MarcelOu

Samba problem with chars like é and ó

Sun May 05, 2019 1:59 pm

I just set up Rasbian with samba and it's working fine. I can copy everything from my windows computer to the samba share on de raspberry.
It goes wrong when i try to copy files with some chars like ó é ê in the filename. Windows then give me the message that the file is to large (not true).

I did try some charset modifications in the smb.conf file with no luck. I am certainly missing something. Not very experienced with this.

eriknau

Re: Samba problem with chars like é and ó

Tue May 28, 2019 10:28 am

I am having the same problem. I am using the Raspberry Pi as a media server to store iTunes media and iTunes will not recognize any songs with accented characters. Anyone with information on how to get Raspberry Pi to encode these characters please help.

MarcelOu

Tue May 28, 2019 10:35 am

I solved my problem. it was solved by formatting the attached storage as extFS. When using VFat it gives the problem as mentioned.

Andyroo

Tue May 28, 2019 3:33 pm

There is a section in the SAMBA config that may help as well depending on the Pi and other devices locales / national language settings.

You add commands along the lines of
[global]
dos charset = 866
unix charset = UTF-8
display charset = UTF-8
Mac users also have a way to map ‘illegal’ NTFS characters to Unicode with fruit:encoding but we have lots of other issues with Samba config for full Mac support :lol: :roll: :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

eriknau

Tue May 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks Andyroo I'm going to give this a try later as a bit of research seemed to show the problem is with setting locale.

eriknau

Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:36 pm

@Andyroo adding the global charset is not helping.
Also tried reconfiguring the locale https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/q ... -the-shell, that did not help.
@MarcelOU my drive is indeed vfat, I'm hoping I don't have to reformat but maybe that is the answer.

hortimech

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:51 am

I take it you are mounting the drive somehow, so try adding '-o utf8'

eriknau

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:44 pm

That did it! Thank you!

Return to “Troubleshooting”