Lonnie Risckle

VNC connection delay on RasPi 3A+

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:20 pm

I've downloaded a fresh Raspbian image and built a system on my lovely new RasPi 3A+.

When I try to connect with VNC from my MacBook Pro I get the message: 'The connection was refused by the computer' for about ten minutes, after which the connection is accepted and everything else seems OK.

Investigating further, I find that I can avoid the delay if I plug in my USB hub and either a mouse or a keyboard (all are USB 1).

The thing is, though, that if I put the same card into either a 3B+ or a ZeroW there is no connection issue - VNC connects as soon as the OS has finished booting.

I'm starting to suspect that the fault lies in the board rather than a configuration error but, for what it's worth, what I've done is :

Loaded 2018-11-13-stretch-full.img from raspberry.org.uk

Set up Wifi as part of the installation

Enabled SSH, VNC
Reset pi account password

Set new computer name

Copied wallpaper pictures to /pi/pictures and set one up

Updated/upgraded with apt-get

Edited /boot/config.txt - uncommented following lines and changed framebuffer_height to 700:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_drive=2
framebuffer_width=1280
framebuffer_height=700

Installed FORTRAN and speedtest

sudo apt-get install gfortran

sudo apt-get install python-pip
sudo pip install speedtest-cli

Backed up!

blaitero

Re: VNC connection delay on RasPi 3A+

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:51 pm

Exactly the same problem here. Have you had any luck sorting this out?
Thanks

coreygreenberg

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Add me to the list. I tried installing both Lite and Full versions of Stretch Desktop but the issue of delayed VNC Server launching was the same in both cases. As reported, the only "fix" is to have a USB peripheral plugged in, then VNC Server runs right away. Without anything plugged into the USB port, it takes around 10 minutes for VNC Server to finally auto-run. Never had this issue on any of my Pi 3 B+s.

I've been Googling this all day, really hope someone finds a solution. If I do I'll be sure to share it here.

sconemad

Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:53 am

coreygreenberg

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Thank you for finding a fix so quickly. I can confirm that this does indeed enable VNC Server to start immediately after boot, and the fix remains even after multiple reboots. Bravo all.

Return to “Troubleshooting”