itsmee

VNC errors in characters sent?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:06 pm

Not sure how to describe this..

Raspberry Pi's accessable by tightVNC, SSH and locally. One an RPi3plus, one an RPi3A. and other Pi's too.

This happens between Pi's , running TightVNC, and also when connecting with Windoze box also running tightVNC.
All Pi's have Locales set to UK utf8 with UK keyboards.

On some programs I can enter text via VNC and I get corruption of characters, like the keyboard layout is screwed.
Trying to type FRED results in HGVF being displayed both locally and on the remote box.
But if I SSH into the same box there is no corruption, and if I go in locally there is no corruption.
If I remotely use the keyboard test routine in 'Preferences>Mouse and keyboard settings>Keyboard' there is no corruption.

Specifically the program I am currently seeing this on is WSJTX_1.9.1_armhf.deb.
( https://sourceforge.net/projects/wsjt/f ... b/download)
Previously I have seen this corruption happening on Orange Pi Zero's running Armbian, but never before on raspbian distros prior to the 2018-11-13 release.

I have also discovered that RealVNC when enabled from 'Preferences>Raspberry Pi Configuration' remains enabled for the session and then reverts to not enabled after rebooting. Its a bit annoying when running a headless machine

This has only started since upgrading to Raspbian-stretch 2018-11-13.

It seems that every new raspbian release throws up new issues to previously running software...

any help, ideas appreciated. thanks, Mike

sconemad

Re: VNC errors in characters sent?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:14 am

itsmee wrote:
On some programs I can enter text via VNC and I get corruption of characters, like the keyboard layout is screwed.
Trying to type FRED results in HGVF being displayed both locally and on the remote box.
But if I SSH into the same box there is no corruption, and if I go in locally there is no corruption.
If I remotely use the keyboard test routine in 'Preferences>Mouse and keyboard settings>Keyboard' there is no corruption.
Does the text appear ok when you're tying into other programs (e.g. a Terminal)?
Are you running TightVNC or RealVNC server here? If you're running RealVNC, then you might want to try the "experimental direct capture mode" (found in RealVNC server options > Troublehooting). This uses an alternative method of injecting keyboard input remotely, which might make a difference.
itsmee wrote:
I have also discovered that RealVNC when enabled from 'Preferences>Raspberry Pi Configuration' remains enabled for the session and then reverts to not enabled after rebooting. Its a bit annoying when running a headless machine
I've just tried this with a fresh install of Raspbian 2018-11-13 and it appears to work ok for me. Can you check the status of the service after rebooting by doing "systemctl status vncserver-x11-serviced" please.

itsmee

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:12 am

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, some programs on the remote computer ( RPi3A ) operate correctly e.g. nano in the terminal window and the GUI text editor, Leafpad?, in windows.
I'm running TightVNC in preference to RealVNC,
RealVNC was removed after first boot.
vnc via realvnc's 'cloud' seems excessivly intrusive and convoluted.

I will rewrite a full 2018-11-13 to SD and try with that.
The PC is running TightVNC so I assumed better compatibility if TightVNC were used on the PI's .. lets see
I'll report the systemd status when realvnc is restored in the OS rewrite... L8R, Mike

itsmee

Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 pm

new sd written with 2018-11-13

edited cmdline.txt on PC to reflect mouse issues..
usbhid.mousepoll=0

access locally via monitor and keyboard

Went through entire 'welcome setup' script..
setting password, wifi, update etc

access via monitor and keyboard, not vnc

ran systemctl status vncserver-x11-serviced before enabling and it reported..
inactive (dead)

enabled ssh and
vncserver from console and ran systemctl service again ...
reported that..
Server started
found running x server.

rebooted..

ran systemctl status vncserver-x11-serviced again..
reported Service Started, cannot find running x server, found running x server

modified login to VNC password

and was able to vnc into Pi from PC running TightVNC

installed, locally, the misbehaving software wsjtx....deb

could'nt install over vnc because Authentication window did'nt get returned to VNC machine and installation hung-up.

ran locally the wsjtx program and was able to enter data.. no corruption of data.
shutdown wsjtx

vnc'd into the wsjtx computer from PC and ran the wsjtx program.. and everything now ok.

must have been corrupted sd card or image

Return to “Troubleshooting”