RobertEadie

Cannot connect to pivpn

Sat May 25, 2019 11:59 am

Hi,
I've setup pivpn on a rather old (Revision 1) Pi and the install and configure seemed to go OK.. Using Stretch Lite.
However, I cannot connect using my Android Phone and OpenVPN.
I know OpenVPN client and my router are fine, as I have another VPN (on Synology box) and when I change the router port forwarding to the Synology, I can connect to that fine. And I've checked that UDP port 1194 is open on the Pi.
I don't know enough about how to diagnose what's going wrong with the Pi. Finding and interpreting log files is stretching my ability with Linux. I use WinSCP to see files on the Pi, but then can't diagnose what's going wrong.
I'm using the profile file provided by my configuration on the Pi, name.ovpn, but keep just getting 'There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server' from OpenVPN.
Can anyone help me diagnose and overcome this problem?
Robert

Andyroo

Re: Cannot connect to pivpn

Sat May 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Welcome to the forum.

You may find the OpenVPN troubleshooting page a good place to start https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... nectivity/

Work through that and come back if you are stuck doing something or need help interpreting what you get.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

RobertEadie

Re: Cannot connect to pivpn

Mon May 27, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks. My trouble was trying to connect from my home network, using the external IP of my router, back to the Pi on my home network.
I have now moved the Pi to another network and can connect fine.
(I'm now onto the next problem, as routing is not working through the tunnel . . . but I will post a new thread for this.)
Can I close this 'issue' now, or what happens?

Return to “Troubleshooting”