Montala

Problem with new Pi 4

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi,
I received my new 2 Gb Raspberry 4 directly from the Pi Hut as part of their 'Starter Kit' which also included a case, new power supply, micro HDMI cable and a micro SD card containing Noobs. This was ordered at 9 am on Monday morning, and I received the despatch email less than an hour later. It was delivered the next morning by DHL, so excellent service from the Pi Hut.

Anyway, the first install went off well (using my own Logitech K400 keyboard & trackpad) although the updating took a fair time, and I made sure to select the UK keyboard option. However, when it loaded into 'Buster' this had reverted to a US Keyboard (@ sign in the wrong place!) which I had to change to the UK option. I was then offered a choice of Character set (I think that's right) but wasn't sure which one to choose!

This could well confuse some folk, although I do appreciate that there will almost certainly be some updates to Noobs, and the OS software, over the next few weeks.

My final comment is that on completion of my 'session' the case (containing the Pi 4) was much hotter than I had expected, so a finned heat sink is definitely on my shopping list!

Montala

Re: Problem with new Pi 4

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:21 pm

No, I hadn't seen either of those, as I have been "out of the loop" for quite some time now, but it does indeed look as if there is a poblem in this area.
I do actually recall seeing a mention of 'German' appearing for some reason, though!

Is this the sort of problem which will be corrected before the final version of 'Buster' is released do you think, or is there anything which the Raspberry Pi team can do to correct things?

Your reply is much appreciated, and I hope that it will be noted by others also!

Andyroo

Re: Problem with new Pi 4

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:00 pm

To be honest I have no idea :oops:

I’m only running Linux on Pi boards, one VM (Raspbian Desktop - stretch) and on a laptop (elementary OS) and this is the first time I’ve seen this type of error as all my Stretch boxes are headless from a Mac :lol:

I would guess that a new version of Buster will come reasonably soon but first fixes will come via apt and it will be a download, flash, connect to the net, update / upgrade then configure. This is total conjecture though :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”