srujanpanuganti

Problem connecting to WiFi network o Rpi 4.

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:44 pm

Got my new Rpi 4 yesterday. I'm trying to connect to a WiFi network. I followed the same steps which I followed to setup WiFi on Rpi3, which worked perfectly. When I'm doing the same on Rpi 4, random IP address (169.254.x.x) is being assigned. From what I found from previous issues, my interface is unable to reach the DHCP servers. Unable to resolve this issue even after editing my /etc/network/interfaces. need help!!

using iwconfig I could verify that my interface is correctly connecting my WiFi network.

pcmanbob

Re: Problem connecting to WiFi network o Rpi 4.

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:55 am

Hi.

You should not be editing /etc/network/interfaces so undo what ever editing you did.

then post the contents of your wpa_supplicant.conf file

it should look like this

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=GB

network={
	ssid="your ssid"
	psk="password"
}

I might also help if you told us which OS ( CLI/GUI ) you are using as I have assumed raspbian.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

srujanpanuganti

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm using headless Raspbian Buster. I did undo whatever I did in /etc/network/interfaces/

I am using university wifi. hence I included

network={
ssid="my_network_ssid"
key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
eap=PEAP
identity="unique_university_ID"
password="corresonding_password"
}

when I do iwconfig | grep wlan0 , i get
wlan0 IEEE 802.11 ESSID:"my_network_ssid"

I assume, the above result signifies that I am connected to the network

but however when i do sudo ifconfig, i get

inet 169.254.51.221 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 169.254.255.255

I assume the above result signifies that my interface is unable to find the DHCP servers and is connected to the link local address.

The above lines in wpa_supplicant.conf worked perfectly on my RPi 3 and displayed my IP address as 10.104.x.x instead of 169.254.x.x. I got no clue how to solve this issue.

pcmanbob

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 pm

As you are attempting to connect your pi to a university network I suggest you talk to the network administration team , as university's normally apply security protocols that might prevent an unknown device from connecting to the network.

As we have no idea how the university network is setup or administered we have no way of helping with the required setup / connection to the network.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:36 pm

If that's is all you included, then no wonder it failed. You need those first 3 line in the example posted (especially the correct country code).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

srujanpanuganti

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

HawaiianPi wrote: If that's is all you included, then no wonder it failed. You need those first 3 line in the example posted (especially the correct country code).

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
	ssid="my_network_ssid"
	key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
	eap=PEAP
	identity="unique_university_ID"
	password="corresponding_password"
}

I included as above. I mentioned this worked on Rpi 3.

srujanpanuganti

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:48 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:31 pm
As you are attempting to connect your pi to a university network I suggest you talk to the network administration team , as university's normally apply security protocols that might prevent an unknown device from connecting to the network.

As we have no idea how the university network is setup or administered we have no way of helping with the required setup / connection to the network.
Thanks for your quick response.

I will contact my network administrator about this. But then, I already have a Pi 3B+ connected to the same network. shouldn't It be possible in the same way on Pi 4B?

pcmanbob

Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

srujanpanuganti wrote:

I will contact my network administrator about this. But then, I already have a Pi 3B+ connected to the same network. shouldn't It be possible in the same way on Pi 4B?
Yes but was set up by you or by someone else and just passed to you ?

srujanpanuganti

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm
srujanpanuganti wrote:

Yes but was set up by you or by someone else and just passed to you ?

Yes. I have set it up by myself.

HawaiianPi

Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:00 pm

srujanpanuganti wrote:
Depends on how network security is configured at the university. If they are using any kind of filtering (such as MAC address filtering) then a new computer won't work without being added to the list.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

SinAcedia

Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:15 am

I'm having the same problem, never been able to connect with rpi4 built-in wifi, & and wifi dongles (even before I installed network-manager)

heard it is a bad ipv6 driver, try adding

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
add line below - save & exit
ipv6_disable=6

and this;

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/ipv6.conf
add line below - save & exit (just remove #)
alias ipv6 off

reboot ... hope this helps .... I'll give this a try once I a home and verify.

tried it, didn't work for me but I have network-manager installed ... tomorrow going to try popping in new copy of os, & unboxing another rpi4, if this doesn't work, returning the lot.

AnantaSrikar2001

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:27 pm

I have the exact same problem on My Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB variant, did you get any solution yet. I don't think it's an error with the ipv6 driver, rather something is preventing the raspi to communicate with the DHCP, thus failing to get a proper connection.

pcmanbob

Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:55 pm

AnantaSrikar2001 wrote:
I have the exact same problem on My Raspberry Pi 4, 4GB variant, did you get any solution yet. I don't think it's an error with the ipv6 driver, rather something is preventing the raspi to communicate with the DHCP, thus failing to get a proper connection.
If you are having trouble connecting to a university network go talk to the network administrator at the university,

if you are having problems connection to home broadband/router wifi then start a new thread explaining you problem and include a copy of your wpa_supplicant.conf file in your post

srujanpanuganti

Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:08 pm

AnantaSrikar2001 wrote:
Hi. I was unable to connect to my University WiFi. Also after few days, my University had also decommissioned the WiFi I used to connect previously. So I found a simple hack, where I connect my mobile to my University WiFi and share the network using WiFi hotspot from my mobile to the RPi4. Thankfully this worked. As my application doesn't need internet at later point of time, I didn't had to bother much on that issue.

You can also do one thing if possible, you can get a router and ask your University to recognize the router and connect your Pi to the router.

AnantaSrikar2001

Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:31 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:55 pm

If you are having trouble connecting to a university network go talk to the network administrator at the university,

if you are having problems connection to home broadband/router wifi then start a new thread explaining you problem and include a copy of your wpa_supplicant.conf file in your post
My friend's raspi 0 and 3 B connect without any issues. There must be some kind of solution to fix this, as the other raspberry Pi's (other than 4) are legit getting connected.
srujanpanuganti wrote:
Hi. I was unable to connect to my University WiFi. Also after few days, my University had also decommissioned the WiFi I used to connect previously. So I found a simple hack, where I connect my mobile to my University WiFi and share the network using WiFi hotspot from my mobile to the RPi4. Thankfully this worked. As my application doesn't need internet at later point of time, I didn't had to bother much on that issue.

You can also do one thing if possible, you can get a router and ask your University to recognize the router and connect your Pi to the router.
But still..... The wifi has to work. We can't just keep the hotspot on. That'll drain the heck out of a phone. Besides, I wouldn't carry my raspi around. Also, a router would be a little too much, considering the fact that one purchases a Pi provided it works as intended. Will need some help to look into this and fix it.

BeauSlim

Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:46 pm

There have been posts about the USB3 ports interfering with WiFi on the 2.4 GHz band. This is actually quite common (i.e. is not just a Pi4 issue). See https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/ ... paper.html

If you have a peripheral plugged into a USB3 port, try unplugging it.

You can try 5 GHz channels if available. Or use a usb extension cable and an external WiFi adapter.

AnantaSrikar2001

Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:02 am

BeauSlim wrote:
There have been posts about the USB3 ports interfering with WiFi on the 2.4 GHz band. This is actually quite common (i.e. is not just a Pi4 issue). See https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/ ... paper.html

You can try 5 GHz channels if available. Or use a usb extension cable and an external WiFi adapter.
I'm trying to set it up headlessly, so i use an Ethernet cable and connect my pi to laptop and then use raspberrypi.local to ssh or vnc. The wifi keeps trying to connect, fails, and finally assigns itself the ip address similar to eth0, ie, something in the order of 169.254.x.x, and shows that it's connected to the wifi, but it actually isn't. I also don't have anything connected to USB 3 shows as I'm trying to set it up headlessly.

pcmanbob

Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 am

The 169.254.x.x is just a default address the pi assigns to the network port/wifi if it can make a connection and get a proper address from the dhcp server on the network.

How are you trying to connect the wifi , from the desktop or via the command line ?

Do you have 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi , if both do they have the same SSID ?

srujanpanuganti

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:12 pm

BeauSlim wrote:

Nice point made. Thank you for the reference. But I doubt if that's really the issue. The weird part is that, I'm unable to connect to the university wifi directly from the Pi, but able to connect to the same Uni wifi using my mobile hotspot (I mean, my mobile is connected to my Uni WiFi and my Pi is connected to my mobile using WiFi hotspot). It's really weird

srujanpanuganti

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:21 pm

BeauSlim wrote:

I don't remember if I have nothing connected to USB3 while I was configuring the Pi. I might have probably connected my keyboard to the USB3, I'll try today again and see if the problem still exists.

AnantaSrikar2001

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 am

Just so that u guys know, my Pi connects to all other WiFis without any issue...... It's just the college wifi which it's finding difficulty to connect. As I mentioned earlier, other versions of Pi were able to connect without any problem. Just Pi 4 is having some issues.

AnantaSrikar2001

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:47 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:01 am
The 169.254.x.x is just a default address the pi assigns to the network port/wifi if it can make a connection and get a proper address from the dhcp server on the network.

How are you trying to connect the wifi , from the desktop or via the command line ?

Do you have 2.4GHz or 5GHz wifi , if both do they have the same SSID ?
I tried both, and failed. The WiFi is a 5GHz WiFi. It's able to connect to all types of wifi (2.4 and 5GHz). Just not able to connect to college's wifi. I'll add my wpa_supplicant.conf soon to just show that it legit has to work

pcmanbob

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 pm

AnantaSrikar2001 wrote:
I tried both, and failed. The WiFi is a 5GHz WiFi. It's able to connect to all types of wifi (2.4 and 5GHz). Just not able to connect to college's wifi. I'll add my wpa_supplicant.conf soon to just show that it legit has to work
As I said go talk to the network admin/help desk , most college networks will not let any device connect unless they have first be added to a permitted device list on the network, the other pi's might have already been added to the list when they were first connected to the network.

As you have already stated the pi4 can connect to other wifi successfully , then you know there is nothing wrong with the pi, so the restriction must be on the network.

AnantaSrikar2001

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:56 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 pm
AnantaSrikar2001 wrote:
As I said go talk to the network admin/help desk , most college networks will not let any device connect unless they have first be added to a permitted device list on the network, the other pi's might have already been added to the list when they were first connected to the network.

As you have already stated the pi4 can connect to other wifi successfully , then you know there is nothing wrong with the pi, so the restriction must be on the network.
Hmm yeah this might help..... I'll try doing this after the winter vacation 👍

Sanik

Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:43 pm

I had the same problem. I just changed "Country WiFi" settings (raspi-config - Localisation Options - Change WiFi Country) to GB and now both wifi range connect and working fine.

Return to “Troubleshooting”