Natebeags

Where is eth0?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:19 am

I just received my new 512MB Raspberry Pi. I am using the Raspbian Wheezy (hard-float) image. I can't get networking to work. eth0 does not exist. In fact there are is no /dev/eth*. Where is my network adapter? I'm using an Adafruit TTL-USB adapter for my terminal. I have also plugged in a second USB cable from my PC to the power port in case this is a power problem. Any help you can give me to get networking to work will be greatly appreciated!

redhawk

Re: Where is eth0?

Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:17 am

Could you post your results for:lsusb ??

Richard S.

thsBavR10

Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:32 am

did you look for this

Code: Select all

ifconfig
?
My Pi also does not have /dev/eth*, but there is

/sys/devices/platform/bcm2708_usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.0/net/eth0

Natebeags

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Here is the result of lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
ifconfig only lists lo.

This is the result of sudo ifup eth0:

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.2.2
Copyright 2004-2011 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Cannot find device "eth0"
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0.

thsBavR10

Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm

please test this also:

dmesg |grep eth0
My Pi says:

smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0: eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.1, smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet, xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Natebeags

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:42 pm

Nothing from dmesg:

[email protected]:~$ dmesg | grep eth0
[email protected]:~$

Dweeber

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:00 pm

What is the contents of /etc/network/interfaces
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

thsBavR10

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 pm

can you please look at the result of

dmesg |grep 'usb 1-1.1'
?
These lines are preceding the eth0-line:

usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 3 using dwc_otg
usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=0424, idProduct=ec00
usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
(i deleted the timestamps)

Natebeags

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:56 am

Thank you, everybody, for your help. Here are the contents of /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp
dmesg |grep 'usb 1-1.1' yields no results.
I do have these results, though:

[email protected]:~$ dmesg | grep USB
[    1.716000] dwc_otg bcm2708_usb: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
[    1.745159] usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b, idProduct=0002
[    1.754325] usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=1
[    1.786579] hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
[    1.807486] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[    1.822959] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[    1.918679] usbhid: USB HID core driver

redhawk

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:14 am

On your PI there is a black IC located just behind the USB ports this is the LAN chip.

When you PI has been active for 10 minutes or so does this IC feel cold, warm or hot??

Richard S.

Natebeags

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 am

The LAN chip didn't feel too warm. I measured it with a infrared thermometer. It is at 32 degrees C. By contrast, the microprocessor is 36 degrees. Other portions of the board are around 32 degrees.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:39 am

Its not just a LAN chip, its a three port hub, with an USB to ethernet adapter internally connected to one of the hub ports, and the other two ports routed out. So all USB communication runs through this chip, thus if USB devices are working the "LAN chip" is also working. But what activity do the ethernet LED's, (directly connected to the LAN9512 chip) give when you plug in an ethernet cable into the PI, do any of the LED's light up?

Look into the ethernet ports, are all gold plated contact wires straight? no bent or otherwise crooked pins?

Natebeags

Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 am

No LEDs when I plug in an Ethernet cable. Pins are OK. Now that I think of it I'm not so sure USB is working. I'm using the terminal interface on the board. I tried hooking up to a TV and using a USB keyboard once. The keyboard did not work. I thought there might be a problem with the keyboard. So no working USB and no Ethernet. Bad board?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:57 pm

No working USB and Ethernet = not working LAN9512 chip!
Sometimes (often) its just that the crystal of the chip doesn't start, because of a bad solder joint.
But if you don't want to muck with it I would just return it.

CargoCult

Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:26 am

(Kind of raising this thread from the dead, but it was the first one I found when Googling - perhaps others might find it?)

Anyhow, I was suffering similar problems on a Pi that had been swapped with another Pi - while it seemed to start just fine, eth0 was missing. But in my case, LEDs were switching on, USB worked...

Turned out eth0 was getting renamed to eth1 - to stop that, this was really useful:

http://blog.giuseppeurso.net/udev-renam ... index.html

Hope that helps any hapless persons who might also arrive here!

marlar

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 am

CargoCult wrote:Hope that helps any hapless persons who might also arrive here!
It certainly helped me! I was frustrated that eth0 was gone. There was only the lo device and thus no internet connection. And it happended exactly after swapping Raspis (using the same SD card).

The original link is broken, but it can be see on the internet archive here.

Basically, just delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. Problem gone!

ilovemipi

Thu May 22, 2014 6:54 pm

marlar wrote:
CargoCult wrote:Hope that helps any hapless persons who might also arrive here!
It certainly helped me! I was frustrated that eth0 was gone. There was only the lo device and thus no internet connection. And it happended exactly after swapping Raspis (using the same SD card).

The original link is broken, but it can be see on the internet archive here.

Basically, just delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot. Problem gone!
You are my hero, thanks. Spent 2 or 3 days testing 6 Pi's (just one working). Swapped PSU's, routers, ethernet cables the lot.
Turns out if somehow you have the udev entry when you image the SD card then the 'cloning' will fail unless you remove the 70-persistent BEFORE imaging.

MrEngman

Thu May 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Edit file /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules and change line 20, "device name whitelist", to this

# device name whitelist
KERNEL!="ath*|msh*|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", \
                                        GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"
This will stop /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules being generated for eth* and wlan* devices.

This is what it is like in current kernel images, Raspbian at least, and has been for a long time, a year maybe more. Whether changing it in your image will cause any different problems I don't know.

You must be using a pretty ancient image. What is it?

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

ilovemipi

Thu May 22, 2014 8:20 pm

MrEngman wrote:Edit file /lib/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules and change line 20, "device name whitelist", to this

# device name whitelist
KERNEL!="ath*|msh*|ra*|sta*|ctc*|lcs*|hsi*", \
                                        GOTO="persistent_net_generator_end"
This will stop /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules being generated for eth* and wlan* devices.

This is what it is like in current kernel images, Raspbian at least, and has been for a long time, a year maybe more. Whether changing it in your image will cause any different problems I don't know.

You must be using a pretty ancient image. What is it?

MrEngman
The image is a bespoke xbmc kernel from December 2013. I have now edited the generator.rules, thanks.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu May 22, 2014 11:31 pm

MrEngman wrote:You must be using a pretty ancient image.
Or just an image that isn't raspberry pi foundation derived.

When you have more than one device of a given type then if the kernel is left to it's own devices they can change IDs when the kernel is upgraded, when hardware is changed or sometimes even swap arround on different boots with the same configuration depending on which one the kernel detects first. This has become more of a problem as buses like USB that are highly dynamic in nature have become more and more common.

To get around this Debian introduced udev rules that fixed the name of network devices based on their mac address. This is great at keeping device names stable in systems that have multiple identical ethernet adaptors. Not so great if you want to clone a system or if you have a network controller with an unstable MAC address.

The raspberry pi foundation made the change you mention on their images which completely disables the functionality for ethernet and wifi devices thereby helping users who want to clone SD cards but causing problems for those who want to run multiple ethernet adaptors.

Another option (which I took on the images I built) is to edit the rule in 70-persistent-net.rules to match on something other than MAC address. For example by putting the rule

SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="smsc95xx", ATTR{address}=="*", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

You can make it so that the SMSC device on the Pi is always recognised as eth0 but you can still use non-smsc devices with mac address based names.

Return to “Troubleshooting”