DominikPalo

mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)

Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:39 pm

I bought 2 identical SD cards - Kingston 8GB Class10 (SD10V/8GB). I flashed latest Raspbian Wheezy on both of them.

Card A working OK, but when I try to boot RasPi from Card B, I get error messages:

Code: Select all

mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s) 
mmc0: Timeout waiting for hardware interrupt - cmd13.
and lot of messages: ...I/O error, dev mcblk0, sector...

I tried to format this card more times, flash older versions of Raspbian, but still same problem :( I also tested this card in digital camera and tablet - it worked ok.

Any ideas?

plus

Re: mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 pm

the same issue here on SEPT raspbian, now trying with the last october image.....I will let you know.

Frodo1B

Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:06 pm

Same issue with 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian and a 16GB Kingston class 10 card.

eltoddo

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm

I'm having this same problem with a Kingston SD card I bought yesterday. This is super frustrating. I thought maybe my new download of Raspbian (2012-10-28-wheezy-raspbian.zip) was corrupted, but the SHA-1 has checks out.

Using an old known-good download of the 2012-07-15-wheezy-raspbian.zip still didn't work with the same problems.

Switching SD Cards allowed both images to boot. This SD card is defective as far as I'm concerned.

I'm going to avoid buying any Kingston SD cards until a cause can be identified and fixed in software.

My Kingston SD Card is a 16 GB with "SD10V/16GBCR" written on the package.

metaltailz

Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:54 pm

I've got the same problem with a 8GB class 10 SD card (SD10V/8GB), I've resorted to using another SD card I had around the house but it would be nice to get this one working.

Any help?

Frodo1B

Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:26 am

I have six Kingston 18GB class 10 cards now, and when I received the first three about two weeks ago I thought that I have finally found the perfect SDHC card for the Pi, so I ordered three more and all three of the newer ones have this same problem. Hopefully this is some sort of timing issue that will eventually be solved in software. So the boot up just hangs at this point and cannot continue.

alexlau811

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:34 am

Hey guys I have exactly the same problem and same card model (Kingston Class 10 32GB, SD10V).

I followed the wiki guide stating that this card is a "working card" but unfortunately I really cannot get this card working. I tried many versions of firmware but still no luck. At last I bought a new Toshiba Class 10 16GB card and it works perfectly.

I think the wiki should be updated so next time someone can be warned.

itimpi

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:39 am

alexlau811 wrote: I think the wiki should be updated so next time someone can be warned.
Anybody can register and update the wiki, so why not do this yourself?

tufty

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 am

It may well be that this is a software / firmware issue, albeit tickled by 'edge case' cards.

This post on the bare metal forum implies that the behaviour of the sd card controller is not exactly as one might expect (my guess would be that broadcom's mods to the ip block in question have introduced or exacerbated some odd behaviour, but IANABW*); the linux driver, being written to what the hardware's /supposed/ to do, is likely to get its tits in a twist if the controller goes off on one.

At a first guess, you'd probably start by looking here : https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... /mmc/core/

Simon

*I am not a broadcom wonk

Disconnect

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 pm

FWIW I am getting the same errors with two brand new Maxell "maxdata" 8g class 10 cards. I may have to return them and get something else :/ (They were recommended by MCM specifically for the Pi..)

I was worried my brand new pis were bad, but it is running fine on an old 2g microsd (plus adapter) that I had laying around..

gtoal

Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:51 am

Add me to the throng. I bought a bunch of Patriot LX Series 8Gb Micro SDHC (with adapter) cards so I could try out a few more RPi distros without reformatting every time, and I'm getting this behaviour too with the November Wheezy which I wanted to try to see if my Wifi dongle was supported now.

(Love the RiscOS release by the way, it's great to be back in Acorn-land again after all these years.)

Graham Toal

Frodo1B

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:41 am

This seems to be related to the performance of the various batches of SDHC cards from the vendors.

My first experience with this issue was with Kingston cards, but my best performing cards are the same models from Kingston and now I have seen the same type of issue with certain Transend cards and my only SanDisk Extreme card also has a booting issue but it it different that this issue. It just crashes the kernel regardless of which OS or version that I put on the card.

I suspect that a lot of folks who have RPis that will not start are having the same SDHC card problems, but they have no other cards to test with.

The one card that I ordered from RS that came with my Pi would not boot either, but reported no error.

Is there anyone from the foundation that we can send problem cards to, so they can determine a root cause?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:59 am

Frodo1B wrote:Is there anyone from the foundation that we can send problem cards to, so they can determine a root cause?
I'll check to see if we still need odd cards.

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 pm

Check this thread, it may be worth posting results there.

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php ... 6#pid36196

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gtoal

Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:00 pm

Given that I can't boot with these cards, short of videoing the display, I don't think I have any way of logging the errors. But I'll be happy to send the micro SD card to anyone that can use it to make sense of this problem. (Noting however that I'm in Texas and it might take a couple of weeks to get there, if 'there' is in the UK)

G

KyleS

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:58 am

Just bought a 512MB unit today (First Pi ever! :) ) and was burned by this. Does anyone know if the Arch image works? or should I try the older Gentoo one?

Thanks,
Kyle.

dero

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:41 am

Hi, can you please try the kernel.img posted here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 28&t=23227 and post your logs?

I am currently chasing -84 errors...

dero

Code: Select all

static int __trace( const char* file, const int line ) { pr_info( "#TRACE %s:%d\n", file, line ); return 1; }
#define return if( __trace( __FILE__, __LINE__) == 0 ) {} else return
#undef pr_debug
#define pr_debug pr_info

JKN
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 pm

Any news on this case? Is there a possibility of it being fixed in the future or should we completely avoid these SD10V-cards from Kingston?

macbraughton

Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Same problem here with Kingston SD10V/32GB running both the latest wheezy Raspbian and the beta from June. I have an older Transcend Class 6 - 4GB SD Card that I put the latest Raspbian on and it works fine. I just got a couple Pi's today and bought two of the Kingston Cards because they were on sale and the wiki said that they worked. Add me to the list of frustrated people. Guess I'll have to put up with the older cards until this bug is worked out.

dnetman99

Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 pm

This hit me today. Have 2 256 PI's that had been up for about 14 days, but running on these cards for about 2-3 months or so. Shutdown properly and made a backup image and now I get this trying to boot either one with the same cards and even with brand new images of wheezy and adafruits occidentalis.

Is there any way to recover this when it will not boot? Do I have 2 bad PI's for some how at the same time? This makes no sense to just start happening. I have now tried 6 different SD cards all but 2 the same type 8gb class 10 with the same results on both devices.

Does anyone have any guidance?

dnetman99

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:47 am

Same results no matter which SD card I try. Hard to believe 2 die on the same day, but I have 2 512 showing up today that are replacements for 2 I received last week dead. So I will try the same cards in them and see what may be happening.

BTW, voltage is good across tp1 and tp2, so its not power and it does not matter whether it is current wheezy image or current occidentalis, both have same error. The only thing I get to boot is my back up RASPBMC, which boots fine. Seems even more odd.

Thanks

dom

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 am

dnetman99 wrote:BTW, voltage is good across tp1 and tp2, so its not power and it does not matter whether it is current wheezy image or current occidentalis, both have same error. The only thing I get to boot is my back up RASPBMC, which boots fine. Seems even more odd.
Raspbmc uses a bleeding edge kernel which has a "retry" fix in sdcard driver.
If you run:
sudo rp-update
you would get that fix. rpi-update can be run from a different linux machine, but it may be easier to just grab the latest kernel:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware ... kernel.img
put it on sdcard and see if that boots. If it does you can run rpi-update.

dnetman99

Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:25 pm

So no luck with that. I did however change to class 4 SD card and all works fine so far. Still makes no sense after 3 months why on this reboot all the class 10 cards stopped working. I mean I have 4 new ones that had never been used that work in my linux laptop, windows desktop but no image will allow them to boot. Is there any reasonable explanation why my class 10 cards are now useless my 256 and 512 pi's?

In either case atleast I am working again on something, just cost me more cards and alot of useless ones now.

Any other information would be great. Oh yea all the class 10 are 8gb and microcenter brand. All the class 4 are 8gb and microcenter brand as well.

Thanks

Mastazee

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:58 pm

I bought an Apacer 8gb class 10SDHC card also not working, but my Sandisk extreme 30mb/s card is working perfectly :evil:

broken64

Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:13 pm

Does anybody know how to fix this?

I bought three Kingston 8GB Class 10 sd cards for my three new Pi's and none of them works!
I was very happy to play with them but now I'm so sad :(
Sdcards aren't really cheap in my country and the most common brand is Kingston.

I tried lastest Raspbian and Arch Linux builds, also I did a rpi-update. I tried 3.6 and 3.9 kernel. None of them works, I get this strange error everytime!

'mmc0: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)'

Return to “Troubleshooting”