cabbers

Strange Win32Diskimager problem

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:41 pm

Hello all
Hopefully someone can help me-or if nothing else, someone may be helped by this.
I've been using Win32Diskimager for years, on the same Win 7 machine, to dutifully back up my work on various micro SD cards. However, recently no matter what I try, all my attempts at backing up are now failing, stopping at 63% (!) and telling me there is an Error 23: CRC check problem.

I know this app is a bit old but it did *just work*-as far as I know Etcher is only good for writing backups to cards, it wont let you read. What I have done is use good old dd

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY bs=64K conv=noerror,sync
on a random Pi I have (I have a few!) to one of the micro SD cards that fail on the Win 7 machine-and it worked! However, try to read that image from the card to my backup drive on the Win7 fails (as before) so I had to use a tool called DiskInternals Linux Reader (https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/) to copy the whole image-that worked, although slow. If I then, finally, try to write the image back to the card, that works as well-so there seems to be a problem with reading on Win32Diskimager. I have read that Windows may be locking some Volume information somewhere, does anyone have any thoughts on this/what I could try?

Is there a suitable windows alternative to Win32 for reading/cloning images of a working card ? Can anyone shed a light on where I am going wrong here? Yes, I know I could have this on a Linux machine but the Win7 box has other uses (Plex is one) with the couple of external back up drives I have attached to it.

Cheers in advance

cabs

andrum99

Re: Strange Win32Diskimager problem

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Try winimage from https://www.winimage.com. It's good old-fashioned shareware - free for 30 days. Just click "next" past the installer page that asks for a registration code, then once it's installed use the "WinImage (Administrator)" link on the desktop. Once the program launches, from the "Disk" menu choose "Creating virtual hard disk image from physical drive...". This then displays a dialog with a list of the removable physical disks attached to the machine, along with their capacity in KB. Note that unlike win32diskimager it doesn't use drive letters to identify the disk. (Which is the correct way to do it, since a physical disk can have more than one volume, each with their own drive letter, and volumes can also span physical disks).

cabbers

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Ahh cheers for the heads up-but it appears to have the same problem-just tried it on the Win7 and failed again (see below). I tried the same thing on my Macbook, running a Win7 VM image-and I got the same error.Some thing must be up in Windows-either that, or I'm jinxed!

cabs
winimage-failure.png
winimage-failure.png (24.79 KiB) Viewed 441 times

DougieLawson

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Your SDCard is end-of-life or a fake.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

cabbers

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks for the reply-all 3 of them I tried then must be fake or end of life then....

I have some new cards coming tomorrow, I will see how they perform and report back-thanks for the help so far.

cheers

cabs

Return to “Troubleshooting”