sanfx

Flashing currently installed raspbian from memory card to SSD with SD Card copier doesnt work

Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 am

I bought 120GB Wester Digital SSD thinking I will clone Raspbian Jessie from memory card to it. but every time I tried It will do something that my newly bough SSD wasn't initialising. but when I plugged to my mac book , mac os will detect with a message saying Hard disk is not initialised. So I will use Disk Utility on my mac to reformat and I am back to formatted SSD.

instead of connecting SSD directly USB , I also tried using dock that has its own power supply. all other HDD works but SSD kept giving same issue when attempting to flash using SSD.

I noticed my SSD requires 5v 1A but raspberry pi USB out put is 4.9 v ..

Can anyone suggest me any alternative to SD Card copier to clone the memory card to SSD ?

or suggest me a way to migrate mysql/ docker / plex from raspbian on microsdcard to new raspbian Image I can flash using etcher .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

RonR

Re: Flashing currently installed raspbian from memory card to SSD with SD Card copier doesnt work

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:23 pm

sanfx wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:57 am
Can anyone suggest me any alternative to SD Card copier to clone the memory card to SSD ?
This will allow you to copy your running SD card to a USB device. When you reboot, you will be running from the USB device using all of its space:

Running Raspbian on USB Devices : Made Easy

Return to “Troubleshooting”