Kostis

Pi 4B/4GB shows only red light. No booting and no green led activity

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:58 pm

Well, we 're not off to a good start.

The sticky on Pi 4B says
If the green LED blinks with a repeating four blink pattern then the bootloader is running correctly, and indicating that start.elf has not been found.

Any other action implies that the bootloader is not working correctly and should be reinstalled using recovery.bin. see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
I only have red light. No 4 flashes. I remember having the 4 flashes when my Pi arrived 2 days ago, then I tried an older (non Buster) image on it and, who knows, maybe that somehow corrupted the bootloader?
I tried the instructions on the documentation page (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md) but no luck. I insert the recovery sd card, leave it on for any number of seconds, but no luck, I don't get the green led to flash, rapidly or otherwise. Also, no "error pattern", as in the revovery zip README file, wherever that pattern may appear (I have tried receovery with and without hdmi cable attached. No difference.)

The power adapter is the official one, 5.1V, 3A, so that's not it (though I tried with another since facing the problem, to no avail). I have tried booting with both Buster full and Buster lite, SD cards that booted just fine on a Pi 2B. Nothing. I connect LAN cable and no ethernet port lights ever light up.

My Pi 4B seems dead in the water. Should I just return it?
This is my Raspberry Pi. There are many like it but this one is mine.

hosereh

Re: Pi 4B/4GB shows only red light. No booting and no green led activity

Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:17 am

I have the exact same issue with the same version. As soon as I plug in the power the red led comes on solid. I tried to reflash the eeprom and it didn't even try to update it. I had to order it from the UK to the US so returning it should be fun.

Kostis

Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:17 am

Ok, after posting last night I left it plugged in all night with the recovery card inserted (couldn't bother any more I guess). I woke up to find the green light constantly on as well as the red, which I guess is an improvement but still not the documented -and expected- behavior of a successful reflash. No matter, I thought, unplugged it, inserted Buster full card, plugged in and got the same behavior as before. The red AND the green led are now constantly on, with nothing else going on. No HDMI signal, no ethernet lights, no booting. Time to contact my supplier, I think. Damn! I liked getting my new toy, but it looks broken.

By the way, the same (both lights on) now happens when I plug it in with no cards at all. At least there's consistency.

By the way, I don't have many of the things, but I do have one of the first batch (the 10000 256MB ones) that still works 24/7. And I can read documentation!! So I gather, I did all I could from my end. Pfff...
This is my Raspberry Pi. There are many like it but this one is mine.

BabarBaig

Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 pm

In my case, I'd attached the fan to posts 1 and 4 instead of 1 and 6. When corrected, the RPi4 booted-up immediately.

jarinalepetiot

Wed May 27, 2020 2:16 pm

BabarBaig wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 pm
In my case, I'd attached the fan to posts 1 and 4 instead of 1 and 6. When corrected, the RPi4 booted-up immediately.
:D lucky don't burn you're motherboard

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 am

Don't connect anything between the 3V3(pin1) and the 5V supply (pin 6), you are *very* lucky if you don't blow up anything that way! If the 3V3 regulator isn't able to drain the current you push into its output away, the 3V3 voltage will raise uncontrollable, and either the RPI SoC will blow up or the 3V3 regulator.

also don't power a fan from the 3V3 supply, that can also damage the PI (blow up the 3V3 regulator)

if you want to run the fan at a lower voltage then draw the needed current for the fan from the 5V supply, and use some 1N400x diodes to lower the voltage to the fan, each 1N4001 diode will drop 0.7V to the fan, two in series will drop 1.4V etc.

rpdom

Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 am

mahjongg wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:17 am
Don't connect anything between the 3V3(pin1) and the 5V supply (pin 6)
Pin 6 is a 0V/GND. The 5V supply is pins 2 and 4.
Unreadable squiggle

Return to “Troubleshooting”