collinsl

Pi4/Raspbian overscan issues

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:54 am

I've just received a Pi 4 as a first Pi device, and I'm having issues with overscan.

The edges of the screen aren't visible, changing overscan values in /boot/config.txt has no effect, and after looking at the HDMI sticky the EDID values for my TV appear to be correct (it's a 1080p tv which is reporting as 1920x1080 @ 60Hz as it should be)

When trying to use raspi-config from the cli, I get the error "Overscan cannot be set with the GL driver".

I'm experienced with RedHat-family linux, but have almost no exposure to Debian so am a little lost as to what else I can try to fix this, or is it a "wait for updated drivers" situation?

Any help would be appreciated

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi4/Raspbian overscan issues

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:29 am

This is actually an issue with the upstream DRM code that we use. They have not yet implemented overscan (and the proposed implementation is...odd). It will get done, and is being looked at now (ish).
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

HawaiianPi

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 am

Check you TV settings for a way to disable overscan. Most 1080p televisions can do it, but each manufacturer seems to have their own name for it (it would be too easy if they all just called it overscan).

On some sets there is an HDMI port marked for PC use (usually accompanied by a nearby audio input). Those ports may have overscan disabled by default.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

collinsl

Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks HawaiianPi, turns out if I plug the Pi into HDMI port 1 on my TV ("Helpfully" marked AVC) the overscan issues vanish

For anyone else looking in on this later on - turns out the model of TV I have directs all remote buttons down the HDMI cable (bar the source input and power buttons) to the Pi, so I couldn't adjust the picture settings with the Pi powered on. It also allowed the Pi to set it's own picture settings without any reference to settings I set on other HDMI sources (which didn't seem to translate anyway) and also with the Pi powered off.

In short, it appears the Pi overrode the TV settings on HDMI2 but not HDMI1.

nigelvh

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:16 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:29 am
This is actually an issue with the upstream DRM code that we use. They have not yet implemented overscan (and the proposed implementation is...odd). It will get done, and is being looked at now (ish).
Awe sucks. I don't have any options on my monitor to fix this so I guess the Pi4 goes back in the box as the raspberry icon at the top right is off screen which makes things a bit silly. I know I could fight round it but I only bought the 4 to see what it was like so I guess I have to wait to give it a fair try.
Any idea when this might get to the top of the 'fix me' queue? Roughly?

<edit> I found a monitor that works so I'm good. </edit>

Andybp

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:36 pm

Any update on this James.

jamesh

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:49 pm

I think progress has been made , you can try rpi-update to get the latest firmware. BUT...you need kernel support, which can be found here

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/3103

So you will need to change the kernel command line to set the correct margins - currently this does not support the numbers from config.txt. We are looking in to that.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ichibrosan

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:35 am

I use a Samsung monitor with my Raspberry Pi 4 and I had overscan issues. I tried editing /boot/config.txt to no avail, but simply plugging the HDMI feed from the Pi into the alternate HDMI port on the monitor did the trick, like magic. :-)
---
Douglas Goodall
Software Engineer

ihor.dotsenko

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:12 am

I had the same issue yesterday with LG 43" SmartTV (43UK6300PLB) with 3 x HDMI ports. All of them are equal (I mean that there is no special HDMI port for PC with disabled overscan) and it's possible to enable / disable overscan feature in TV settings for each of these HDMI ports independently.

Yorer

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm

LG tv webos overscan setting (aspect ratio in settings: set from auto to ON) resolved the issue. Tv is LG C8 65"

lraisbeck

Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 am

Finally received the Pi4B - Fitted in Pibow case with fan shim - (set to auto blow at 65 degs) - Hardware all working brilliantly :D :D

Bought to upgrade Pi3B on a 43 inch TV to 4k - which it does ... BUT the TV has no overscan override. :| :|
Using keyboard shortcuts to get around missing menu bars isn't pleasant. :( :(

So close...

Please, please get the overscan patch out soon - It is restricting my world domination plans :roll: :roll:
Fingers in many pi's

Atari2020

Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:05 pm

I just got a Pi 4 and I have the overscan issue, but at random times the Pi 4 boots into 1042x768 mode, which at least lets me see the icons. I have a Pi 3 connected to the same TV and it works fine in both hdmi ports, with or without the Pi 4. I have not been able to determine why the Pi 4 boots to 1080 at times and sometimes to 768 or if there is any pattern, hot, cold, pi 3 on or off, port used. And the KB dongle and Wifi dongle may be factors as well.
With wifi, TP Link 722n, my Logitech usb wireless dongle drops out in a few seconds to minuites. The dongle for my Canakit oval micro KB w pad is more reliable, but drops out now and then. At times the Canakit kb is VERY flaky, dropping or repeating letters, fully charged right next to the Pi.

I am not sure if the display problems are related to the USB problems, but I do not know what the problem is with the display in different modes.

Atari2020

Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:27 pm

An update on my overscan problem.

In config.txt, commenting out dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d and uncommenting the settings to force mode and changing to 1 and 16 for 1080 worked on my older TV that supports CEA and DMT modes.

Buster uses the Stretch GUI settings and I presume the driver. I wonder what the difference is between the two drivers? What is vc4-fkms-v3d anyways. A noob question.

sal55

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:39 pm

I've had the same problem over the last week or so on a new RPi4, on 3 HDMI TVs out of 4 (but the 4th was the main 49" smartTV that was needed for other purposes).

It was a nuisance because all the most important bits (like the login/password prompts in text mode, or the main button on the GUI which is always right in the corner, or a full-screen editor display) are all off the edge of the screen!

For Raspbian, using 'sudo rpi-update' seemed to fix that, but with other test OSes, it is still an issue.

I wondered why the machine, in default mode, writes to the extreme edges anyway. Why not start off with generous margins and then configure it to use more of the screen area.

(Try editing config.txt in full-screen text mode with that crappy nano editor when you can't see the beginnings of the lines, not that that made any difference. The explanation about overscanning and whether the offsets should be positive or negative, was also very confusing. A 'bigger' or 'smaller' displayed image is a simpler concept.)

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 pm

sal55 wrote: I've had the same problem over the last week or so on a new RPi4, on 3 HDMI TVs out of 4 (but the 4th was the main 49" smartTV that was needed for other purposes).

It was a nuisance because all the most important bits (like the login/password prompts in text mode, or the main button on the GUI which is always right in the corner, or a full-screen editor display) are all off the edge of the screen!

For Raspbian, using 'sudo rpi-update' seemed to fix that, but with other test OSes, it is still an issue.

I wondered why the machine, in default mode, writes to the extreme edges anyway. Why not start off with generous margins and then configure it to use more of the screen area.

(Try editing config.txt in full-screen text mode with that crappy nano editor when you can't see the beginnings of the lines, not that that made any difference. The explanation about overscanning and whether the offsets should be positive or negative, was also very confusing. A 'bigger' or 'smaller' displayed image is a simpler concept.)
AIUI, and from my own tests with various displays, overscan needs and the "reporting" thereof, esp. by "newer" and "smartish" T.V.'s has changed
and this has unfortunately coincided with newer (improved) edid parsing/handling within Buster and the extra capabilities of the P4B. There are several others threads here which discuss progress (at the time of writing) and the most recent one I'm aware of is this: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=250675 which I link to from my own notes/example within my webpages here: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_p ... erP4B.html . W.r.t. "I wondered why the machine, in default mode, writes to the extreme edges anyway. Why not start off with generous margins and then configure it to use more of the screen area." that's because, historically, as a "hangover" from C.R.T./composite video practice an overscanned display was expected. To confuse things further some newer T.V.'s may or may not expect an overscanned input depending upon which input is in use and whether or not the T.V. "thinks" the source is a "P.C." (and may or may not report that behaviour within the edid info.).
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

sal55

Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 pm

FTrevorGowen wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 pm
that's because, historically, as a "hangover" from C.R.T./composite video practice an overscanned display was expected.
I don't really remember these sorts of problems. (I used to design - some decades ago - graphics boards many of which were compatible with UK TV scanning rates.)

The issue isn't so much with the visible display area exceeding the borders of the monitor, but why it is necessary to write right into the extremes of that display. Just leave a margin...

Return to “Troubleshooting”