0156 /mnt/RasplexHDD exfat defaults,auto,umask=000,users,rw,nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=30 0 0
I have tried unmounting the HDD before reboot but no luck.

sudo service plexmediaserver stop
lsof /mnt/RasplexHDD
sudo reboot

I have a feeling that the Pi is attempting to power the HDD when it boots, when the Pi reboots I only get a blank screen with a blinking cursor which also happens when powering the Pi with insufficient power. (Despite the Pi running from it's official power supply and the HDD being powered by a powered USB hub which is plugged into the mains)

Ideally, I would like it so when the Pi is being rebooted, the HDD spins down and only starts back up after the Pi has already booted from the SD card.

Please let me know if you need any more information than this.

Thanks for your help.

Additional info:

Just thought if there was a way to delay the USB from starting or delay the HDD being read until the Pi has fully booted that might work?

I tried rebooting the Rpi with the powered USB hub still attached but with the HDD detached completey and the Rpi booted fine, so I think the USB hub isn't causing any issues.

zproc

Re: Raspberry Pi does not reboot with powered external HDD attached

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:44 am

I really don't know,

but as i encountered really too many weird issues with new USB hubs over years (not rPi specific), i would test another USB Hub just in case...
But if you don't have any other one to test, i don't know.

Could it be the hub or power supply is faulty and doesn't deliver what the HDD needs, forcing the Pi to try to power the HDD, thus resulting in that similar "underpower" error?

Is testing the power delivered by the USB ports or its power supply something you could do?

(I have no idea like i said, but just in case...)

Andyroo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:06 am

Would be interested to see if the Pi will reboot if the +5V line is cut in the cable between the hub and Pi...

You could try the sync command and allow a few seconds before the reboot after the unmount.

You could also try nobootwait on the drive in fstab

You could try mounting the disk via systemd rather than fstab

There is this article on debugging systemd / fstab mounts https://copyninja.info/blog/systemd_aut ... entry.html that may help.

LTolledo

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:38 am

my suggestion is to try booting the RPi4B with the USB HDD attached directly to the USB3.0 port of RPi4B...

...so this means not using the powered USB3.0 hub (I have exactly the same one in my possession).

not tried USB3.0 hubs with my RPi3B and RPi3B+ units yet, as most of the HDDs/SSDs are plugged directly to the RPi's USB ports (well... via an interface/adapter cable or case/adapter)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

bacopuze

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:40 pm

i owned the same powered usb hub. i want to attach 2 hdds so i need this external powered usb hub. i tried this but without sucess:

http://www.folgerforum.com/t/quick-and- ... cable/2086

is there any workaround for this behavior without buying a new hub?

bacopuze

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:57 pm

i replaced the hub with this one and its working as expected :)

https://www.amazon.de/CSL-Verteiler-Ult ... 01K7RR3W8/

Return to “Troubleshooting”