squalldna

Raspberry pi zero w no data on micro usb port

Sun May 19, 2019 3:24 am

Good day.
I've been trying to connect my usb camera for my motioneyeos and noticed that my micro usb port for data power has stopped functioning well. Please note that i know where the data and power is as well as the power only port. Also, the data port USED to work before but now has ceased to function. Also tested that the 5V Gnd works. So powering it still works via data power port. However, i noticed that GND to -D is 0V and GND to +D is 3.2.
I believe that my data port is dead. My question is, is there a way to bridge terminal so that is can make this port function again? Thank you.

Imperf3kt

Re: Raspberry pi zero w no data on micro usb port

Sun May 19, 2019 6:38 am

The USB on a zero connects directly to the SOC. It can't be dead without your entire Pi being dead.
How have you determined that it is dead (what symptoms does it give, not recognising devices?)
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

rpdom

Sun May 19, 2019 8:51 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
The USB on a zero connects directly to the SOC. It can't be dead without your entire Pi being dead.
Agreed.

I suppose it is remotely possible that the USB block on the SoC has died without killing the rest of the chip, but that is unlikely.

Another possibility is that too high a current has been used on the USB at some point and some of the traces on the circuit board have burnt out, or maybe physically damaged.

squalldna

Sun May 19, 2019 1:02 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
How have you determined that it is dead (what symptoms does it give, not recognising devices?)
Yes. No device is being recognized. With raspbian, my keyboard is not recognized.
With motioneyeos, my usb cam cant be found.

squalldna

Sun May 19, 2019 1:04 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:51 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Agreed.

I suppose it is remotely possible that the USB block on the SoC has died without killing the rest of the chip, but that is unlikely.

Another possibility is that too high a current has been used on the USB at some point and some of the traces on the circuit board have burnt out, or maybe physically damaged.
I might have shorted something from my tinkering while the device is powered thru the data power usb, im not 100% sure..

Return to “Troubleshooting”