Trainer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:40 pm

Hello,

I try to update my rpi3b+ firmware, kernel and kernel modules but i got some error message.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo rpi-update 152b6b8
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.14.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=197689
##############################################################
 *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   168    0   168    0     0    365      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   365
100 58.2M    0 58.2M    0     0  1666k      0 --:--:--  0:00:35 --:--:-- 1702k
 *** Updating firmware
*** As requested, not updating kernel
 *** As requested, not updating kernel modules
 *** Updating VideoCore libraries
 *** Using HardFP libraries
 *** Updating SDK
 *** Running ldconfig
 *** Storing current firmware revision
 *** Deleting downloaded files
 *** Syncing changes to disk
 *** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to 152b6b858d2f6b94fa398fa4545d5e130ab24434
 *** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.


*** As requested, not updating kernel
*** As requested, not updating kernel modules


How can i solve the problem?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19484
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Trainer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:40 pm
Hello,

I try to update my rpi3b+ firmware, kernel and kernel modules but i got some error message.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo rpi-update 152b6b8
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.14.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=197689
##############################################################
 *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   168    0   168    0     0    365      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   365
100 58.2M    0 58.2M    0     0  1666k      0 --:--:--  0:00:35 --:--:-- 1702k
 *** Updating firmware
*** As requested, not updating kernel
 *** As requested, not updating kernel modules
 *** Updating VideoCore libraries
 *** Using HardFP libraries
 *** Updating SDK
 *** Running ldconfig
 *** Storing current firmware revision
 *** Deleting downloaded files
 *** Syncing changes to disk
 *** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to 152b6b858d2f6b94fa398fa4545d5e130ab24434
 *** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.


*** As requested, not updating kernel
*** As requested, not updating kernel modules


How can i solve the problem?

Why are you running rpi-update it is not recommended:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Trainer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 pm
Trainer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:40 pm
Hello,

I try to update my rpi3b+ firmware, kernel and kernel modules but i got some error message.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo rpi-update 152b6b8
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.14.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=197689
##############################################################
 *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   168    0   168    0     0    365      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   365
100 58.2M    0 58.2M    0     0  1666k      0 --:--:--  0:00:35 --:--:-- 1702k
 *** Updating firmware
*** As requested, not updating kernel
 *** As requested, not updating kernel modules
 *** Updating VideoCore libraries
 *** Using HardFP libraries
 *** Updating SDK
 *** Running ldconfig
 *** Storing current firmware revision
 *** Deleting downloaded files
 *** Syncing changes to disk
 *** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to 152b6b858d2f6b94fa398fa4545d5e130ab24434
 *** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.


*** As requested, not updating kernel
*** As requested, not updating kernel modules


How can i solve the problem?

Why are you running rpi-update it is not recommended:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

I found it at some different sources.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2202
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:36 pm

rpi-update is for experimental features that might break everything.

Only use it if you know what it does, and why you need it.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19484
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:20 am

Trainer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:15 pm
Trainer wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:40 pm
Hello,

I try to update my rpi3b+ firmware, kernel and kernel modules but i got some error message.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ sudo rpi-update 152b6b8
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
 *** Performing self-update
 *** Relaunching after update
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.
 *** Raspberry Pi firmware updater by Hexxeh, enhanced by AndrewS and Dom
#############################################################
This update bumps to rpi-4.14.y linux tree
Be aware there could be compatibility issues with some drivers
Discussion here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=197689
##############################################################
 *** Downloading specific firmware revision (this will take a few minutes)
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   168    0   168    0     0    365      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   365
100 58.2M    0 58.2M    0     0  1666k      0 --:--:--  0:00:35 --:--:-- 1702k
 *** Updating firmware
*** As requested, not updating kernel
 *** As requested, not updating kernel modules
 *** Updating VideoCore libraries
 *** Using HardFP libraries
 *** Updating SDK
 *** Running ldconfig
 *** Storing current firmware revision
 *** Deleting downloaded files
 *** Syncing changes to disk
 *** If no errors appeared, your firmware was successfully updated to 152b6b858d2f6b94fa398fa4545d5e130ab24434
 *** A reboot is needed to activate the new firmware
You appear to be using a custom kernel file.
Skipping installation of new kernel, as bundled dtb files may be incompatible with your kernel.


*** As requested, not updating kernel
*** As requested, not updating kernel modules


How can i solve the problem?

Why are you running rpi-update it is not recommended:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... pdating.md

I found it at some different sources.

It is over 3 years since rpi-update was recommended, you should be careful about reading obsolete information. If using Google you can configure search to limit to past 6 months.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22047
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:46 am

To get the latesst stable firmware (assuming a fairly recent Raspbian install in the first place)

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Trainer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm

Thank you.

I also have the problem that i don't have any /build folder in /lib/modules/4.14.72v7-aufs.
So i got a error message if i try "make".

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~/ttyebus $ sudo make install
cp ttyebus.ko /lib/modules/4.14.72v7-aufs/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/ttyebus.ko
depmod -a
insmod /lib/modules/4.14.72v7-aufs/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/ttyebus.ko
insmod: ERROR: could not insert module /lib/modules/4.14.72v7-aufs/kernel/drivers/tty/serial/ttyebus.ko: Invalid module format
Makefile:37: recipe for target 'install' failed
make: *** [install] Error 1
I also have a problem with insmod. How can i solve it?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22047
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 pm

I have no idea why that folder has aufs on the end, you must be using a custom built kernel.

In which case, I have no idea how to help you, except to say reflashing your SD crd with the latest Raspbian is probably the easiet way to a working system.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MrEngman
Posts: 3805
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:57 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I have no idea why that folder has aufs on the end, you must be using a custom built kernel.

In which case, I have no idea how to help you, except to say reflashing your SD crd with the latest Raspbian is probably the easiet way to a working system.
Could be Berryboot.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Trainer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm

jamesh wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I have no idea why that folder has aufs on the end, you must be using a custom built kernel.

In which case, I have no idea how to help you, except to say reflashing your SD crd with the latest Raspbian is probably the easiet way to a working system.
i try another raspbian installation with the same Problem

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -r
4.14.83v7-aufs
Do you know how to solve it ?

Is it perhaps a problem because i use berryboot?

MrEngman
Posts: 3805
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm
jamesh wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I have no idea why that folder has aufs on the end, you must be using a custom built kernel.

In which case, I have no idea how to help you, except to say reflashing your SD crd with the latest Raspbian is probably the easiet way to a working system.
i try another raspbian installation with the same Problem

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -r
4.14.83v7-aufs
Do you know how to solve it ?

Is it perhaps a problem because i use berryboot?
Yes, because BerryBoot uses it's own kernel images/modules for it's raspbian images. You cannot install updates from RPI Raspbian using apt update/upgrade.

Just reflash your SD Card with a Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and it should fix your problems.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Trainer
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 pm

MrEngman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm
jamesh wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:52 pm
I have no idea why that folder has aufs on the end, you must be using a custom built kernel.

In which case, I have no idea how to help you, except to say reflashing your SD crd with the latest Raspbian is probably the easiet way to a working system.
i try another raspbian installation with the same Problem

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -r
4.14.83v7-aufs
Do you know how to solve it ?

Is it perhaps a problem because i use berryboot?
Yes, because BerryBoot uses it's own kernel images/modules for it's raspbian images. You cannot install updates from RPI Raspbian using apt update/upgrade.

Just reflash your SD Card with a Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and it should fix your problems.
ok, damn, i like to use berryboot :( can i use noobs or does it have the same problem?

MrEngman
Posts: 3805
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 pm
MrEngman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm


i try another raspbian installation with the same Problem

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -r
4.14.83v7-aufs
Do you know how to solve it ?

Is it perhaps a problem because i use berryboot?
Yes, because BerryBoot uses it's own kernel images/modules for it's raspbian images. You cannot install updates from RPI Raspbian using apt update/upgrade.

Just reflash your SD Card with a Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and it should fix your problems.
ok, damn, i like to use berryboot :( can i use noobs or does it have the same problem?
Using NOOBS to install Raspbian will allow you to update Raspbian as you require using apt-get.

Since you prefer to use BerryBoot, but then ask about changing to NOOBS are you installing multiple images on your SD card? If not then just install Raspbian.

Using NOOBS to only install Raspbian can waste significant space. NOOBS is essentially just an installer and can waste several GB of space on the SD card. If you are only installing Raspbian ignore NOOBS and just install the Raspbian image you want to use.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2202
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm

NOOBS has also been known to cause extreme confusion for newbies when it comes to updating or switching to a newer Raspberry Pi model.
NOOBS has been continually requested to be removed from the recommended downloads, but RPF seem reluctant to comment on it.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19484
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm

Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:47 pm
MrEngman wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Trainer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:08 pm


i try another raspbian installation with the same Problem

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ uname -r
4.14.83v7-aufs
Do you know how to solve it ?

Is it perhaps a problem because i use berryboot?
Yes, because BerryBoot uses it's own kernel images/modules for it's raspbian images. You cannot install updates from RPI Raspbian using apt update/upgrade.

Just reflash your SD Card with a Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and it should fix your problems.
ok, damn, i like to use berryboot :( can i use noobs or does it have the same problem?

BerryBoot is useful if you want multiple Operating Systems sharing a common kernel / firmware, though updating of Operating Systems can be problematical if one does not understand the way BB works.


NoobS / PiNN do allow multiple Operating Systems but each is reasonably independent, PiNN has more flexibility than NoobS.

The downside is it takes up hard drive space, whilst the partition scheme is weird.


I wholeheartedly believe that NoobS / BerryBoot / PiNN should be for more experienced users.


Etcher is very robust software with which to create a bootable SD Card and with the price of SD Cards makes one Operating System per SD Card a non issue:

https://www.balena.io/etcher/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 22047
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm
NOOBS has also been known to cause extreme confusion for newbies when it comes to updating or switching to a newer Raspberry Pi model.
NOOBS has been continually requested to be removed from the recommended downloads, but RPF seem reluctant to comment on it.
I did suggest that we no longer recommend Noobs, but those that must be obeyed disagreed, I cannot remember why.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19484
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RPI3B+ firmware update problem

Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:11 am

jamesh wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:04 pm
NOOBS has also been known to cause extreme confusion for newbies when it comes to updating or switching to a newer Raspberry Pi model.
NOOBS has been continually requested to be removed from the recommended downloads, but RPF seem reluctant to comment on it.
I did suggest that we no longer recommend Noobs, but those that must be obeyed disagreed, I cannot remember why.

We will just have to keep advising to use Etcher and one OS per SD Card for newbies ;)
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Return to “Troubleshooting”