tonyawad88

Raspberry Pi Zero W - No longer turning ON

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Hello,

I just bought a Raspberry Pi Zero W a couple weeks ago from Buyapi.ca and all of a sudden I noticed the Pi stopped working and it no longer turns on. I removed the SD card from it and tried it in another RPi Zero W that I have and it worked perfectly fine.

I am using it in my car so it has been going through negative temperatures of about -5C. I connect the Pi to the car charging outlet to power it on. The outlet pumps out 5V (most likely). I am curious if anyone has run into the issue of a Pi burning from connecting it to the car's power outlet?
The power outlet has 2 USB inputs, it ran for a week fine on one input but then I believe when I switched it to the other USB input it stopped turning on.

I tried it with a normal power bank and same it seems like it's dead.

What is weird, is that I have a HAT connected to the Pi, the HAT's power LED turns on as if it received power from the Pi however the Pi itself doesn't turn on, and the Pi's LED doesn't turn green.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to troubleshoot?
Thank you,
Tony

tonyawad88

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W - No longer turning ON

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:24 am

I just noticed that the RPi Zero W got so hot in -5C temperature (inside the car) that it melted the enclosure that it was housed in. What can cause such an overheat? My main assumption is the USB power input in the car pushed a higher voltage through the RPi Zero, drove the CPU to overheat and melt through the casing.

Does it have an internal safety shutdown feature when it detects higher voltage or most likely the board is toast?

Thank you!
Tony

W. H. Heydt

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W - No longer turning ON

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:59 am

tonyawad88 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:24 am
I just noticed that the RPi Zero W got so hot in -5C temperature (inside the car) that it melted the enclosure that it was housed in. What can cause such an overheat? My main assumption is the USB power input in the car pushed a higher voltage through the RPi Zero, drove the CPU to overheat and melt through the casing.

Does it have an internal safety shutdown feature when it detects higher voltage or most likely the board is toast?

Thank you!
Tony
The SoC has internal thermal safety, the board itself has no protection to over-voltage, so it's pretty easy to blow up a Pi0/Pi0W.

Return to “Troubleshooting”