jbernardo

Pi Zero W not working with some networks (Orbi)

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:01 am

Hello,
I just got a pi zero w (have some 2, 3, B and even a A) and I can't connect to my netgear ORBI mesh network with the internal wifi. With the original dongle I have no issues, the zero w connects during boot and works quite well. All the PI 3 all connect with no issues, as do all the older ones, each with its own dongle.
I thought I had a defective zero w, but it connects easily to a netgear R7000 using the internal wifi. My problem is that the R7000 only covers a small part of the house (thick brick+cement walls and floors), so I really need to use the ORBI network.
The strangest thing is that sometimes it seems to connect (if I leave it running for several hours), shows as connected on the router, has IP address, etc, but can't even ping the router.
Before upgrading to stretch, running wpa_cli I'd see that it was getting "ctrl-event-assoc-reject status code 16", after upgrading to stretch even if I set log_level=debug in wpa_cli I get only the scan events, nothing else, and no association. I tried a completely "virgin" stretch image (both basic and full), thinking I had messed up something, but it keeps failing with the internal wifi.
My (edited) wpa_suplicant.conf:

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=BE

network={
	ssid="R7000"
	psk="xxxxxxxxxxxx"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}

network={
	ssid="ORBI"
	psk="xxxxxxxxxxxx"
}
Any idea on what to try now?
Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.

Return to “Troubleshooting”