pcmanbob

Re: Network fails after rebooting but fine after shutting down

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Another thought if you watch the LEDs on the LAN port on the pi what do they do during a reboot.

My pi4, with raspbian lite , upon reboot left LED flashes a couple of times then both LEDs go out, both coming back on a second later with the left LED flashing once the boot process gets further along.

have now rebooted my pi4 which also has a fixed IP on the pi 4 times in a row in less than 5 min no problem at all.

have you run any updates on the pi ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

thatchunkylad198966

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm

I had this problem with my Pi Zero W, shutting it down, starting it back up, wireless was fine. rebooting and it refused to connect.
I set my country and setup Wi-Fi with raspi-config, I noticed this was only happening with the 4.19 kernel, just before the Pi 4 got released, stretch was shipped with 4.14 but there was an update for the kernel to 4.19. so I decided to hold the kernel upgrade and guess what? it was fine and running without issues.

I'm not sure if this helps or not but....
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

epoch1970

Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Try "cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier"
Does it say 0 or 1?

0 means ethernet physically disconnected (abnormal.) In case you get carrier 0:
- Can you try with another cable, preferably "cat. 6" or better?
- If you have a spare switch could you temporarily put it between the Pi and the router? It could be interesting to see if the behaviour changes.
- Otherwise you could try adding "nolink" to dhcpcd.conf for eth0, that disables relying on link status for dhcpcd operation. Perhaps that would work as a temporary workaround.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

yanewby

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:38 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 pm
Another thought if you watch the LEDs on the LAN port on the pi what do they do during a reboot.

My pi4, with raspbian lite , upon reboot left LED flashes a couple of times then both LEDs go out, both coming back on a second later with the left LED flashing once the boot process gets further along.

have now rebooted my pi4 which also has a fixed IP on the pi 4 times in a row in less than 5 min no problem at all.

have you run any updates on the pi ?
When watching the LEDs on the LAN port the yellow one stays on more or less constantly - possibly a slight flickering. The green one flickers on and off for about 45-60s before they both stay on solidly.

I have tried connecting it to all 4 LAN ports on my router but each give the same result more or less.

Regarding updates, I have done both. The filename of Raspbian Buster Lite I have got is dated "2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-lite.zip" and I have tried using this without doing any updates to it and after doing updates. No joy with either.

yanewby

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:47 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm
Try "cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier"
Does it say 0 or 1?

0 means ethernet physically disconnected (abnormal.) In case you get carrier 0:
- Can you try with another cable, preferably "cat. 6" or better?
- If you have a spare switch could you temporarily put it between the Pi and the router? It could be interesting to see if the behaviour changes.
- Otherwise you could try adding "nolink" to dhcpcd.conf for eth0, that disables relying on link status for dhcpcd operation. Perhaps that would work as a temporary workaround.
cat /sys/class/net/eth0/carrier returns a result of 1 after I have rebooted and unplugged and re-plugged the network cable.

I have tried with 4 different cat5 cables of varying lengths, unfortunately I do not have any cat6 (or better).

I don't have another switch I can try unfortunately.

nolink in dhcpcd.conf had no effect either.

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Well on my pi4 they both go out for a second , you can clearly see it , both off then both back on.

will post a video if I can get my camera to work.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help

yanewby

Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:57 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 pm
Well on my pi4 they both go out for a second , you can clearly see it , both off then both back on.

will post a video if I can get my camera to work.
It is possible both of mine go out initially too, it is hard to tell when the reboot process restarts as it is headless. After I do sudo reboot, both lights do go out but then the yellow one comes back on at some point and stays on. The green one flashes on and off (not in a regular pattern) until eventually staying solid green.

yanewby

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I have been enabling and disabling settings in /etc/dhcpcd.conf to see if they make any difference and I have noticed that the first reboot after I make a change the Pi4 boots correctly. The next reboot (without changing anything in dhcpcd.conf) it fails.

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:27 pm

Ok not great quality as I as my video camera battery is flat so used stills camera in video mode , but at lease you can see what the LEDs do.

https://youtu.be/gdbf2nmNpQs

initial flashing of left LED is response to reboot command then LEDs go off and come back on as pi reboots and reconnects.

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:28 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:27 pm
Ok not great quality as I as my video camera battery is flat so used stills camera in video mode , but at lease you can see what the LEDs do.

https://youtu.be/gdbf2nmNpQs

initial flashing of left LED is response to reboot command then LEDs go off and come back on as pi reboots and reconnects.
Thank-you for posting this. My LED sequence does look similar except that it stops with both lights on solid. When I unplug/plug then the sequence continues much like yours.

I have exhausted everything I can think of to try resolve this. It is really frustrating. It may be something to do with the router setup as has been suggested but I have no idea what and the fact I have 15+ other devices on the same network none of which have any trouble getting IP addresses or having static ones set is puzzling.

Hopefully I will get a new Pi4 and the HDMI cable soon which may help in tracking this down.

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 am

thatchunkylad198966 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:21 pm
I had this problem with my Pi Zero W, shutting it down, starting it back up, wireless was fine. rebooting and it refused to connect.
I set my country and setup Wi-Fi with raspi-config, I noticed this was only happening with the 4.19 kernel, just before the Pi 4 got released, stretch was shipped with 4.14 but there was an update for the kernel to 4.19. so I decided to hold the kernel upgrade and guess what? it was fine and running without issues.

I'm not sure if this helps or not but....
Now you say this I think I have memories of trouble with my Raspberry Pi Zero (the first version without the wifi). That led me to bin that, I wish I had kept it now. My Pi3B+, Pi3 boot fine on the same network.

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:35 am

I have just tried commenting out the eth0 interface in dhcpcd.conf and just leaving the wifi section active in the hope that eth0 will be correctly set by my router.

I can then ssh in to the wifi IP address. This is what the relevant section of /var/log/syslog | grep eth0 looks like:

Code: Select all

Jul 10 11:27:08 mypiname dhcpcd[473]: eth0: removing interface
Jul 10 11:27:14 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: waiting for carrier
Jul 10 11:27:15 mypiname kernel: [    8.631638] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Down
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: carrier acquired
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname kernel: [   12.791831] bcmgenet fd580000.genet eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: IAID 32:03:a7:d4
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: adding address fe80::da9e:5bb4:e713:6b56
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: soliciting an IPv6 router
Jul 10 11:27:20 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: rebinding lease of 192.168.0.10
Jul 10 11:27:25 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: probing for an IPv4LL address
Jul 10 11:27:25 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: DHCP lease expired
Jul 10 11:27:25 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: soliciting a DHCP lease
Jul 10 11:27:29 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: using IPv4LL address 169.254.213.210
Jul 10 11:27:29 mypiname avahi-daemon[431]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 169.254.213.210.
Jul 10 11:27:29 mypiname avahi-daemon[431]: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Jul 10 11:27:29 mypiname dhcpcd[466]: eth0: adding route to 169.254.0.0/16
Jul 10 11:27:29 mypiname avahi-daemon[431]: Registering new address record for 169.254.213.210 on eth0.IPv4.
It seems to be registering an IPv4LL address. I do not know what this is or why it is doing this. Any ideas?

I can then ssh in to the IPv4LL address.

epoch1970

Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am

Very interesting.
This means link detection and ethernet configuration auto-negociation work between the router and the Pi.
Hardware is 100%. Forget anything (I wrote) related to cable type, carrier status etc.

Something is rotten in the realm of DHCP. The server is unhappy and fails/refuses to send an IP.
IPv4ll (169.254.x.x) is the "link-local" IP address used to support zeroconf and make "ping raspberrypi.local" work from most modern machines. The process of address acquisition is mostly local, no server involved. The ipv4ll daemon checks the address it picked at random is not already in use in the network (using arp). IPv4ll fully works, apparently.

To me this clearly indicates the issue is with DHCP purely. Either in the client config or the server config.

I think I read you have many other devices working fine w/ that router.
Any of these devices having more than one interface connected at the same time?
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:54 am
I think I read you have many other devices working fine w/ that router.
Any of these devices having more than one interface connected at the same time?
Thank-you for the information which was helpful and easy to understand; I'm also trying to find out about this more as this is the first time I have come across this.

You are correct, I have many other devices working fine off the same router. Sometimes I have my laptop connected to wifi and wired at the same time without any issues (both get assigned the expected IP address). Mostly my devices connect using either a wired or wifi connection rather than both.

I don't know if this helps but I have just reset dhcpcd.conf to the default file (with no static IP addresses defined). eth0 still does not get assigned correctly (gets IPv4LL) but wlan0 does get the expected static IP address from the router.

epoch1970

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am

Mhh.
I am at a loss here, I don't run Buster at all.
I can propose a dirty workaround, perhaps it might work.
- Boot with wifi as primary interface,
- Open an ssh connection to the wifi IP address (not the link-local address, that one is on eth0 and it will go away next), then type:
- "sudo ip link set eth0 down" (not sure if the sudo is required, sorry)
- "sudo ip link set eth0 up"
- "sudo ip address show eth0" (or old style "sudo ifconfig eth0")
If all goes well, on eth0 you would have a LAN IP address and the autoipv4ll address should be gone. (If it stays, it is no problem)

If that works, you could add before the last line of /etc/rc.local the following:

(sleep 15; ip link set eth0 down;  sleep 1; ip link set eth0 up)&
Not really a fix I would be proud of, but in the storm...

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:53 am

epoch1970 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:44 am
Mhh.
I am at a loss here, I don't run Buster at all.
I can propose a dirty workaround, perhaps it might work.
- Boot with wifi as primary interface,
- Open an ssh connection to the wifi IP address (not the link-local address, that one is on eth0 and it will go away next), then type:
- "sudo ip link set eth0 down" (not sure if the sudo is required, sorry)
- "sudo ip link set eth0 up"
- "sudo ip address show eth0" (or old style "sudo ifconfig eth0")
If all goes well, on eth0 you would have a LAN IP address and the autoipv4ll address should be gone. (If it stays, it is no problem)

If that works, you could add before the last line of /etc/rc.local the following:

(sleep 15; ip link set eth0 down;  sleep 1; ip link set eth0 up)&
Not really a fix I would be proud of, but in the storm...
Thank-you for the suggestion, I've just tried it (sudo was needed!). Unfortunately after eth0 up the same IPv4LL address gets assigned again:

2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether dc:a6:32:03:a7:d4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 169.254.213.210/16 brd 169.254.255.255 scope global noprefixroute eth0
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
I had thought about doing something similar in rc.local but I wasn't sure of the correct commands. I wanted to disable the dhcpcd.conf stuff completely and manually set up the network in there. After thinking about this strategy I wasn't sure what would happen if a connection was lost so I didn't take it any further.

epoch1970

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Ok...
If you "cat -v /etc/dhcpcd.conf" do you see any funny characters that should not be there?
Can you confirm /etc/network/interfaces is in stock configuration and by and large empty?
What if you remove the static assignments to eth0 in dhcpcd.conf, only leaving "metric xxx"?
What if you move the static IP address from .10 to a much bigger number you're sure you've never used anytime, anywhere, like .155 ?

(BTW, congratulations to RPT on the new OUI 'dc:a6:32' ...)

pcmanbob

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

For reference /etc/network/interfaces contains only this on buster.

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:08 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm
For reference /etc/network/interfaces contains only this on buster.

This is my /etc/network/interfaces:

This is my current /etc/dhcpcd.conf:

# A sample configuration for dhcpcd.
# See dhcpcd.conf(5) for details.

# Allow users of this group to interact with dhcpcd via the control socket.
#controlgroup wheel

# Inform the DHCP server of our hostname for DDNS.
hostname

# Use the hardware address of the interface for the Client ID.
clientid
# or
# Use the same DUID + IAID as set in DHCPv6 for DHCPv4 ClientID as per RFC4361.
# Some non-RFC compliant DHCP servers do not reply with this set.
# In this case, comment out duid and enable clientid above.
#duid

# Persist interface configuration when dhcpcd exits.
persistent

# Rapid commit support.
# Safe to enable by default because it requires the equivalent option set
# on the server to actually work.
option rapid_commit

# A list of options to request from the DHCP server.
option domain_name_servers, domain_name, domain_search, host_name
option classless_static_routes

# Respect the network MTU. This is applied to DHCP routes.
#option interface_mtu

# Most distributions have NTP support.
option ntp_servers

# A ServerID is required by RFC2131.
require dhcp_server_identifier

# Generate SLAAC address using the Hardware Address of the interface
#slaac hwaddr
# OR generate Stable Private IPv6 Addresses based from the DUID
slaac private

# Example static IP configuration:
#interface eth0
#static ip_address=192.168.0.10/24
#static ip6_address=fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::ff/64
#static routers=192.168.0.1
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1 8.8.8.8 fd51:42f8:caae:d92e::1

# It is possible to fall back to a static IP if DHCP fails:
# define static profile
#profile static_eth0
#static ip_address=192.168.1.23/24
#static routers=192.168.1.1
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.1.1

# fallback to static profile on eth0
#interface eth0
#fallback static_eth0

# ip address for eth0 will be assigned by the router, make eth0
# lower priority than wlan0
#interface eth0
#metric 200
#static ip_address=192.168.0.155/16
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1

# ip address for wlan0 will be assigned by the router, make wlan0
# higher priority than eth0
#interface wlan0
#metric 300
#static ip_address=192.168.0.156/16
#static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1
It currently responds with an IPv4LL for eth0 and a static IP address from my router (192.168.0.156).

I have tried leaving just the eth0 metric 200 in the dhcpcd.conf file but no success (hangs as usual and gives IPv4LL).

I don't see any unusual characters in the dhcpcd.conf file.

I tried lots of different 192.168.0.x values with little success. Sometimes, maybe 1 in 10 times it works. Usually after I have just edited dhcpcd.conf, I even went as far as putting a random env variable into dhcpcd.conf every reboot to see if that worked (it didn't).

You noticed I didn't mask my real dc:a6:32 last time... I figured I couldn't be bothered any more as I am likely just to bin this Pi soon as I cannot get it to work.

pcmanbob

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Do you have a relative or friend that would allow you to connect your pi to their network and try testing it then ?

epoch1970

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 pm

My gut feeling is also that the Pi is ok but I wouldn't be surprised if Buster was a bit busted ATM.
Testing on another network is a good idea I think.

I looked around and failed to find a reasonable "alternative OS" (if possible non-systemd based) running on Pi4 for you to test with. Manjaro seems to have something, but it is a bit early. piCore won't be here for what looks like weeks, I'd say. Maybe Sakaki (on this forum) has something different enough from Raspbian to be worth a try.

I could suggest to try and get rid of dhcpcd with a "denyinterfaces" directive and fall-back to the good old, static, /etc/network/interface configuration to see if that works better. But I don't have a single Pi with Raspbian on it, and no Pi4. So I wouldn't be along for the ride.

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm
Do you have a relative or friend that would allow you to connect your pi to their network and try testing it then ?
Sadly not. I am Billy No Mates.

yanewby

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Thank-you everyone for your help in trying to resolve this but I think I have to admit defeat here and toss the Pi 4 in the bin. I've already wasted 2 weeks trying to set it up, it was just to replace a 3B+ so I will just persevere with that instead.

thatchunkylad198966

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm

yanewby wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:59 pm
Thank-you everyone for your help in trying to resolve this but I think I have to admit defeat here and toss the Pi 4 in the bin. I've already wasted 2 weeks trying to set it up, it was just to replace a 3B+ so I will just persevere with that instead.
Dude, send it back to whoever you purchased it from and then try; don't put it in the bin!
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

ncguk

Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm having a similar problem here. I have a Samsung Evo 32GB microSD card with Buster on it (with a static eth0 IP address set outside of the DHCP range in /etc/network/interfaces) that has been working just fine at boot and between reboots on a Pi 4 2GB model. I've just taken the card, put it into a previously unbooted Pi 4 4GB model, and I cannot ssh into it. I can successfully ping the 4GB Pi, I can see that port 22 on the 4GB Pi is open, the right-hand light on the Pi 4GB ethernet port is solid orange and the left hand light blinks green at approximately 2 second intervals, occasionally blinking twice quickly. When attempting to ssh into the 4GB Pi from my Mac, no timeout or network error message is returned - the Mac's ssh just perpetually attempts to connect. If I unplug and re-plug the ethernet cable I can then ssh into the 4GB Pi until next reboot.

I'm hoping this isn't a duff Pi 4, but a software problem instead.

Huh. I had unbound running on the 2GB Pi and thus on the 4GB Pi. I uninstalled it, rebooted the 4GB Pi and could ssh into it immediately on reboot. I don't imagine this is the same as the OP's issue.
Last edited by ncguk on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Troubleshooting”