shrewdgamer

Is there a way to fsck run on boot if there is an unclean shutdown.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:16 pm

In Windows if there was an unclean shutdown, scandisk would at the next boot.

Can something like that be set in Raspbian? Like make fsck to run on boot and check the boot and root partitions for errors and repair them.
I have:
Raspberry Pi 3B+ with official power supply
Sandisk Class 10 SD card with Raspbian Stretch full

rpdom

Re: Is there a way to fsck run on boot if there is an unclean shutdown.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 am

That should happen automatically. It is part of the boot sequence. It may be so quick that you don't notice it.
Unreadable squiggle

W. H. Heydt

Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 am

rpdom wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 am
That should happen automatically. It is part of the boot sequence. It may be so quick that you don't notice it.
Yup. Use larger capacity storage media (e.g. 314GB PiDrive) and it takes long enough to notice.

shrewdgamer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 am

What is happening here is that I'm getting -110 unable to initialize card error, there is a random power and it is showing that.

I'm leaving the Raspberry Pi on and by the next day it heats so much, it becomes unresponsive and I have no choice but to disconnect the power and reconnect it, and on starting up it refuses to boot into desktop, showing -110 unable to initialize among other things while turned off while card was in use, etc

Even now I'm getting the same message, running fsck through other computers is also not resolving it.

Can I connect keyboard and mouse through a USB hub or directly?
I have:

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 pm

please don't double post, second copy will be delete...

Paeryn

Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 am

shrewdgamer wrote:
What is happening here is that I'm getting -110 unable to initialize card error, there is a random power and it is showing that.

I'm leaving the Raspberry Pi on and by the next day it heats so much, it becomes unresponsive and I have no choice but to disconnect the power and reconnect it, and on starting up it refuses to boot into desktop, showing -110 unable to initialize among other things while turned off while card was in use, etc

Even now I'm getting the same message, running fsck through other computers is also not resolving it.

If you are getting a -110 error then it's more serious than an inconsistant file system, it sounds like it's having problems talking to the card. If the RPi is overheating and crashing then it sounds like the SD card or even the RPi may be damaged, have you tried with a new SD card? If the same problems still happen then you might be needing a new RPi. Have the GPIO pins ever been connected to more than 3V3 (not counting the 5V pins obviously)?
She who travels light — forgot something.

shrewdgamer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:57 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:07 pm
please don't double post, second copy will be delete...
I wasn't aware of the double post.
I have:

shrewdgamer

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 am

Paeryn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 am
shrewdgamer wrote:

If you are getting a -110 error then it's more serious than an inconsistant file system, it sounds like it's having problems talking to the card. If the RPi is overheating and crashing then it sounds like the SD card or even the RPi may be damaged, have you tried with a new SD card? If the same problems still happen then you might be needing a new RPi. Have the GPIO pins ever been connected to more than 3V3 (not counting the 5V pins obviously)?
I don't have a new card, the amount of times I had to take it out and insert it, it has developed holes on the budge.

I formatted the card and copied the latest NOOBs onto it. It is showing the Raspberry Pi logo on a white background with the message "hold shift for recovery mode" after a minute or so, I'm shown an error message that "NOOBs files are not found". How do I resolve this? What could be causing this? I thought it will give me an installer and I can select OSs I want to install.

Till now I have not connected anything to GPIO.

Is it normal Raspberry Pi to heat up, how can I resolve this, can I use a different case, or install a fan.
I have:

Return to “Troubleshooting”