timpjriley

USB hard drive mounting as read only

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I am using raspbian and trying to mount a WD elements 1TB hard drive formatted as NTFS to my pi.

I use the sudo mount command however it comes up with a warning saying that the drive has been mounted as read only?

Is this a problem with pi and NTFS or something else?

stevepdp

Re: USB hard drive mounting as read only

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:35 pm

This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!

Joe Schmoe

Re: USB hard drive mounting as read only

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:21 pm

stevepdp wrote:This is usually a problem with the drive having not been unmounted cleanly on Windows.

May I suggest plugging it in to a Windows, let it mount and then unmount it using the safe removal tool in the taskbar/superbar?

As NTFS support in Linux is reverse engineered and experimental, the NTFS-3G program will refuse to mount unclean volumes.

Hope this helps!
This is certainly true, but the first question has to be:

Have you installed (and are presently using) the "new" ntfs-3g driver (as opposed to the standard/"old" ntfs driver) ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Return to “Troubleshooting”