DaQue

Buster fails to boot from USB on 3B+

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:42 pm

I'm using a 16GB card and buster runs fine. I use etcher on a mac to write my images. When I try writing Jessie-stretch to a 256 GB sad in a USB 3 case it boots fine. Buster on the same drive doesn't. Boot. A few blinks and then nothing. No network lights flicker and no rainbow on the display. Rewrite the drive to Jessie-stretch its fine, try buster again nothing.

Aratosh

Re: Buster fails to boot from USB on 3B+

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:45 am

Same problem here as well when updating stretch After shutdown it stops booting.

Tryed etcher, dd with bs=2M and ddrescue. Any of the OS'es using the new RPI firmware throwing a kernelpanic in boot or arent readable from USB.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:23 am

Best way to boot Buster is put the /boot on the SD card and the rest of the OS on the HDD / SSD.

Have a look at https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 1&t=244965 for my process - running fine after lots of updates :)

DougieLawson

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:27 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:23 am
Best way to boot Buster is put the /boot on the SD card and the rest of the OS on the HDD / SSD.
Why?

Best way is to carve out a primary FAT partition (/dev/sda1) of 256MB at the front of your HDD/SSD and format that as FAT. Create an extended partition (/dev/sda2) for the rest of the space. In the extended partition create two partitions of at least 16GB (/dev/sda5 & /dev/sda6) create a third partition with the rest of the space.

Install Raspbian on an 8GB SDCard and boot it.
Unmount any partitions on the SDD/HDD that get automounted.
Install gparted
Copy /dev/mmcblk0p1 to /dev/sda1 (with dd or rsync, it's your choice)
Copy /dev/mmcblk0p2 to /dev/sda5 (use dd it'll fit because the target is 16GB)
Run gparted to expand the filesystem on /dev/sda5 to 16GB.
Copy /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda6 (we're going to flip-flop when Bullseye comes out, we going to leave this as a rescue system until then).
Run blkid
Mount /dev/sda1 on /mnt
Update /mnt/cmdline.txt with the PARTUUID for /dev/sda5
Unmount /dev/sda1
Mount /dev/sda5 on /mnt
Update /mnt/etc/fstab with the PARTUUID for /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 for /boot and / respectively.
Unmount /dev/sda5
Mount /dev/sda6 on /mnt
Update /mnt/etc/fstab with the PARTUUID for /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6

Poweroff
Eject the SDCard
Power on
Run gparted to format /dev/sda7 as ext4. Choose a mount point for it (/srv or /home), it's going to be the space where you store all of those movies etc. Update /etc/fstab with the PARTUUID for /dev/sda7 and the mount point.

It may sound like hard work but that's how my two 3Bs with hard drives are set-up.
If anything goes wrong you only need to update cmdline.txt on /dev/sda1 to boot the other good 16GB partition. You can trash either of those partitions and none of your valuable stuff gets lost.

Every time that raspberrypi-kernel and raspberrypi-bootloader get an update copy /dev/sda5 to /dev/sda6 (or vice versa - copy from the one that's active at the time). Don't forget this step or your rescue system will go stale and won't boot.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Aratosh

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:15 pm

I would say, best Way to boot buster is fixing the broken bcm2710-rpi-3-b-plus.dtb that worked before the Update, so theres no need for install guides or workarounds.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:19 pm

Why?
I'm cheap...
I have a pile of USB to sata adapters that the Pi will not boot from and this way it will :lol:

Aratosh

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:28 pm

Can you two stop taking about installing ways in a Bug Report?

The problem is a broken file in the Boot Directory of the official Image that stops the Pi 3 B+ booting from USB Sticks and no one wants to boot fuckin SSD drives

DougieLawson

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Aratosh wrote:
The problem is a broken file in the Boot Directory of the official Image that stops the Pi 3 B+ booting from USB Sticks and no one wants to boot ****** SSD drives *** *****.
Your post has been reported to the moderators for language. This is a family forum, young kids are allowed on here.

What are you talking about? Raspbian Buster boots from USB on ALL of my Raspberries that support booting from USB devices. That worked first go, straight from the download of 2019-07-10 from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest written with Etcher.

It works written to a USB stick, once it's booted from the stick it's easy to clone it to the HDD/SDD (as described above). For me, it's not practical to connect the HDD to Windows and run Etcher directly to the HDD.
Last edited by DougieLawson on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:34 pm

Aratosh wrote:
Can you two stop taking about installing ways in a Bug Report?

The problem is a broken file in the Boot Directory of the official Image that stops the Pi 3 B+ booting from USB Sticks...
Could you please moderate the language this is a family friendly forum with youngsters here.

Bugs in Buster are to be reported on this thread https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 6&t=243717 and have been since day one of the release. Please note - the first post (that you jumped on and turned in to a 'bug report') was not noted as that - and the OP read like they wanted help.

Andyroo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:37 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
What are you talking about? Raspbian Buster boots from USB on ALL of my Raspberries that support booting from USB devices. That worked first go, straight from the download of 2019-07-10 from https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_latest written with Etcher.

It works written to a USB stick, once it's booted from the stick it's easy to clone it to the HDD/SDD (as described above). For me, it's not practical to connect the HDD to Windows and run Etcher directly to the HDD.
Good point, I forgot the 3B+ (Reporter) upstairs - thats straight from the 500Gb HDD - its 'Watcher' and 'Zero' thats giving me the heartache with eh USB adapters :lol:

Aratosh

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:01 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
No it will not, the Pi 3 B+ (1.3) stops booting from All kinds of USB drives when updating the Firmware to newest in Stretch and completely in Buster.

Also its raises a Kerndlpanic in Arch ARM and Kali when updating the Firmware and rebooting (there was no Problem with the old Firmware!)

The only OSes booting atm on Raspberry 3 B+ are those with custom Firmware (Fedberry and Ubuntu Mate)

And des, all of them booting on 3 B with no Problems.

Pi 3 B != Pi 3 B+

pws

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:48 pm

Aratosh wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:01 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
No it will not, the Pi 3 B+ (1.3) stops booting from All kinds of USB drives when updating the Firmware to newest in Stretch and completely in Buster.
Both (Stretch, Buster) USB boot work fine for me also on 3B+ - you need to figure out what YOU are doing wrong......

Aratosh

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Point 1: The Stick will boot on my Pi 3 B and not on my Pi 3 B + ==> no Image Problem
Point 2: The Image moved to SD will boot on Pi 3 B + ==> no Image Problem
Point 3: Other distros using CFW run on USB ==> no Hardware Problem
Point 4: Using stretch works, after updating to new Firmware it stops booting ==> firmware Problem
Point 5: Arch ARM wont boot (uses the official Firmware) aftrer downgrading the Firmware it will boot ==> not an User Problem
Point 6: Theres a mass of same Problems in this Forum, the german Forum and the Arch ARM Forum ==> not an User Problem
Point 7: Using a RPI 3 B+ rev 1.3 UK, offical Power Suply ==> not a Hardware Problem

The only mistake i was made was to posting in a Forum where Users wth 20 Years of unix experience and 5 Years using Arch Linux seen as Idiots who dont know how to setup an Image. I learned out of this mistake and will avoid the Forum and using a Beta OS like Raspbian, the Debian Distro with the most bugs ive ever seen.

DougieLawson

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:56 pm

And another ungrateful user arrives on my forum ignore list.

Return to “Troubleshooting”