Max_G

Copy SD card to SDD? Etcher?

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:33 am

I have set-up a rPi 3 installed and configured some software on it.
I now want to use this set-up on a rPi3B+ with a SSD.

I have checked that the 3B+ accepts the SSD by using Etcher to put Stretch on the SSD, and connecting the SSD to the rPi3B+ and it boots of it.

I now want to copy the SD card to the SSD, and was wondering how best to achieve this.

a) can I use Etcher to make an image of the SD card and then write it onto the SSD?
b) stick the SD card into the rPi3B+ and copy the contents to the SSD, thus overwriting the new image I just booted from?
c) redo the work I did on the SD card and the rPi3, by reinstalling all software onto the new hardware.

Any hints appreciated.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Copy SD card to SDD? Etcher?

Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:45 am

Max_G wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:33 am
I have set-up a rPi 3 installed and configured some software on it.
I now want to use this set-up on a rPi3B+ with a SSD.

I have checked that the 3B+ accepts the SSD by using Etcher to put Stretch on the SSD, and connecting the SSD to the rPi3B+ and it boots of it.

I now want to copy the SD card to the SSD, and was wondering how best to achieve this.

a) can I use Etcher to make an image of the SD card and then write it onto the SSD?
b) stick the SD card into the rPi3B+ and copy the contents to the SSD, thus overwriting the new image I just booted from?
c) redo the work I did on the SD card and the rPi3, by reinstalling all software onto the new hardware.

Any hints appreciated.

Raspbian Stretch includes SD Card Copier for this scenario..
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Max_G

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Well, had to search a bit for the copier... and found it here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/

However, I only have Stretch Lite installations, and the copier is part of the desktop so it seems.

Maybe I try option b) of my initial post and see what happens. :)

fruitoftheloom

Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:12 pm

Max_G wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:02 pm
Well, had to search a bit for the copier... and found it here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... -raspbian/

However, I only have Stretch Lite installations, and the copier is part of the desktop so it seems.

Maybe I try option b) of my initial post and see what happens. :)

https://github.com/raspberrypi-ui/piclone
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Max_G

Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks...
What I ended up doing, (for the benefit of others)...

Used DiskImager on Windows to read the SD card to an image, and then wrote this image to the SSD.
Plug SSD into rPi3B+... all working!

Happy New Year :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”