LTolledo wrote: ↑
Sun May 19, 2019 10:13 pm
1. in winpc backup the old microSD using Win32DiskImager
2. flash the backed up image to new microSD using Etcher
Thanks for the initial replies folks.
Just to be clear, I had already cloned the card using Win32dDiskImager (READ) and Etcher (WRITE), so there were no issues there.
I even pre-empted issues and created a 'target' fstab file (with correct blkid for root partitions) and edits the cmdline.txt to reflect this.
1. Use Win32DiskImager to make an unedited clone of my working SD card. Call this ORIG.img
2. On my working system, edit /etc/fstab to remove all USB disk mounts and change the boot partition to reflect correct blkid (xxxxxxxx-01 and xxxxxxxx-02) codes. Edit /boot/cmdline.txt to have the correct xxxxxxxx-02 root partition to be read. Note that by doing so, rebooting my system will break it ...
3. Clone this edited version via Win32DiskImager to COPY.img
4. Use Etcher to write back ORIG.img to the source SD card.
5. Use Etcher to write COPY.img to the new SD card.
6. Original version (on both RPi hardware) works fine. Cloned/edited version fails to boot.
So am really scratching my head as to why my original copy boots fine, but the slightly modified version cannot progress past boot sequence. I am sure there's something simple that I am missing ... I was hoping by buying another 3b (and not the newer 3b+ version) would make this job easier!