lubo_raykov
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Have I burned my Pi

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Hi,

i have rawsberry Pi 3 model B - I installed it successfully once using noobs hdmi disply and combined mouse/keybord with dongle.
Evrithing worked fine until I tried to install the camera. I shut it all down with the menu, inserted the ribon cable to the camera slot and rerun the system on. the displey showed that i loaded the rawsberian but i didn't got signal form my keybord. Without stoping it i removed the dongle form the usb and inserted it back. it still didint worked. i shut down the power from the botton, but when i turn it on the diplay was saying no signal. then i removed the card and started the device without it. it was only red led. i switched it off inserted the card back and i got strange paterns on the screen. i switched it off, hard-formated the sd put agin a clean version of noobs for reinstal but the display says no signal. the fan is working and the green light is indicating 3 short and one long blink.

Is it a breakdown or there is sugestion for a fix?

After reading a lot more i tested out all polyfuses to find out that all connected to the USBs have blown.(maybe this exaplins why i didn't have keybord when i installed the camera) However in theory they shal reheal themselves in several days ... I hope? A lot of guys are shor sicuiting them. What could happen.
Last edited by lubo_raykov on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 3942
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Your first resource for boot problems is the Boot Problems Sticky.
When you have read that and tried the appropriate things, if you still have a problem you can post here with more details -- especially, is this a Pi3B or a Pi3B+, and which OS are you loading when you use NOOBS?

Better still, try Raspbian Stretch without NOOBS. Write it to your SDCard with Etcher.

Are you using a built-in SDCard device to write the card on your PC, or a USB one. Not all built-in SDCard devices are HC compliant.
Signature retired

sora03
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:11 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm

lubo_raykov wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Hi,

i have rawsberry Pi 3 model B - I installed it successfully once using noobs hdmi disply and combined mouse/keybord with dongle.
Evrithing worked fine until I tried to install the camera. I shut it all down with the menu, inserted the ribon cable to the camera slot and rerun the system on. the displey showed that i loaded the rawsberian but i didn't got signal form my keybord. Without stoping it i removed the dongle form the usb and inserted it back. it still didint worked. i shut down the power from the botton, but when i turn it on the diplay was saying no signal. then i removed the card and started the device without it. it was only red led. i switched it off inserted the card back and i got strange paterns on the screen. i switched it off, hard-formated the sd put agin a clean version of noobs for reinstal but the display says no signal. the fan is working and the green light is indicating 3 short and one long blink.

Is it a breakdown or there is sugestion for a fix?
can you post a screenshot of the `strange patterns` on the screen?
If you are going to insert or remove the ribbon cable, please make sure that the pi's power supply is unplugged to avoid potential short circuits while inserting/removing the ribbon cable.
you may want to read the rpi troubleshooting guide: https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

please try a different microSD card or try the Raspbian distro. You may want to do a checkdisk to the BOOT partition of the card. if you are using windows use CMD > CHKDSK /F X: change X to the pi's microsd drive letter. If gnu/linux use fsck, sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

lubo_raykov
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:52 pm
Your first resource for boot problems is the Boot Problems Sticky.
When you have read that and tried the appropriate things, if you still have a problem you can post here with more details -- especially, is this a Pi3B or a Pi3B+, and which OS are you loading when you use NOOBS?

Better still, try Raspbian Stretch without NOOBS. Write it to your SDCard with Etcher.

Are you using a built-in SDCard device to write the card on your PC, or a USB one. Not all built-in SDCard devices are HC compliant.
I read tons of stuff and tried evriting except the cofig file - i havent't installed agian the rawsberian again after i formated the card. Then i tried to leave the rawsbery for 3 days and reconnect it and still the same - no hdmi output.

lubo_raykov
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:04 pm

sora03 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:52 pm
lubo_raykov wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm
Hi,

i have rawsberry Pi 3 model B - I installed it successfully once using noobs hdmi disply and combined mouse/keybord with dongle.
Evrithing worked fine until I tried to install the camera. I shut it all down with the menu, inserted the ribon cable to the camera slot and rerun the system on. the displey showed that i loaded the rawsberian but i didn't got signal form my keybord. Without stoping it i removed the dongle form the usb and inserted it back. it still didint worked. i shut down the power from the botton, but when i turn it on the diplay was saying no signal. then i removed the card and started the device without it. it was only red led. i switched it off inserted the card back and i got strange paterns on the screen. i switched it off, hard-formated the sd put agin a clean version of noobs for reinstal but the display says no signal. the fan is working and the green light is indicating 3 short and one long blink.

Is it a breakdown or there is sugestion for a fix?
can you post a screenshot of the `strange patterns` on the screen?
If you are going to insert or remove the ribbon cable, please make sure that the pi's power supply is unplugged to avoid potential short circuits while inserting/removing the ribbon cable.
you may want to read the rpi troubleshooting guide: https://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting

please try a different microSD card or try the Raspbian distro. You may want to do a checkdisk to the BOOT partition of the card. if you are using windows use CMD > CHKDSK /F X: change X to the pi's microsd drive letter. If gnu/linux use fsck, sudo fsck /dev/sdb1
Not anymore sice i formated the SD card

User avatar
DarkPlatinum
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 pm
Location: Unknown
Contact: Website YouTube

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Write Raspbian onto the SD card using etcher. Put the SD card into raspberry Pi. Plug in a suitable power supply. Make sure nothing is plugged in apart from HDMI and power cable. Is it working?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4454
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Have I burned my Pi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:23 pm

lubo_raykov wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm
...
Evrithing worked fine until I tried to install the camera. I shut it all down with the menu, inserted the ribon cable to the camera slot and rerun the system on.
After you shut the system down (and before you inserted the ribbon cable) did you also unplug the power?

Or was it just shut down with power still connected?

Your Pi should always be fully powered down before adding or removing anything (other than USB, which is hot pluggable).

lubo_raykov wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 pm
... i shut down the power from the botton
What button?
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Troubleshooting”