Hemin

I think my pi 4 is dead

Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:18 pm

Hello,

My raspberry is not booting anymore. It remains with a red and green leds fixed, with all connected and disconnected, trying with many SD cards with raspian. The same SD is booting on the raspberry 3b+.

At the beginning boots without any problem on raspbian, but sometimes it "locks" with a both leds fixed. Formating the SD resolve the problem.

The last time, I left the raspberry powered on with the raspian image, and when coming back the raspberry was locked again, but this time without booting any more.

I have the oficial charger, raspberry have heatsinks installed, and never pass the 65ºC.

Is my pi dead?

pcmanbob

Re: I think my pi 4 is dead

Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 am

Hi.

It certainly sounds like you might have a dead pi, if you power the pi with nothing connected and no SD card installed does the green LED blink 4 times repeatedly.

Have you connected any thing to the gpio pins ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

lowflyer

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:10 pm

I think mine is the same! My first dead pi. :(

Official charger. It was working ok at first. Then I tried it with a USB3 hdd. It didn't boot. Now even with absolutely nothing connected and no SDcard, both the red and green leds remain on all the time. I think the green led isn't quite as bright as the red.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

pcmanbob

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:49 pm

There is one last thing you can try and that is to reflash the SPI EEPROM.

Go to the downloads page https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/

And read the section Recovery.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

lowflyer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:05 am

Hi @pcmanbob

Thanks for your quick response. I have just completed the Recovery instructions in that link and unfortunately it didn't help - the green led stays on all the time.

Maybe I need to try thepihut.com where I bought it?

RGJ-PI
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am

Hi lowflyer. Yes please return your Pi 4 to PiHut who will provide a replacement unit and will return the Pi to us for evaluation.

Hemin. How are the heatsinks fitted to the Pi? Did yo use any heatsink compound or just thermal tape? Which supplier did you purchase it from please so I can arrange a replacement?

lowflyer

Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 am

Hi Richard,

Many thanks! I have just got an RMA number, so it should be on it's way back to you soon. Maybe the spin-up current for the USB3 hdd was too high? Next time I had better try with a powered hub.

mallyd81

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:13 am

I hope its ok to comment in here, but I'm having terrible trouble with my Pi4 and I'm not sure what to try next.

I bought Pi4 and preloaded card, when I set it up I got 4 flashing green lights, so thought the memory card might need formatting. I did so and loaded Noobs, but got 4 flashing green lights. Tested the card on my Pi2 and Pi3 and it worked fine.

I did noticed the EEPROM article on the downloads page, so I extracted the files to a flattened card and loaded the Pi, got the rapid green flashes, but nothing I try now will work. I kept the EEPROM files on the card and added Noobs, but still got rapid flashes. If I remove the EEPROM files and add Noobs I get 4 flashes. I've also tried writing a Librec image to the card, but still get 4 flashes.

The article seems to stop at rapid green flashes, what should the next steps be?

Many thanks

jdb

Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 am

mallyd81 wrote: I hope its ok to comment in here, but I'm having terrible trouble with my Pi4 and I'm not sure what to try next.

I bought Pi4 and preloaded card, when I set it up I got 4 flashing green lights, so thought the memory card might need formatting. I did so and loaded Noobs, but got 4 flashing green lights. Tested the card on my Pi2 and Pi3 and it worked fine.

I did noticed the EEPROM article on the downloads page, so I extracted the files to a flattened card and loaded the Pi, got the rapid green flashes, but nothing I try now will work. I kept the EEPROM files on the card and added Noobs, but still got rapid flashes. If I remove the EEPROM files and add Noobs I get 4 flashes. I've also tried writing a Librec image to the card, but still get 4 flashes.

The article seems to stop at rapid green flashes, what should the next steps be?

Many thanks
Have you tried swapping the SD card for a different make/model?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

mallyd81

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:20 am

Yeah, I've flattened and tried 3 other memory cards that were being used in other Pi.

So 4 in total. It's driving me nuts. None of the cards will do anything in the Pi4, but if I move them from the 4 to a Pi3, boots up first time

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am

Have you used the latest Raspbian Buster image written with Etcher?

older OS might not work.

for boot problems read the boot problem sticky in trouble shooting.

Jonovich

Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:40 pm

lowflyer wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:07 am
Many thanks! I have just got an RMA number, so it should be on it's way back to you soon. Maybe the spin-up current for the USB3 hdd was too high? Next time I had better try with a powered hub.
Don’t hold your breath for a speedy turnaround... couriered mine back with confirmed delivery to them on Monday 1st, still waiting to get the replacement :cry: :cry: :cry:

Hemin

Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:52 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:57 am
Hi.

It certainly sounds like you might have a dead pi, if you power the pi with nothing connected and no SD card installed does the green LED blink 4 times repeatedly.

Have you connected any thing to the gpio pins ?
Nothing connected on GPIO... green led is always fixed tried everything
RichardJones wrote: Hemin. How are the heatsinks fitted to the Pi? Did yo use any heatsink compound or just thermal tape? Which supplier did you purchase it from please so I can arrange a replacement?
Hi @RichardJones

Heatsinks are a kit from Amazon aluminium plus the "glue" that comes incorporated. Temp is always below 70C
The supplier is tiendatec.es I send them and email asking for the warranty and they says that warranty is managed directly by the manufacturer

mallyd81

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:20 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:27 am
Have you used the latest Raspbian Buster image written with Etcher?

older OS might not work.

for boot problems read the boot problem sticky in trouble shooting.
Hey yeah tried from the downloads page and a copy from GitHub. Successful image both times, but still just get the four flashing lights. I think its trying to read the memory cards, so i dont think the board is broken. I put a completely blank card in and only the red light shows. As soon as I load a card with any files on, I get the four lights.

Just purchased another brand new SD card to give it a go on there. Hopefully its just a conflict of SD card types

Return to “Troubleshooting”