gordon77

no /home/pi/.config/lxsession ?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:19 am

On the latest build I tried to setup an autostart BUT the lxsession dir doesn't appear to be there, have I done something wrong ?

DirkS

Re: no /home/pi/.config/lxsession ?

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:24 am

See the 'Desktop Configuration' bit in the blog https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbi ... mber-2018/
If you want to modify the autostart then you should copy the entries in /etc/xdg/... to ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart and modify that file
The version in the home directory will be used instead of the one in /etc/xdg/...

DougieLawson

The stupid desktop update moved that to ~/oldconfig/.config/...

Move it back and it will start working.

I've no idea why the update didn't ask what I wanted or give an option to keep the file in place. It's a pile of stinking stuff to just arbitrarily break things in this way.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

DirkS

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 am

DougieLawson wrote:
The stupid desktop update moved that to ~/oldconfig/.config/...
My oldconfig was actually empty after the update...

DougieLawson

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 am

Use ls -la as .config is a hidden folder.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

gordon77

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 am

Thanks guys,

I wish they would stop fiddling with things you think you understand!! I remember when they implemented the 'correct' place to put a local config and now they have messed it up again :roll:

I am sure many people will notice when they try to do an autostart, and there are lots of entries on the web saying how to do it, which will now be wrong.

DougieLawson

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:39 am

Simon Long needs a session with my well polished educational baseball bat.

He has done this stuff too often and it's 100% unacceptable.

A software upgrade shouldn't break things unless it's a switch from Stretch to Buster when you'll be on the lookout for breakages.

If I did this for a commercial client I'd be getting a contract termination letter. If I were a regular employee I'd expect a P45 in the post.

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:36 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:39 am
Simon Long needs a session with my well polished educational baseball bat.
Dougie, comments like that are 100% unacceptable. If you want to get banned permanently, threats of violence against Pi staff, whether in jest or otherwise, are a really good way to go about it.

An apology and a retraction are in order. Now.

As I explained very clearly in the blog post, the intention of this change was to remove the ongoing necessity to change user config files in future. To achieve that, and to get around a stupid bug in lxsession whereby a local copy is always made of the global config file, files have been backed up and removed for hopefully the last time.

Your attitude towards this is not helpful.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Dougie, this is totally unacceptable. You've just made a physical threat to one of our employees (and I won't even get into how completely unreasonable the point you're trying to make is). I'm leaving your post up so people will be able to see why I have taken this step, but I'm afraid this merits a month's ban which I may decide to make permanent after discussion with the other moderators.

Thread closed.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Return to “Troubleshooting”