victorvace

Excessive consumption of 3G with the change of summer time.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:03 am

Hello forum partners.
It turns out that I have been left in charge of a project in which we have several raspberry distributed around my city connected to a router (TP-LINK TL-MR3020) special to put them USB sticks of 3G connection.
These raspberry consume internet through 3G for simple requests to a server. The problem comes when suddenly with the change of schedule from winter to summer the consumption of 3G data is triggered. We did not know what was happening and we did not have the date collected, but suddenly when we changed from summer to winter time, consumption was normalized to the use of the application (a very low consumption) that we have installed for the use of signings.
The system worked properly connected to Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and Raspbian as operating system. This system does not have the graphical interface part but it installed an own application with an interface for touch screens. We have ruled out that excessive 3G data consumption comes from our application thanks to a sniffer, which is why we attribute it to the raspberry system. It was then when reviewing the data we realized that the consumption of data coincided only with the summer time and was not solved with a simple restart.
We have also ruled out that the raspberry has been attacked, since having a 3G connection there is no remote access by any port (in the case of our operator). In addition, the WiFi of the router is disabled since they are connected by cable from the router to the raspberry.
What can I do so that my raspberry does not consume 3G data in an uncontrolled way? Is it due to some service to maintain the correct schedule? Problems with the ntp service?
As you will understand, I can not walk around all the points several times and consuming raspberry's 3G Internet to update things so if there is a solution to consume the minimum amount of data I would like to have a detailed explanation of why it happens, how to solve it, and what to do so that it does not happen again.
Thanks in advance and I am attentive to any solution.

Joel_Mckay

Re: Excessive consumption of 3G with the change of summer time.

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 am

In general, there are many processes that can update, report, and download data.
From your description, it sounds like IT debt... where the employee disappeared.... note, over 90% of security problems are usually current/former staff who are familiar with the systems.

If you exposed an OS to the public, than one can encounter several issues if these devices allow general internet or wifi access. Some M2M SIM providers do offer sand-boxed networks for such devices, and may help reduce Internet access theft-of-service issues.

If the application is cloud based, than you are at the mercy of the design pitfalls.... especially if it was an MVP focused project.

If your logs are not helpful, than you may need to do a code audit to figure out whats happening.
;-)

Return to “Troubleshooting”