ironman4575

Raspberry pi heating up but won’t start

Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:53 pm

A few werks ago I set up my raspberry pi under my TV set (with the cover open to prevent overheating) and setup a Plex server on it (which I ended up never using anyway). I set it up and left it on all the time while I was at home except when I slept (I turn off the main switch for the TV set and it goes off).

It ran fine for about 2 weeks and then one day I thought “maybe load some movies onto the Plex server” so I tried to access it with the ftp and I got errors that it could not be found. So I checked and I found that the pi had turned off. Funnily I had glanced at it just about 30-40 mins ago and I had seen its lights flashing and blinking as usual. Now when I touched it I found that there was some heat below the main cpu (there is a heat sink and the back of the TV set has a cooling fan for all the equipment) and so I took it out and connected it to my monitor in my room and found that it starts to heat up a lot near the power input micro usb but it’s otherwise lifeless... as in nothing else turns on not even a light. So I read up and I heard the fuse might have blown. So I let it sit for about a week on the corner of my table waiting for the polyfuse thing to reset and I tried it again about 5 mins before I am writing this. It’s The same result with localised heat near the micro usb but no other indication of life. (And before you ask I have a stabiliser connected to my TV set and power is stable. Also I’m using a “Ubon” power cord rated for 5V/2A.)

Can I do something about it?
Do I need to send it in for repairs or is there something I’m doing wrong or what? I’m stumped.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry pi heating up but won’t start

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Try turning it on without a SD-Card (or any boot media), if the main chip (SoC) still heats up it is irreparably damaged, could be that you damaged it with an electrostatic discharge.

another possibility is that somehow the PI was exposed to more than 6V on its input, (nearby lightening strike, or bad PSU) and you managed to blow up the overvoltage protection device, which is located "near the power input".
Replacing it might repair the PI, if the SoC itself doesn't heat up, then the sacrifice the overvoltage diode did might have saved the rest of the PI.

Cant be more detailed, as you did not mention which type of PI you are talking about....

drgeoff

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:24 pm

ironman4575 wrote:
Do I need to send it in for repairs
RPis are "consumables". Repair is not commercially economic.
Last edited by drgeoff on Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfletch101

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 pm

ironman4575 wrote:
A few werks ago I set up my raspberry pi under my TV set (with the cover open to prevent overheating) and setup a Plex server on it (which I ended up never using anyway). I set it up and left it on all the time while I was at home except when I slept (I turn off the main switch for the TV set and it goes off).
This may not have caused your problem, but, for future reference, just turning off a Pi (or any other computer, for that matter) 'at the mains' without shutting it down properly first is virtually guaranteed to cause trouble. This is particularly true if you do it repeatedly. On the Pi, the trouble this usually causes is corruption of the SD card and a non-bootable system, and I would not expect the sort of symptoms you describe (which sound more like physical damage), but I wouldn't rule it out as a cause.

ironman4575

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:55 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:22 pm
Cant be more detailed, as you did not mention which type of PI you are talking about....
Rpi 3 model B

ironman4575

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I plugged it in as you said.... I can’t find any heat around the cpu but the gpu seems to be getting very warm, along with some components near the micro-usb power connector.

rpdom

Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:43 pm

ironman4575 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm
I can’t find any heat around the cpu but the gpu seems to be getting very warm
I'm not sure what you mean by that. The GPU and CPUs are in the same chip.

Return to “Troubleshooting”