Maikel

Strange Wifi connection issue

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi, I have a headless raspberry, who runs a VNC server and connects automatically to a SSID. I create the WAN with a mobile phone, and I have no problem creating the WAN with my phone, but if I try to create the same WAL with the same SSID with the same password it's so difficult for the raspberry to connect there.

I thought it could something about the raspberry recognizes a different MAC, but I don't think it's possible because one time it worked with the different phone.

I will try to find another phone to check if it's for the phone, but it would be stange because my telephone and the second one are the same model.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks

DirkS

Re: Strange Wifi connection issue

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:36 pm

Maikel wrote:
Hi, I have a headless raspberry, who runs a VNC server and connects automatically to a SSID. I create the WAN with a mobile phone, and I have no problem creating the WAN with my phone, but if I try to create the same WAL with the same SSID with the same password it's so difficult for the raspberry to connect there.
So where (on what device) do you create the second access point?
And are both active at the same time?

Maikel

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:40 pm

I am going to make it more clear.

I just tried to create the same WAn with another phone(same model both), and it doesn't worked. All the other devices connected withhout any problem but not the raspberry. I checked it with a LAN scanner.

Why is it not working in the raspberry?

sora03

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:51 pm

I do not get it, can you please post a screenshot?

how do you connect the Pi to the network?
networkmanager-cli?
wicd-client?
FLOSS enthusiast, Debian user (linux-libre)

wolf.z

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:35 am

Maikel wrote:
...I create the WAN with a mobile phone,...
... but if I try to create the same WAL with the same SSID with the same password it's so difficult for the raspberry to connect there...
...I checked it with a LAN scanner...
...one time it worked with the different phone....
Well, that's difficult to respond. WAN, WAL, LAN... First of all, I assume:
  • you are using both phones, old and new for creating a W-LAN (WIFI) acces point, an AP. From now I will use the term AP phone
    you connect some client phones plus the Pi to that AP phones
    the AP phones have a somehow mobile WAN connection, so you use them as wireless access point router for other phones and your Pi to access internet
What did you scan with the LAN scanner? Somehow you'd better post results of that scan. I suspect, you'll rather need a W-LAN scanner. Or was a W-LAN scanner meant?

If your Pi still connects to the old AP phone and not to the new, plus, if all other W-LAN clients connect to both, check for the W-LAN channel, both the AP phones use. There is a chance, your Pi cannot connect to the upper W-LAN channels 11,12,13 but your second AP phone establishes an access point with these channels. For android, there is an app WIFI analyzer available at no cost, that will show you all the AP's channels.

Do the following test, since your Pi might not change access point when running.

Try to connect all your client phones and the Pi to the old AP phone. Make sure, no other access point is running, especially not the new AP phone. With the WIFI analyzer, it is quite easy to check for other access points running.
Now switch off all your devices. Not w-Lan off, shut them down.
Switch on new WAN phone. Wait for the access point to establish.
Try to connect all your client phones and the Pi to the new WAN phone. MAKE SURE, no other access point is running, your Pi knows of. In other words, keep your Pi from connecting to any other access point.

Report results.

Maikel

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:07 am

Suddenly, but not surprisingly, the second phone died. Maybe I can reanimate it but it's not sure. Anyway, I will take in consideration all you said, especially the too higher channel used for the WLAN as a problem.

By the way, NEVER, both phones tried to create the same WLAN at the same time..

Thanks to all of you

Return to “Troubleshooting”