Schlendrian

Newest Kernel and / or Chromium broken

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Hello,

since nobody else seems to complain about this problem, I have now reproduced it several times to make sure, that it's not my fault.

After updating Raspbian (2018-06-27) to the latest version, Chromium Browser starts lagging and hanging after a moment while watching YouTube. It's impossible to watch videos even in 144p. Closing Chromium and reopening it, solves this problem for a short term, but then it starts again. Also copying the URL to open it in a new tab and closing the active tab solves the problems for a short term. This only happens since the latest two versions (of Chromium and / or the Kernel).

I was able to reproduce it on my 2 Raspberry Pi 3Bs and my Raspberry Pi 3B+ for several weeks now, to make sure, it's not the fault of any of my Pis.

Now I'm not really sure if it's Chromium or the Kernels fault, since the latest two versions of the Kernel are also broken.

I'm right now running a default version of Raspbian 2018-06-27 with Chromium 65.0.3325.181 and Kernel 4.14.50-v7+. None of the above mentioned problems exists in this version. That means, I can watch YouTube in 1080p without the slightest hiccup. As soon as I update, the problems start to occur.

If any of the developers reads this: Please fix the problems. They are reproducable, and you should have noticed them several months ago.

Greetings.
Last edited by Schlendrian on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topguy

Re: Newest Chromium Browser is broken (Memory Leak?)

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 pm

As soon as I update, the problems start to occur.
Did you try to upgrade just Chromium or the kernel and not both ?
If there is an actual memoryleak you should be able to see that by running "top" or "htop" in a terminal (via ssh from another computer maybe ).

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Schlendrian wrote: If any of the developers reads this: Please fix the problems. They are reproducable, and you should have noticed them several months ago.
Not only should we have noticed it, but the forum, github and our inboxes should be flooding with other users reporting the issue as well.
Schlendrian wrote: After updating Raspbian (2018-06-27) to the latest version, Chromium Browser starts lagging and hanging after a moment while watching YouTube.
How long is a moment?

Just played a few 1080p videos off youtube without any problems.

How much GPU RAM do you have allocated? What does 'free -h' say before and after it starts lagging?

Schlendrian

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:19 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:37 pm

Not only should we have noticed it, but the forum, github and our inboxes should be flooding with other users reporting the issue as well.
I seriously doubt it. The second latest Kernel version was absolutely broken, and the only person complaining about all the problems was someone on a German forum.

How long is a moment?
Maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Sometimes it takes only a few seconds. It varies.

Just played a few 1080p videos off youtube without any problems.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe that.

Did you let the videos run in fullscreen?

Also try something: Let a video run in fullscreen, pause it, let it be idle for atleast 10 minutes (disable Screensaver with xscreensaver; or just let the Screensaver kick in, since it has the same effect), then start playing it again. It will be choppy, laggy and showing YouTube's loading circle for no reason.

And to push this a little further: Press the Escape key to exit fullscreen while the video is playing. Chromium will freeze and GPU Memory will run full. Then close Chromium and watch it disappearing line for line from your screen until the GPU Memory is free again (why is that even happening?).

How much GPU RAM do you have allocated? What does 'free -h' say before and after it starts lagging?
Always 64 MB, since allocating more RAM doesn't change anything. "free -h" shows enough free memory, but starts swapping 6 MB for some reason. I deleted the swap file and disabled swapping, but it also didn't change anything.

ShiftPlusOne

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Schlendrian wrote:I seriously doubt it.
Schlendrian wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't believe that.
If we start with the premise that I'm a compulsive liar, I can't help you.

If somebody else is experiencing this issue, please try bumping gpu_mem up to 256 and report back. 128 should be enough, but let's try 256 anyway.

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:52 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:43 pm

If we start with the premise that I'm a compulsive liar, I can't help you.
I didn't call you a liar nor a "compulsive" liar. Please, stop ripping things out of context and playing the "you hurt my feelings"-card.

You didn't answer my question, if you let them run in fullscreen. And I also asked you do test out something.

PS: Let this video run in fullscreen at 1080p (disable 60fps) with a 1080p desktop resolution (don't cheat by lowering the Pi's resolution to 720p) and tell me again, that it doesn't stutter, hang and lag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBJ9sdp45M

I'm running this on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

PPS: Allocated 256 MB of GPU Memory now, and as I said: It has absolutely no effect on how the video plays (a developer should know that and know how the system works; I wonder, how you aren't aware of these facts). The only side-effect is, that the Pi starts freezing randomly.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am

It's not about feelings, it's about basic communication skills. If you just reply with 'nuh-uh' and take unnecessary jabs, nobody is going to want to help you with your problem.

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:51 am
It's not about feelings, it's about basic communication skills. If you just reply with 'nuh-uh' and take unnecessary jabs, nobody is going to want to help you with your problem.
Ok...

1. You're ignoring my questions and not following my instructions.

2. You're trying to manipulate this conversation to fit your made-up code of conduct, instead of focusing on the real problems.

3. While there is tons of proof even on YouTube that show all these problems, you come along and tell me: No, they don't exist.

So, let's come to a conclusion: Either you have a Magic Pi that can handle everything without any problems and everybody else's Pi is a broken mess, or you're just not telling the truth.

I've tested it on 3 Raspberry Pis with 4 different SD-Cards and different configurations, and it's always the same problem.

PS: Just updated again (downloaded all 106 available updates... why isn't there a whole new Raspbian version yet?!) to all the newest versions and let this video run in 480p, 720p and 1080p: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBJ9sdp45M

480p - result: It stutters every few seconds.

720p - result: It stutters, is choppy and lags.

1080p - result: It runs at 5fps and stops every 2 seconds while showing YouTube's white loading circle.

I let YouTube's website load and also buffer the video until it stopped buffering, to make absolutely sure, that it's not a network problem.

I also let it run with 64 MB, 80 MB, 128 MB and 256 MB of GPU Memory. It's always exactly the same result.

Another problem: Loading up YouTube takes 39 seconds now. It took barely 10 seconds with the old version of Chromium.

And yet another problem I just observed: The new Raspbian version always shows "WiFi disabled - country not set", no matter which country I set. It won't save the options, but it'll stay connected to the network anyways.

So, whoever claims these problems don't exist, is definitely not telling the truth. They are 100% reproducable and they happen every single time.
Last edited by Schlendrian on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SurferTim

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:52 pm

AFAIK, the newest Chromium browser is broken for armhf. That is v69.

I tried using Chromium v67, but it runs like a slideshow. My v65 runs ok.

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:01 pm

SurferTim wrote:

Yes, it definitely is. I'm running 65.0.3325.181 right now, and it's absolutely broken.
Last edited by Schlendrian on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SurferTim

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:01 pm
SurferTim wrote:

Yes, it definitely is. I'm running 65.0.3325.181 right now, and it's absolutely broken.
I'm running the same v65, and I can run 720p videos on YouTube fine.

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm running the same v65, and I can run 720p videos on YouTube fine.

Well, I just noticed, that it's the same version that comes with Raspbian 2018-06-27. Strangely it downloaded an updated version, but the version number didn't change at all (why?).

So, either it's this new version (that somehow has no new version number), that causes the problems (which is hard to tell, since version numbers didn't change), or it's Kernel related, because I'm now running on 4.14.70-v7+.

My guess is, it's the Kernel. The last version was so broken, you couldn't even shutdown Raspbian anymore and the Pi would freeze randomly.

SurferTim

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:11 pm
Well, I just noticed, that it's the same version that comes with Raspbian 2018-06-27. Strangely it downloaded an updated version, but the version number didn't change at all (why?).

So, either it's this new version (that somehow has no new version number), that causes the problems (which is hard to tell, since version numbers didn't change), or it's Kernel related, because I'm now running on 4.14.70-v7+.

My guess is, it's the Kernel. The last version was so broken, you couldn't even shutdown Raspbian anymore and the Pi would freeze randomly.
That is the same kernel version I am running. 4.14.70-v7+. ??

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:33 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:20 pm

That is the same kernel version I am running. 4.14.70-v7+. ??

Well, then let this video run in fullscreen in 720p (with a desktop resolution set to 1080p): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZBJ9sdp45M

It won't play fine. Not at all. It stutters, lags and hangs.

mikekscholz

Re: Newest Kernel and / or Chromium broken

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Ive been having these problems as well.... Like to a T. And ive been running my memory split at 256 from the beginning because this is mainly intended to be a video pi. I get the cut outs and the phantom loading spin and everything... Nothing fixes it but a reboot for me though. Also when ever it happens it kills my bluetooth and I cant even reconnect my headphones without a reboot either.... Same problems have been happening with all videos... omx player, and FFmpeg with mpv... Im currently in process of clean install and rebuild of FFmpeg..... Again.

ps... im running a 3b+ with an 800x480 display attached directly to the headers in dpi mode
Last edited by mikekscholz on Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SurferTim

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:40 pm

The video is 1080p/60fps, and yes, it stutters at the beginning (first few seconds). Once it gets rolling, it appears to do ok all the way to the end.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but i installed the Pepper video player in an attempt to play Netflix and Amazon Prime.

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:41 pm

mikekscholz wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:35 pm
Ive been having these problems as well.... Like to a T. And ive been running my memory split at 256 from the beginning because this is mainly intended to be a video pi. I get the cut outs and the phantom loading spin and everything... Nothing fixes it but a reboot for me though. Also when ever it happens it kills my bluetooth and I cant even reconnect my headphones without a reboot either.... Same problems have been happening with all videos... omx player, and FFmpeg with mpv... Im currently in process of clean install and rebuild of FFmpeg..... Again.
When this happens, what does 'vcgencmd get_throttled' report? What pi model is this? Mostly interested in the omxplayer case, because there's the least that could go wrong there. Does it happen with any video at all regardless of resolution and codec?

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:55 pm

SurferTim wrote:
The video is 1080p/60fps, and yes, it stutters at the beginning (first few seconds). Once it gets rolling, it appears to do ok all the way to the end.
It's impossible to run videos in [email protected] at a desktop resolution of 1080p on a Pi.

I have been running this at 30fps by disabling 60fps via the h264ify extension.

Since WiFi, shutdown command, Bluetooth, CPU usage, Swap, aswell as lots of other things are broken now, that worked perfectly beforehand, I come to the conclusion, that updates don't get tested at all. They just get rolled out, and they're completely messing up Raspbian and making it unusable. It's really sad, but it's nothing new to Linux

Instead of fixing problems, keeping a system stable and fast, it gets worse and slower with every update.

I won't update anymore, and I'll stick to my 06-27-2018 version.

SurferTim

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:55 pm
SurferTim wrote:
It's impossible to run videos in [email protected] at a desktop resolution of 1080p on a Pi.

I have been running this at 30fps by disabling 60fps via the h264ify extension.
If you know the RPi can't do it, then why are you trying to stream it?

BTW, my version resorts to 480p to stream it. My Tinker Board resorts to 720p/60fps to stream it. Maybe you need more butt to do what you want.

Schlendrian

Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm

SurferTim wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

If you know the RPi can't do it, then why are you trying to stream it?
What does this "I have been running this at 30fps by disabling 60fps via the h264ify extension." tell you?

BTW, my version resorts to 480p to stream it. My Tinker Board resorts to 720p/60fps to stream it. Maybe you need more butt to do what you want.
How often do I have to repeat myself? I wrote several times: At a desktop resolution of 1080p.

I can run videos at [email protected] on a Pi at a desktop resolution of 480p, too. But that's not what I'm asking for here.

Please stop responding, if you don't read correctly.

Schlendrian

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm

Just did some in-depth testing and comparison between my Raspberry Pi 3B and my Raspberry Pi 3B+. It is definitely the Kernel and the 3B+'s firmware, that's an absolute mess.

I knew in the beginning, that buying a 3B+ was a huge mistake, because everybody was already complaining about it. But I didn't know, that it's all still an issue after so many updates and "fixes" (should call them "damages").

So, since delevopers are incapable of repairing their stuff, as it seems, I do not recommend buying and using a 3B+ as your main system.

I will continue using my 3B. It's much faster and much more stable, and it doesn't have any of the issues the 3B+ has.

Joel_Mckay

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 pm

Schlendrian wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 pm
Just did some in-depth testing and comparison between my Raspberry Pi 3B and my Raspberry Pi 3B+. It is definitely the Kernel and the 3B+'s firmware, that's an absolute mess.
I wasn't going to reply based on the bad karma behavior here, but our local group did encounter a vc4 glitch that would hang X11 once in awhile if using the 3D accelerated module.
Several months ago, I simply went to the kernel vc maintainers git bug report page with the logs, and ended up getting a patch from their kind maintainers to build the custom pi3B+ kernel we needed: https://sourceforge.net/projects/microm ... spberry-pi
Since the RTlinux Stretch OS is based on an read-only overlayfs root, it is actually initially version locked to a clone of my desktop. However, note the documented "reload the browser once" bug... you need to restart the browser on a plug-in page once to properly get the vc4 memory work-around to load.
I used midori and not chromium given the project focus is on the machinery we used, and VLC with gpu support will play 720p full screen h264 if the file is opened locally. We use this classic video to benchmark various setups:
http://download.blender.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/

It could also be your network is under heavy use and is throttling your streams, or you have various background updates running (my pet peeve about systemd). My pi3B+ has been noticeably faster than the older pi3, does draw more power, and requires fan blown heat-sinks to run full 100% loads over a few seconds (or it will throttle back due to temperature).

Best of luck,
~J~

Schlendrian

Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:56 am

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:20 pm

I wasn't going to reply based on the bad karma behavior here
I'm not a Hindu, so I don't care about their concept of being reborn.

but our local group did encounter a vc4 glitch that would hang X11 once in awhile if using the 3D accelerated module.
Several months ago, I simply went to the kernel vc maintainers git bug report page with the logs, and ended up getting a patch from their kind maintainers to build the custom pi3B+ kernel we needed: https://sourceforge.net/projects/microm ... spberry-pi
Since the RTlinux Stretch OS is based on an read-only overlayfs root, it is actually initially version locked to a clone of my desktop. However, note the documented "reload the browser once" bug... you need to restart the browser on a plug-in page once to properly get the vc4 memory work-around to load.
I used midori and not chromium given the project focus is on the machinery we used, and VLC with gpu support will play 720p full screen h264 if the file is opened locally. We use this classic video to benchmark various setups:
http://download.blender.org/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/
You can also play locally stored 1080p videos via Chromium. It works out of the box. No need for VLC or Kodi.

The experimental GL Driver also has some strange bug, that causes the Pi to freeze, when trying to lower the desktop resolution (e.g. via raspi-config and / or config.txt). It will automatically set the resolution to 1080p, ignoring the actual screen resolution of the device it's connected to (e.g. a 7 Inch LCD screen, which only can handle 480p).

Also Chromium is running very slowly and YouTube crashes while using the GL Driver, even when disabling Chromium's hardware acceleration.

It could also be your network is under heavy use and is throttling your streams, or you have various background updates running (my pet peeve about systemd). My pi3B+ has been noticeably faster than the older pi3, does draw more power, and requires fan blown heat-sinks to run full 100% loads over a few seconds (or it will throttle back due to temperature).
I have a 125 MBit Internet connection. I don't think, it's my network. YouTube only need a maximum of 150 KB to play a video at 720p.

I don't know about background updates. How can I find that out?

Joel_Mckay

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 am

Schlendrian wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:56 am
I have a 125 MBit Internet connection. I don't think, it's my network. YouTube only need a maximum of 150 KB to play a video at 720p.

I don't know about background updates. How can I find that out?
sudo cat /etc/systemd/journald.conf
sudo systemctl status packagekit
sudo systemctl status cups.service
sudo systemctl status colord
sudo cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades

#or during a test playback run this in a terminal to see if you pinned the cpu cores...
htop
#you may find the CPU heat sink may be needed

#to override the default login screen resolution we used (desktop settings persist):
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[Seat:*]
display-setup-script=xrandr --output HDMI-1 --mode 1024x768
allow-guest=false

#...and we are using the OpenGL module, old chromium Flash .so object for the midori plugins, and steam the full-screen BBC videos just fine with less than 68% on a single cpu core.

#To enable the chromium GPU acceleration:
# 1. people generally enable the OpenGL module
# 2. and remove "--disable-gpu-compositing'' from /etc/chromium-browser/customizations/00-rpi-var
# Incidentally, I left chromium out of our release given it rendered a webpage too slowly for my taste, ate ram, and the plugin settings page was almost unusable without gpu acceleration enabled. ;-)

You should still consider apologizing to the people that took the time to try and assist you. Getting angry won't help you, as I have known a few ex-service people over the years with high-stress cortisol related burn-out, and it is just an unhealthy way to live as several international institutional studies have proven.

Cheers,
~J~

Schlendrian

Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Joel_Mckay wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:16 am

sudo cat /etc/systemd/journald.conf
sudo systemctl status packagekit
sudo systemctl status cups.service
sudo systemctl status colord
sudo cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
This doesn't do anything :?: cups.service couldn't even be found (maybe, because I dont't have printer set up?).

#or during a test playback run this in a terminal to see if you pinned the cpu cores...
htop
#you may find the CPU heat sink may be needed
I have a heat sink. Overheating is not the problem. The problem is, that things don't work with the newest updates, that worked flawlessly beforehand.

You should still consider apologizing to the people that took the time to try and assist you. Getting angry won't help you, as I have known a few ex-service people over the years with high-stress cortisol related burn-out, and it is just an unhealthy way to live as several international institutional studies have proven.
Well, I surely appreciate any help. I didn't insult anyone, and I'm also not angry. I'm only very disappointed, because I use the Pi as my main system (I don't see, why I should pay 400€ and more for a "normal" PC, if a 35€ PC does exactly the same), and I need a reliable system to work with. It can't work with a randomly freezing system.

I understand, that maintaining a Kernel, Software and Firmware is very hard and stressful work. The problem is, that developers seem to try fixing problems, that aren't there. Things get destroyed for no reason. Why would you fix something, that doesn't need to be fixed? I mean, I'm not the only person complaining about all the issues, that came with the newest updates.

Why don't get things tested, before releasing updates? Do some everyday tasks for testing. Let YouTube videos run, fire up DOSBox and QEMU, try connecting to several WiFi networks (by the way: why can't the Pi connect to WiFi-Hotspots? They're grayed out), try connecting Bluetooth devices, try enabling the GL Driver, and so on. It can't be that hard. If you come across problems, then try to fix them - not the other way around.

See, I'm not here to harm anyone. Criticizing mistakes should be allowed. If people get hurt by critique and stop responding, it's not my fault.
Last edited by Schlendrian on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Troubleshooting”