captainhooyah

R-Pi Works for a couple minutes, then USB quits.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:37 am

I just bought a R-Pi, today I tried to use it and it works for a minute or two then the USB quit, but the display stays, and the pi seems to be running fine. The terminal prompt continues to blink.

I figured my mouse and keyboard were power hogs or something so I bought a powered usb hub. The same thing happened.

I read online that the power supply could be the issue, so I used various 5VDC power supplies, including a 2 amp 5v DC supply. Same thing happened. I always had ATLEAST 4.8 VDC between TP1 and 2. With the 2 amp I had 5 exactly.

I read that displays could sometimes make weird currents run through your pi, so I unplugged the display, and it still happened.

I read that it likes it if you sing to it, so I did... Same thing happened.

It's currently frozen and I have 34 mV across F3, which I'm guessing means I have 4.966 volts to work with after that thing. So I don't think it's the F3 conspiracy theory.

Is it time for an RMA? I feel like I've exhausted google.

captainhooyah

Re: R-Pi Works for a couple minutes, then USB quits.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:18 am

The voltage between TP1 and TP2 is 4.9Vdc when the pi isn't doing anything, when it's booting up or thinking it's at 4.8. When the usb goes out it goes up to 4.9 - 5, it comes back on for a couple seconds, then it turns back off. Eventually it will go up to 5.1, and that's when you know it gave up, it never comes back on after that.

ags131

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 am

This is the same thing happening with my 4 day old Pi, Could it be a bad batch of USB ICs?

Maxion

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:13 am

ags131 wrote:This is the same thing happening with my 4 day old Pi, Could it be a bad batch of USB ICs?
And mine, as well.

captainhooyah

Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:14 am

Anyone who has this problem should do the following to fix it:
1.) Unplug the pi.
2.) Take a deep breath, then sigh.
3.) Put the pi in the box it came in, and return it.
4.)Wait for a new one.

I got a second one and it works great.

Return to “Troubleshooting”