phil995511

Problem with two ssd connected on the two USB 3 ports of RPi 4

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Hello

I encounter read/write errors when I connect 2 ssd or a ssd and a USB key on each of the 2 USB 3 ports of the RPi 4, as is the case on external HUBs not being able to support several devices.

My frimware is updated to version 000137a8.

Best regards.

k-pi

Re: Problem with two ssd connected on the two USB 3 ports of RPi 4

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:25 pm

The USB ports still only supply the same power as the RPi3Bs, so you'll need an external power supply for them, if I understand your question right.

b3lt3r

Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:58 pm

I could have sworn I saw a comment in the original release materials that one of the benefits of upgrading the power supply to USB-C/3a from micro/2.5 was that USB devices *may* not require external power.

Personally, I would not trust disks without the best power supply possible having just been through a nightmare recovery following a recent power outage but YMMV (and it wouldn't have been a nightmare with proper backups so two lessons learnt!)

Point is - I don't think it's correct to say the power supplied is the same as Pi3 but I am not an expert.

** Edit ** tracked back and suspect both points are kind of correct. USB may deliver the same max output as a standard but the intent was that there would be enough grunt in the supply to not be constrained when CPU load was high...... Either way, my point stands - I would always put disks on a hub

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Firmware 137a8 is causing issues with many USB3.0 devices - please revert to 13701.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

phil995511

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:14 pm

jdb wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:10 pm
Firmware 137a8 is causing issues with many USB3.0 devices - please revert to 13701.
Tank you JDB for your feedback I'll do the necessary tomorrow.

Is there a directory of your website where we can find the future frimwares be it Beta, RC or stable ??

Best regards.

Philippe

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 pm

b3lt3r wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:58 pm
... Either way, my point stands - I would always put disks on a hub
The Pi's 1.2A should be sufficient any portable drive, but that's assuming you have no other power hungry accessories, and of course, you have a proper 3A power supply (due to the higher power requirements of the SoC).

If you have multiple portable drives, or other power hungry accessories then you may find a hub is needed, but it's certainly not necessary, or even needed by many users. I've been using portable drives on my 3B and 3B+ computers for years without a hub.

The most important thing is to have a stable power supply. Many phone chargers have poor voltage regulation and will not maintain a stable 5V under load, and some cheap USB-C "charging" cables are only rate for 2.4A (or less). Long cables as well as extra connections or adapters can also contribute to voltage loss and low power troubles.

Note that a laptop drive in an enclosure is technically not a portable drive. Some laptop drives are shockingly power hungry, and putting one in an enclosure does not magically fix that. If you take a drive rated for 1A or more current and put it in an enclosure, don't be surprised when it doesn't work on a Raspberry Pi computer.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”