Jake.B

RasPi B+ Stopped working suddenly, won't boot back up

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:19 am

The other night I was working with the GPIO and using a breadboard in junction to power some small LED's. I noticed in the corner of my eye that the screen turned off, didn't think much of it because I just figured it was the sleep function. Then I noticed that something weird was happening and that none of my LED's were lighting up (I was using resisters and hadn't plugged any in yet at the time of it shutting off) I can't remember if the Pi turned off or if I tried to restart it. I think I tried to wake the screen and realized I couldn't so I tried to restart it. Any suggestions for what to do? I don't believe I shorted anything as I was using the 3.3V output and resisters which would've lowered it. I use a SanDisk 16GB MicroSD to boot using rasbian. The red LED will turn on when I connect power, but when I tried to test if the 3.3V still worked, my led didn't light up like it usually would on boot, however that may be because the system isn't running, not sure.

Also, my friend was messing around on it not knowing what he was doing and ejected the SD while using the system, which prompted the nav bar to disappear. I immediately turned it off and rebooted. It worked fine for a good many hours after that.

Any help is appreciated greatly!

klricks

Re: RasPi B+ Stopped working suddenly, won't boot back up

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:42 pm

You should not be adding circuits to the GPIO with the power on.
Shorting 3V3 to ground will instantly destroy a RPi 3B+. If you do not have 3V3 on pin 1 then that is what happened.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Jake.B

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 am

I was using Pin 1 as the 3.3V output, is this where I went wrong?

dl324

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:53 am

Jake.B wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:07 am
I was using Pin 1 as the 3.3V output, is this where I went wrong?
If you shorted the 3.3V supply, it shouldn't damage the BCM2835 (you are talking about RPi B+, not 3B+, correct?).

If the RPF bothered to put the part number for the voltage regulator on the schematic, I'd be inclined to look at the datasheet to see how it might respond to a short.

Measure the 3 supply voltages to see what you have and go from there.

If you're careful to not short things when you're connecting/disconnecting things from the GPIO, doing it on a running Pi shouldn't cause problems.

Jake.B

Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:53 am

I am talking about the 3B+, I also don't know what half of that means. I'm using the canakit (i think thats the name) power supply if that helps. The light still comes on so I guess something is going right?

rpdom

Re: RasPi 3B+ Stopped working suddenly, won't boot back up

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:08 am

Jake.B wrote:
I am talking about the 3B+, I also don't know what half of that means. I'm using the canakit (i think thats the name) power supply if that helps. The light still comes on so I guess something is going right?
You should change the title to say 3B+ then, just to avoid confusion with the original B+.

If the 3.3V pin is dead it means the voltage control chip on the Pi is dead. New Pi time.

The Red PWR light will come on if the Pi is receiving a good 5V from the power supply. It goes out if that drops too low. It doesn't mean the Pi is working.
Unreadable squiggle

Jake.B

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm

So how exactly did I screw it up?

rpdom

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Jake.B wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:01 pm
So how exactly did I screw it up?
The most common way seems to be to short the 3.3V pin to Ground or 5V. Putting too much load on the 3.3V pin is another possibility. Even a momentary short is enough. The Pi 3B+ seems to be more sensitive to this than previous models, unfortunately.
Unreadable squiggle

dl324

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Jake.B wrote:
The light still comes on so I guess something is going right?
If you're referring to the red LED, that's a 5V present indicator. There isn't an LED on 3.3V, you need to measure on the header.

Return to “Troubleshooting”