Andyroo

Re: Connecting to my Windows 7 network

Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 pm

The only way I know of doing anything like that is via the hidden shares for each drive which is an administrative level share.

Can you really see things such as the Windows program directory?

PhatFil

Mon May 13, 2019 12:59 am

Valiant effort guys,, this chap will see his files eh ;)

I think that this might just be all the OP needs to sit down and read?

https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
If not it may just get everyone using the same language, so we can centre in on the actual issue here?

Ernst

Mon May 13, 2019 6:13 am

PhatFil wrote:

If not it may just get everyone using the same language, so we can centre in on the actual issue here?
In the meanwhile I think I have a bit of understanding what the OP is trying to achieve, it would have been very helpful if the OP had given a proper answer to my last post. Your post provided me with a reason to get out now because getting ping to work is relatively simple compared to getting a Windows 7 PC to share its resources. (btw. no problem for me, my first MCSE was with NT 3.51)
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

hortimech

Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 am

PhatFil wrote:

No, it's more likely to confuse the OP, what with things like this under step 5:

Note: Network browsing is no longer possible with Samba v2 and upwards. Samba v1 was deprecated May 2018.

It isn't 'Samba', it is SMB and there has never been network browsing with SMBv2, it would be better written like this:

Note: Network browsing is no longer possible since SMBv1 was deprecated in May 2018, SMBv2 and upwards does not allow network browsing.

LTolledo

Mon May 13, 2019 10:07 am

I had the same problem before..

trying to browse my win10 shares from RPi.

Win10 to win10 browsing was OK
Win10 to RPi was also OK
RPi to Win10 not OK
RPi to another RPi OK

took me a couple of tries (and days)...
then I though I have not created the same RPi user on Win10
created the user name
set privileges and access rights to the shares
RESET the router....
reboot everything connected to the network....

....and all went well after reboot....

tried viewing video files from Kodi, accessing the share directory on a win10 pc......worked as expected.

I had a win7 laptop also (before I yanked out the old HDD and replaced it with SSD + Linux Mint)... back then both RPi and WIn7 can connect to each other's shares.....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

LTolledo

Mon May 13, 2019 10:17 am

hortimech wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:06 am

Note: Network browsing is no longer possible since SMBv1 was deprecated in May 2018, SMBv2 and upwards does not allow network browsing.
I was also warned about this as well by hortimech, when my PiTopRPi3B was not accessing network shares. Have not tried it yet on a fresh install, but it could be as stated above.

Also noticed this on a freshly installed Linux Mint when I tried browsing the network shares in my network (shares from RPi, NAS, WIn10, other SBC).
the only way I can access those is to mount those shares via /etc/fstab, and access seems a bit faster than doing it via network browsing.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

carlmart

Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am

OK, let's hope what I want is clear now. I didn't realize it was not, maybe because I think things in a different way.

For instance, I still do not understand how the SMBv1 was deprecation done in May 2018 reached my Windows 7 later installs, as I did not allow it to update. How did it happen? But that doesn't seem to be important anyhow.

So how do I do my share now, with the available tools?

Sharing a server is certainly something that happens everyday, or we wouldn't have internet to start with. Or streaming.

The question is how Windows, in my case 7, will communicate with a server. Then we can discuss how the rest communicates with the server when the server s Windows.

Andyroo

Mon May 13, 2019 12:19 pm

carlmart wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 am
OK, let's hope what I want is clear now. I didn't realize it was not, maybe because I think things in a different way.
Nope - sorry :oops:

You started by asking how the Pi can access a Windows 7 PC and now you are asking how a Windows 7 PC can access a server.

Is the Pi the server or another box the server? If it’s not the Pi then it would be better to ask in a Windows forum than here.

I’m well lost :roll:

I think it may be best for you to think carefully about your aims, where you see the Pi fit and start a new thread to discuss the Pi config (either as a client or server) and what your set up is. Unfortunately forum members do not have crystal balls (and even the Pi 4 will not have them as an option) so more details about your set up (inc network connections) should be shared.

Ernst

Mon May 13, 2019 12:27 pm

@Andyroo

Thank you, if fully agree. I have been a bit worried because my crystal ball has not yet returned from service and I have not been able to find a working spare ball in my surplus box. I may have to ask around in Cambridge if anybody can get Catweazle to offer some assistance in this matter.

carlmart

Mon May 13, 2019 12:51 pm

But I did share all the information you asked.

No problem starting a new thread, but I do not think why it would be different from this.

The title sums it all up: Connecting to my Windows 7 network.

My very first post says what I want: to connect my Raspberry Pi3 +B to my Windows 7 PC, by Ethernet.

What other information is missing? You do not need a crystal ball or anything, it's crystal clear what I want. To connect my Pi 3 to my Windows 7 by Ethernet cable, plain and simple.

Andyroo

Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm

But that not what you say here:
The question is how Windows, in my case 7, will communicate with a server. Then we can discuss how the rest communicates with the server when the server s Windows.

Ernst

Mon May 13, 2019 2:10 pm

carlmart wrote:
My very first post says what I want: to connect my Raspberry Pi3 +B to my Windows 7 PC, by Ethernet.
Please answer why and for what purpose.
carlmart wrote:
To connect my Pi 3 to my Windows 7 by Ethernet cable, plain and simple.
Take cable, plug one end into PC and other end in to Pi 3, and you have connected by ethernet cable.
This is what the network experts call the physical layer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_physical_layer

What I understand is that you want to communicate using the SMB over TCP/IP between a raspberry Pi and a Windows PC. In this case one device will be the "client" and the other device will be the "server". This means that you have to configure a client software and an application on the server to provide a service that can be used by the client.

If the Windows PC is to be the server then you have already completed the setup, in that case you have to configure the client with the necessary information to be able to access the server application, this means IP address, the resource (share name), authentication/authorisation (username,password). Depending on your authorisation the PC may deny access or hide resources.

To get further I suggest you stop playing with Kodi and install a raspbian with desktop on the raspberry pi. Use this installation to connect to the Windows PC. Once you got that working you can advance to the next stage. Installing raspbian with desktop needs an additional memory card and very little time, is definitely worth the effort because you can concentrate on the connectivity.

carlmart

Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:30 pm
But that not what you say here:
It seems you are confusing what I had said on several places before that comment, that I wanted to use the Pi to download data from the Windows 7, which would be the server.

My comment on what you quoted was that soon I was going to add a separate server to my network, and how everything would intercommunicate.

Please answer why and for what purpose.
Purpose: to stream video and audio data to the Pi. Why? because my old ethernet interface is not working anymore.
To get further I suggest you stop playing with Kodi and install a raspbian with desktop on the raspberry pi. Use this installation to connect to the Windows PC. Once you got that working you can advance to the next stage. Installing raspbian with desktop needs an additional memory card and very little time, is definitely worth the effort because you can concentrate on the connectivity.
But I did that and I told that here. I installed Raspbian Stretch on a different card, and booted from it. I was asked to look for the smb.conf txt and add some line, which then I was told was not necessary.

So I was getting ready for the next step to complete my connection to the PC.

Please tell me how I complete my connection to the PC, so I can access my shared directories there.

Ernst

Mon May 13, 2019 5:57 pm

carlmart wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:00 pm
Please tell me how I complete my connection to the PC, so I can access my shared directories there.
Please get this into your mind: the connection is complete when you can ping the PC from the raspberry.

To be able to read a file that is stored on the PC you have to instruct the client software to present authentication information (~ logon) to the PC and access the file on the resource (share) exported by the operating system on the PC. If the client and the server are Windows 7 then you would use the "net" command to assign a drive letter that becomes part of the local file system on the client:

Code: Select all

C:\Users>net use * \\192.168.0.5\LUMIX /user:ernst xxxxxx
Drive Z: is now connected to \\192.168.0.5\LUMIX.

The command completed successfully.

C:\Users>dir z:
 Volume in drive Z is DRIVE-E
 Volume Serial Number is 4CEE-AC34

Directory of Z:\

07.02.2017  12:09    <DIR>          .
07.02.2017  12:09    <DIR>          ..
13.02.2017  11:37    <DIR>          20140126
29.02.2016  08:55    <DIR>          20140128
29.02.2016  08:55    <DIR>          20160215
29.02.2016  08:55    <DIR>          20160216
25.03.2016  13:29    <DIR>          20160217
29.02.2016  08:55    <DIR>          20160221
               0 File(s)              0 bytes
               8 Dir(s)  515.699.650.560 bytes free

C:\Users>net use z: /d
z: was deleted successfully.

C:\Users>
NOTE: You must be aware that there are (can be) two access controls on a windows share, the first is the share permissions and the second is the file system permissions if using NTFS. On my system the permissions (ACLs) on the share have been set to "Full Control, Change, Read" for the group "everyone", and "Modify, Read & Execute, List, Read, Write" for the group "authenticated users" in the NTFS file system.
Under "normal" conditions this should not be a problem on your PC but if you get "access denied" you will have to find out why you do not get access.
On a Windows system there will be two access controls on a share if the file system is NTFS and the share level access control has the highest priority. If the file system is not NTFS only the share level access control will be used.

When the client is a linux system you can use the "mount" command, like this where I mount as root the Windows 7 share "LUMIX" from the server (PC) with the address "192.168.0.5" on the mount point "/mnt/test" using the cifs (=SMB) protocol. This works because I have already installed cifs-utils, the access control lists (ACLs) on the share and the NTFS file system have been configured already.

[email protected]:~ $ sudo mkdir /mnt/test
[email protected]:~ $ sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.5/LUMIX /mnt/test -o user=ernst,password=xxxxxxx
[email protected]:~ $ ls /mnt/test
20140126  20140128  20160215  20160216  20160217  20160221
[email protected]:~ $ sudo umount /mnt/test
[email protected]:~ $ sudo rmdir /mnt/test
for more information see:

man mount
man mount.cifs
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Mo ... e_in_Linux
https://blog.netwrix.com/2018/05/03/dif ... rmissions/

Andyroo

Mon May 13, 2019 7:03 pm

Try this walkthrough https://www.bitpi.co/2015/02/16/accessi ... pberry-pi/

Be aware that adding the mount into fstab can give you boot issues IF the Windows share does not exist on the network (i.e. PC off), you can add nofail to the line to help.

carlmart

Wed May 15, 2019 12:19 pm

This problem ended up being solved in this way.

Following a friend's suggestion, I created a new user with a password.

The user I was logging from, as administrator, didn't have a password.

So I went to Kodi and created a new link to the PC IP, this time adding the new user and password down below.

No error was shown, and the new SMB link was created, working as it was supposed to.

Why adding a password seems to have been the reason for being able to log in?

Return to “Troubleshooting”