alaliberte64

Raspberry pi USB stick VNC not working

Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm

When I try to VNC into the Pi over usb (ethernet gadget) with the settings as any video tutorial would say on the newest Raspbian version, I get the screen below. What do I do?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.37 KiB) Viewed 331 times

DirkS

Re: Raspberry pi USB stick VNC not working

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 am

alaliberte64 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:31 pm
with the settings as any video tutorial would say
What exactly do they say? And please don't post a link to a random video...

BTW: do you see that dialog when in your VNC client (and which client do you use)? That would mean you're actually logged.
So what do you expect to see at this point?

alaliberte64

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:39 am

It says to edit the config and cmdline files on the SD card. I am using realVNC and this is when I am in the client. I expected to see the desktop and stuff at this point (sorry if this is an obvious mistake that I made).

DirkS

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:21 am

It says to edit the config and cmdline files on the SD card.
Well, that's very informative...

What happens when you press <alt+F4>?
That should close the dialog.

You're apparently using the Pi without a screen attached. If you want to get a higher resolution you have to change the window size.
You can do that using the Pi configuration utility (from the GUI menu) or 'sudo raspi-config' from the command line.
Alternatively you can also set also set the framebuffer width and height in config.txt.

alaliberte64

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 pm

alt+f4 does nothing... to be more specific with the changes I made, I added dtoverlay=dwc2 to config and modules-load=dwc2,g_ether after rootwait in cmdline.txt

to be clear im just trying to get rid of that box and just look at the desktop, and ive changed the resolution multiple times

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Uh why didn't you just try connecting to VNC?the tick is green so if your on your local network just VNC into it. Or try adding a VNC account and logging in VIA that
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

DirkS

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:34 pm

alaliberte64 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:55 pm
ive changed the resolution multiple times
How?

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Here it is as plainly as possible: If you need help state everything you need help on, provide information appropriately to whoever asks you for the information and state what you have done recently. Don't give half answers as we don't understand your problem.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi Zero W :) ): Https://Html.dynu.net

alaliberte64

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:40 am

ive changed the resolution through raspi-config > Advanced Options > Resolution (some thing online said to change the resolution to something besides the first one in the menu to force the hdmi output, which I did)

this IS when I vnc into the raspberry pi (not a monitor that that has been hooked up) and every tutorial just has the desktop popping up when they vnc into it after the changes I made

I have tried everything suggested so far

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:46 am

How odd. What VNC viewer are you using?

That is an informational dialog that appears when you click on the VNC icon in the system tray of the panel. It normally does not appear by default, and it shouldn't fill your screen unless your resolution is very low (or scaling is wrong).

Clicking on the menu icon on the upper right of that dialog should open the menu, and the last item should be hide.
VNCinfo.jpg
VNCinfo.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 181 times
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

alaliberte64

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:53 pm

when I press hide, the screen is just grey behind the dialogue. I am using VNC viewer with the default server installed with raspbian on the pi (and running by the command vncserver and its enabled in raspi-config)

HawaiianPi

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:58 am

Something really seems like it's messed up with your Raspbian or VNC configuration. I would recommend starting over by writing the latest Raspbian Desktop image to your USB drive with Etcher and try again.

If you want to continue to troubleshoot this, make sure the manual resolution you have set is equal to or lower than the monitor you are using to display the VNC remote session.

You should see something like this on the bottom of the VNC screen, and clicking on the icon I highlighted in red will toggle scaling.
VNCcontrols.jpg
VNCcontrols.jpg (5.21 KiB) Viewed 139 times
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”