Kris191

64 bit and ARM

Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:50 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and ive run into a problem, firstly i'm pretty confident there is no workaround but, i'm no expert so i wanted to get some other input before i make my final decision.

I bought a Pi3 to setup and secure environment for me to install cryptocurrency wallets, upon trying to install i realized that all desktop wallets required 64 bit OS. After some searching i found that Gentoo has a working 64 Bit OS. However when trying to execute the AppImage file nothing happens.

I'm aware that ARM binary may be the problem, however i would like to ask if a workaround is possible? is it a hardware problem or a software problem? My only other option to use a old PC and run Linux on it however i liked the idea of a small form factor PC like the PI.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: 64 bit and ARM

Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:12 pm

Kris191 wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new here and ive run into a problem, firstly i'm pretty confident there is no workaround but, i'm no expert so i wanted to get some other input before i make my final decision.

I bought a Pi3 to setup and secure environment for me to install cryptocurrency wallets, upon trying to install i realized that all desktop wallets required 64 bit OS. After some searching i found that Gentoo has a working 64 Bit OS. However when trying to execute the AppImage file nothing happens.

I'm aware that ARM binary may be the problem, however i would like to ask if a workaround is possible? is it a hardware problem or a software problem? My only other option to use a old PC and run Linux on it however i liked the idea of a small form factor PC like the PI.

Thanks

First and foremost though your software states 64bit, it usually refers to x86-64 CPU Architecture.

The Raspberry Pi 3 can run either ARM32 or ARM64 Operating System as it has ARM CPU Architecture.

There are many Crypto guides, such as:

https://www.electromaker.io/tutorial/bl ... ncy-wallet
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

mfa298

Re: 64 bit and ARM

Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:20 pm

Kris191 wrote:
Very few Crypto Currencies provide ARM binaries so they won't work directly on a Pi. However most are opensource projects so the source code should be available, this means you can compile the wallet yourself for the Pi (any instructions for building the code on Ubuntu/Debian would probably be close to what you need to do).

Return to “Troubleshooting”