techmagic42

wpa_gui -signal 15 received issue with 10-28 wheezy WHY

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 am

Guys this is killing me.

So i have the Edimax , as well as the Asus USB-N10 (both work "out of the box")
on the latest Wheezy 10-28
Logitech K260 wireless mouse keyboard combo (have also switched out to some generic wired HP combo that never seems to have an issue)
HDMI out
1A micro adapter for power

And for some reason that is totally escaping me, i STILL cannot get wifi up and running.

yes i know this is supposed to work through the wpa_gui but i am not getting anything useful from here, and all posts with wifi issues are at least 2 months out of date, so if ya'll can help me at least understand what is going on that would be great.

when i load the wpa_gui i get adapter wlan0, and a list of nearby networks (i am in an apt that has shared wifi, so i cannot control my distance from the router sadly.)
it attmepts to connect to any network i send it to, and have tried WPA, WEP, etc. right now it is a wpa2-psk and i get a status of "Scanning....4 Way Handshake...Scanning...Associating...etc it reconizes the ssid, and clains to sit out a bssid, but jumps between these settings too fast to do anything with.

it just runs this loop until i attempt to force it to a different network (im running a 2009mbp with SL, and EVENTUALLY the point of my project is to connect the pi to the ad-hoc network i can create with OSX), wpa_gui gives me a last message of -signal 15 received, could not get status from wpa_supplicant. at this point, the network field goes blank, the dongle stops flashing, and i have to restart to get any life outta it.

i ve followed all of the tutorials i ve seen on how to set this up, but i ll lay down the info that i have.

/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf exists, seems to be running, and recognizes the given networks in the area, and the psk applied to each (for the ad-hoc, i ve left it open)
i noticed that the default header for this file seems to reference a file DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev....which apparently doesnt exist in /var/run/
anyone got any light to shed on that? im new to pi and linux but im a quick learner if someone can point me the right way.

/etc/network/interfaces has been changed to

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface etho inet dhcp
auto w lan
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

with the asus adapter in i have tried modprobe r8712u with no distinguishable results.

im all out of ideas guys. i am currently using a model 1 board that was ordered in july, and i read on another post that someone resolved an issue with the edimax by soldering a 10k ohm resistor to the usb module....which i would like to avoid if possible.

if anyone has any suggestions, or can walk me through what is going on (or supposed to be going on) please lemme know.
i have limited access to a wired connection (as they do not have them in this building) but i can get to one if absolutely needed.

i recently wrote a paper explaining the power of this community for the raspberry pi, full of intuitive and helpful people. dont fail me now when i need you most!

Robert

techmagic42

Re: wpa_gui -signal 15 received issue with 10-28 wheezy WHY

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 pm

in looking around the web, i also came across the ifup wlan0 command, which displays :
ifup: interface wlan0 already configured

when i run iwconfig i get wlan0 listed, with an essid of the network, an address for the AP, bit rate of 150, link quality of 96/100, signal level 64/100, noise level 0/100.

so it seems that the module is loaded, and the hardware works....now any thoughts on why the device wont stabilize on the network?

highjumppi

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:42 am

I just had the same problem. I am using the Edimax dongle, and my keyboard and mouse are plugged in to an unpowered hub. When I checked the network key, there were way too many asterisks. My keyboard is misbehaving strangely, possibly due to the hub. I powered the Pi down and then once up, I quickly changed the password. It is now working!

piuser100

Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:14 pm

what did you change the password of because i have the edimax dongle and a wireless keyboard and mouse combo and this happens to me too

teafryme

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:35 am

Having the same problem here. It seems I can connect to a network but it will not provide me an IP address. I've tried connecting to both a closed network and an open one. Sometimes I get the status of "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant" and "signal 15 received" but sometimes it says it is connected to the AP but no IP.

I'm tired, been fiddling with this for hours but thought I'd post a holler. Will write a more detailed post tomorrow.

Thanks for the solid forums.

EDIT: I don't know what I did but it's working now. It may have been a USB power issue...

fleetfoot

Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:54 am

I just read these posts - it is now about a year and a half after they were written. It's weird, but I'm having the exact same issues these people were having then, and I have the R-Pi B+ board which was just recently released.
I have a Ralink wireless network plug that came with the Canakit I bought and I cannot connect MOST of the time. Just to make things interesting and maddening too, it does connect once in a while for no apparent reason. It does usually get pretty warm . Could that be the cause of the failure? Who knows? It looks as though this has been a serious problem for a long time and there is no solution in sight. It's just a bad hardware combination or design I guess.

->fleetfoot :cry:

TheExoduss

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:54 pm

@Fleetfoot - Did you ever find a solution? I have the same kit you have, I bought the Canakit, overall, it is an amazing kit for the price, but this wifi thing is frustrating.

When I first booted, I could connect to my wireless just fine... And rebooted multiple times with no change in network status... All was well... My issue arose when I finished configuring the connection, and wanted to switch to an internal only wireless network. When I clicked disconnect, poof, signal 15.... no status from wpa_supplicant...

So I reboot, load it back up, and it shows the network I attempted to disconnect from before. Already connected, I removed it from the Manage Networks List. Proceeded to scan, and select the network I want to join, type in the passcode, click add, and get a popup box that says, it cannot activate the network in the supplicants list.

So now I reboot again and this time it doesn't detect the adapter, couldn't get supplicant list.
Reboot, same thing...

This time I halted.. Powered back up, and it was connected to the first network, so I selected Disable for that network under Manage networks, then scan, double clicked the one I wanted to connect to, typed passcode, and it connected just fine..

Hopefully something here will help.

fleetfoot

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:02 am

Hello @Exoduss,

No. I have no joy with trying to wifi connect. It defies reason that it connects maybe once out of 10 tries. During the times it cannot, it usually shows as being present and connected, but it's not and nothing's going to make it connect. Too frustrating for me to deal with, I just put it aside and am rapidly loosing interest in RasPi.

athlonshi

Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:13 am

I had the same problem initially. After trying many ways, I typed in
sudo ifup wlan0
to check the exact wifi status. Then wifi is working now. No idea why this helps.

Also, I added
wireless-power off
to /etc/network/interfaces to disable wifi card shut itself down

karmena

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:58 am

I had the same problem, with the loop and never managing to connect. What solved the problem for me was changing the encryption type to TKIP instead of the default CCMP it had assigned.

i hope this helps.
Carmen

karmena

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:00 am

also, thanks athlonshi. your comment helped me out.

Kerrbeross

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi everybody,
I just had the same problem and managed to solve it by deleting every network={...} entry in the /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf file and then just reconfiguring it. Maybe this is helpful for anybody encountering the same problem!
regards
K.

Return to “Troubleshooting”