b3lt3r

Pi 4 Installation Issues (Solved)

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:07 pm

Very strange - sequence as follows:
1. Boot with new Buster image to desktop.
2. Do the various setup tasks except upgrades
3. Reboot and I get no display - green light flashes as expected but no screen

There is HDMI output because my display switches to the Pi but then says "No Signal"

I reflashed to another card and pretty much repeated. Only difference this time is that I changed to boot to console. The first reboot hung, I powercycled and it came up to console and behaved as expected until I went for another reboot and now I'm back with a (apparently) DOA board.

The green light flashes (by eye) as expected when power is applied so I don't believe it's SPI corruption. I will reflash again and maybe try a Stretch image but this is a concern.

Anyone else?
Last edited by b3lt3r on Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Pi 4 Installation Issues

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Sounds odd. We have not encountered this.

Couple of things - what size card are you using? And next time you run through the setup wizard, please do the updates, there a lot of important fixes in there.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

b3lt3r

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Well. Before removing the SD I powercycled once more and this time it came up.... I am currently running the updates (I see bootcode in there) so as soon as it's finished I'll try another rebooot and see what happens.

b3lt3r

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm

More weirdness.

Upgrade of Buster completed. Shutdown -r now and same result again - blank console, connection timeout via SSH.

Powercycle again - I see boot messages on the console then "No signal". Before powercycling again, I SSH and connect normally. So currently in the machine remotely but the HDMI output shows me nothing.

Regarding the cards - both that I've used are 16Gb Sandisk Class10. I think I will reflash the original card with Wheezy and see it that behaves consistently because what I have at the moment isn't.

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to try.

Thanks

B.Goode

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:01 pm

b3lt3r wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm
I think I will reflash the original card with Wheezy and see it that behaves consistently because what I have at the moment isn't.
and
I will reflash again and maybe try a Stretch image

I don't have an RPi4 to test, but I would expect any Raspbian OS prior to the June 2019 release of Raspbian Buster to fail to boot your board.

b3lt3r

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm

I had that suspicion also, and decided not to try. I see a line in config.txt which talks about enabling HDMI safe mode if the display is blank. I'm just loathe to change things I don't understand atm given that the system begins with it working and then degrades at reboot....

Confused.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:23 pm

b3lt3r wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:14 pm
I had that suspicion also, and decided not to try. I see a line in config.txt which talks about enabling HDMI safe mode if the display is blank. I'm just loathe to change things I don't understand atm given that the system begins with it working and then degrades at reboot....

Confused.

Only Buster is officially supported on the RPi 4B SBC.

I would download Raspbian Buster again and create the SD Card with Etcher ( Etcher will unzip as part of the process )

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

joshrogan

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:33 pm

Just to say I'm having really inconsistent time here as well.

Off-pi:
Firstly i couldn't d/l through the torrent (i believe this has now been resolved)
next i couldn't install via etcher - no idea why, the d/l's matched the sha256

next i spent a good hour faffing about with a usb stick, only to discover that booting from usb has been (temproarily) switched off since pi 3 b+

now i have debian bust full on an sd card and i cannot seem to boot 2 times in a row, i have tried 2 different power supplies. never any error, just power to the screen drops.. or sometimes it doesn't get there at all.

richieeee

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm

By any chance are you using hdmi1? I posted about this before reading about your woes. Try hdmi0, near the usb-c power input.
Last edited by richieeee on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:42 pm

With its new BOOTROM (EEPROM) regular flashing of the green ACT LED will occur if the RPI doesn't detect start.elf, so only if the ACT LED flashes in an irregular pattern, the PI is booting!

you can check this by removing the SD-card (and all other potential boot media) and turn the PI on, the ACT LED will start blinking in a regular pattern!

b3lt3r

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:33 am

Ha! - Genius!

I moved the HDMI lead to port 0 (nearest the USB-C) and I now have a working console - thank you for that suggestion!

As the screen remained active I saw that the blanking occurs when the message "Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen" is sent - in port 1 the console stays blank - in port 0, it goes blank and then switches on again. I won't open champagne yet as I'd like another success first but it's progress.

Why did I use port 1?
a). not told not to
b). just to avoid having the HDMI cable right up against the power cable - both are official cables and the HDMI shroud is way wider than it needs to be which made me concerned about stressing the port if I pushed on it while my fat fingers removed the power lead.

OK. further reboot done with success - for now I can close this ticket, all thanks to richieeee

Gavinmc42

Re: Pi 4 Installation Issues (Solved)

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:48 am

Wow, that will cause issue for those without 2 x 4K screens.
I would have done the same thing.

That should go in the sticky?
Try HDMI0 first.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

joshrogan

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 pm

richieeee wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:20 pm
By any chance are you using hdmi1? I posted about this before reading about your woes. Try hdmi0, near the usb-c power input.
Thank you VERY much, this seems to have solved my problems - agreed - this should be put on a sticky

jamesh

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:41 pm

Hmm, it should work in both, but HDMI 0 is preferred.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

richieeee

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Yes, it stops dual screen ability. I'm on my 2nd replacement Pi4 and this one has a fault with hdmi1 too.

Back to the Pi shop tonight. Hopefully 3rd time lucky.

b3lt3r

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh. This is an actual hardware issue? Has the Pi shop confirmed what the issue is?

Personally it's not a deal breaker for me as the unit I have now will run 99.99% headless and 1 screen if ever, but it would be good to know what to look out for when (yes when) I buy other units which I'd probably want to run with multiple displays.

richieeee

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:51 pm

The shop think it is software related and not a hardware issue. They are investigating. They have my two returned boards and one in the shop with issues. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

chrislongden

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 pm

I too was having booting problems and nothing appearing on the display, thought the Pi was done for as I'd refreshed multiple different images and was getting no where.

I simply used the HDMI 0, next to the power and it works. Weird it booted first time on HDMI 1 and then never again. Just glad its working now.

with ice cream

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:34 pm

jamesh wrote:
I'm ran into a similar issue. I cannot use HDMI0 since the width of my HDMI adapter does not allow it. On the first boot with buster my display on HDMI1 worked. After updating the display stayed off. Now, the behavior is inconsistent. Sometimes the display appears after rebooting, sometimes it doesn't. Syslogs shows error messages that seem to be related to DRM.

dpc

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:17 pm

jamesh wrote:
I have been trying to boot with dual monitors (using both HDMI0 and HDMI1 ports) on new Pi 4 / 4GB

My Pi 4 _ONLY_ boots "full" Buster "headed" with a cable connected into HDMI0 (closest to USB power). Both monitors and cables have been tested and work (from HDMI0). The monitors are 1080p.

If there is a monitor cable connected to both HDMI0 and HDMI1 it refuses to boot (no rainbow gradient, no four Pis, etc.)
If there is a monitor cable connected to only HDMI1 it refuses to boot (no rainbow gradient, no four Pis, etc.)

It boots headless (neither HDMI0 or HDMI1), and is then accessible from network.

with ice cream

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Thanks for chiming in. I‘m currently away from my Pi 4 and can‘t do further tests. Since this thread is marked as solved I recommend starting a new one.

Squirt

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 am

i've been pulling my hair out for months trying to get my screen resolution sorted. i remember i had the same symptoms this dude reported in the beginning. ive been scouring the web for a solution and decided i should get plastered on wild turkey and coke and just give up and somehow i found this thread and POW its fixed by using the other primary video port. I don't know how i should feel. Im happy that its fixed and infuriated that the hdmi(0) is not clearly labeled. I cannot express how frustrating this has been for me without liberal use of profanity. why is this not a sticky for resolution and boot problems on a rpi4b? :cry:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Squirt wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 am
. why is this not a sticky for resolution and boot problems on a rpi4b? :cry:
For ages now this has been in the RPI4 part of the boot problem sticky:
If you don't get a picture out of your HDMI monitor you might want to try it with the primary HDMI port, which is the one located near the USB-C power port.
I do agree that the labelling of the HDMI ports is lacking, probably because the hardware designers thought both ports would become equal.
Even better would have been if they would have left the primary port full size.

Return to “Troubleshooting”